SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
Jordans.jpg
I have 2 issues that I have yet to figure out over a 40 hr period. I can not get the volume level high enough to record an accurate graph. I'm thinking my soundcard preferences are set wrong. And one more item. When I save a file whether it be right or wrong I can't seem to retrieve it, find it anywhere in my downloads to connect it to a Mini DSP. help appreciated thanks. Heres a measurement with -96db volume.

Attachments

• Jordans.mdat
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

mkane

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
When I save the EQ settings they seem to go into thin air. In other words, I can't find them to load into the Mini DSP

Almoped

Registered
I would suggest 'flicking switches' in the input device section of the REW preferences, in the OS sound settings and possibly in the soundcard specific software and hardware. But after +40 hours I guess you have already done so.

Can you get any reading from the level meters in REW that correspond with what the microphone should pick up?

What soundcard and operating system do you use?

Can you locate the EQ settings file that REW supposedly saves by using something like Finder or Windows Explorer?

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
meter readings Are -95. Operating system is Windows 10. I can finds the files. They just won't open. I suppose that the format there saved in isn't correct. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it come's to using a PC. Thanks for your reply. When I return from the post office I'll get right back on this

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
Thanks and back at it.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
SPL meter volume @ 25db. Can't seem to get it higher. I have USB cable going PC to mic, 3.5mm rca cable from PC to Y splitters to input of passive pre amp. Levels control shows -75. Can't seem to change it. Thanks

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Few things to sort out:
  • You have stereo mix selected as the input device. That is a sort of internal loopback connection, it can't be used for measurement. Looking at your cal file selection I'm guessing you may be using a UMIK to measure so select the UMIK as the input device
  • After selecting an input device, select an input
  • Select an output as well as an output device, assuming there is more than 'Default output' in the output list
  • You have loaded the mic cal file as both the mic cal and the soundcard cal, remove it from the soundcard cal by clearing the entry on the Soundcard preferences (the Clear Cal button)
  • You don't need soundcard calibration when using a USB mic so don't worry about that

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Note that your output is selected as a digital output, so an RCA won't work for that - probably need to select a different output device/output

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Note also that you should use 'Save filter coefficients to file' in the Filter Tasks pane of the EQ window to produce a file a miniDSP equaliser can use.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
thanks and I'll get on it. Can I just not use the rca cable. Seems to effect volume and i get noise thru speakers using it.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There's nothing wrong with using the RCA cable as long as you have selected an output device that sends a signal to it.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
still no luv. I'll keep at though. i can yell into the mic and spl meter doesn't change.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
What sorry is I had this working the first time I set it up. Should I be using Java or ASIO?

Last edited:

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
When I use ASIO I get a -487db when doing a level check

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
If I could change ref phase & gain I may get somewhere. patience is a virtue.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
in the ASIO control panel Realtek HI Def Audio is active. USB audio device is not.

Almoped

Registered
I would switch to Java drivers and get the microphone setup as such that yelling at it or just moving it allows a sensible change to be read on levelmeters.

Then set subwoofer gain in the middle and phase to 0 for the time being, if it has a crossover/frequency setting I'd put it at it's highest frequency.

Then get the computer to output sound which can be heard through the subwoofer.
Then see if any of the guides in the sticky thread made sense.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
Thanks for the reply. I have a issue I can't seem to figure out at the moment and that just static when thru the speakers hen I try and check levels. And this is set up to an analog system, turntable and open baffle speakers. I'm trying to measure full range drivers so do I still select sub woofer level ? thanks.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
I get a SPL meter audio output not available warning when I try and make a measurement. I thing I've solved the static issue by turning off the sounds mixer.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
checked again, SPL meter will not turn on.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Turning off the sounds mixer? Not sure what that means, not something I've ever known to be necessary though and likely to break the operation of audio devices. The 'static noise' when you check levels is probably the pink noise signal that gets played, it is supposed to sound like that. The basic process of getting things set up and running is pretty straightforward, and detailed in the REW help. There is no need to do anything with ASIO. Post an image of the REW soundcard preferences, and attach the file that is produced when you click 'Generate debug file' on the soundcard preferences, those will provide enough info to help get the inputs and outputs set up correctly.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
Awesome and thanks. Somehow I got my PC into something called power port mode and I couldn't even access REW. Took almost 2 hrs. to sort it out.

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3
Front Speakers
OB
Streaming Subscriptions
turntable
Big X over speaker Icon in lower rt corner of screen. can't seem to make it smaller

Attachments

• soundcard_debug.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 13

mkane

Registered
More  
passive
Main Amp
SE45
Additional Amp
se2a3