What are the sonic benefits to improving phase?

tjcinnamon

What is the sonic benefit of improving phase response? I’ve got a lot of experiencing EQ’ing with a miniDSP for improving/flattening frequency response but I have no clue what improving phase response does.

Also, is it only good to do below a certain frequency?

Do I measure from my seated position?

Is it only able to be “manually” manipulated with a convolution file?

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
What is the sonic benefit of improving phase response? I’ve got a lot of experiencing EQ’ing with a miniDSP for improving/flattening frequency response but I have no clue what improving phase response does.

Also, is it only good to do below a certain frequency?
can
Do I measure from my seated position?

Is it only able to be “manually” manipulated with a convolution file?
Improving the relative phase response between the Left and Right front main speakers can be a huge contributor toward sharpening your Soundstage and Imaging.

There are those who will advise doing that only below your room's transition frequency, or below 500 Hz or so. That applies if your room is fairly live. If the front of your room very dead, like mine, and you have highly directive speakers (open baffle, panel, horn), you can EQ your room full range.

For room correction, always measure from the Listening Position.

Dirac Live performs phase correction, impulse response correction, and amplitude correction, and is an amazing product.

tjcinnamon

Improving the relative phase response between the Left and Right front main speakers can be a huge contributor toward sharpening your Soundstage and Imaging.

There are those who will advise doing that only below your room's transition frequency, or below 500 Hz or so. That applies if your room is fairly live. If the front of your room very dead, like mine, and you have highly directive speakers (open baffle, panel, horn), you can EQ your room full range.

For room correction, always measure from the Listening Position.

Dirac Live performs phase correction, impulse response correction, and amplitude correction, and is an amazing product.
I had Dirac and it was nice but not flexiblle enough in the AVR I had. My room is very dead up front. So I can/do correct full range.

I’m a fan of Audysseys dynamic EQ. However, I just sold my AVR with Dirac to a friend. We set it up and it was very good in his room.

I want to upgrade to a Denon/Marantz higher model so I have to option for both.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Cool. The only thing I don't care for about Dynamic EQ is that it sometimes seemed to shift images back & forth with volume changes.. Glad you like it, though.

Good luck with your journey!

tjcinnamon

Cool. The only thing I don't care for about Dynamic EQ is that it sometimes seemed to shift images back & forth with volume changes.. Glad you like it, though.

Good luck with your journey!
Thanks much for the very kind words.

I’m now running LR Bypass and it’s giving me a super flat response. So I guess I was eq’ing unnecessarily. I am still running DEQ but I is not EQ’ing, just doing it’s boost.

serko70

More  
Marantz SR6015
Main Amp
Rotel Michi X3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC
DAC
Oppo 205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 205
Front Speakers
Focal Kanta 2
Center Channel Speaker
Linn
Surround Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Surround Back Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Front Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Rear Height Speakers
Focal Dome Flax
Subwoofers
Focal Air
Video Display Device
LG 65 3D OLED
Streaming Subscriptions
TIDAL, ROON
On top of the improved left & right speaker cohesion as AudiocRaver mentions above, almost every speaker with passive crossovers will benefit from phase linearization at the crossover frequency. Most speaker box types (excl. open baffles) will also benefit from a box/port phase correction in the lower bass region.
It's possible to apply a phase correction convolution with the limited taps of MiniDSP as long as you keep the correction to just the XOs. Lower bass area phase corrections are not going to be possible.
Dynamic EQ applies different LF and HF boosts to different channels (ie higher surround volume and even higher height channel volume) which in my opinion is based on an old and incomplete research. It helps lift up Audyssey's excessively rolled of HF house curve. If LF is managed independently (ie MiniDSP), its effect on the bass is inaudible so some people tend to like it. But it measures unacceptably out of order at normal listening levels if the speaker is calibrated correctly otherwise.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
I feel that Room Correction EQ should be a static baseline and any additional "Dynamic EQ" or "Tone Shaping" would come later in the signal chain... Then perhaps a compressor and/or limiter...

Last edited:
Top Bottom