REW Beta Release V5.20 beta versions 19 to 28

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sounds like you need to reenable mic access for REW in the System Preferences.

Enrico Castagnetti

Registered
Sounds like you need to reenable mic access for REW in the System Preferences.

Not sure what that's mean but everything looks fine on System Preferences and Audio Midi Setup. Still not getting signal from the UMIK-1 on REW nor on the REW SPL Meter.

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 2.11.47 PM.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Changes in V5.20 beta 27:
  • Following some discussion of REW's fractional octave smoothing appearing overly smoothed at higher octave fractions the smoothing has been adjusted to be a little closer to a power average (as often used by other analysis packages) for those cases
  • The RTA THD figure has been extended to include harmonics up to the 50th, or as many as fit within the bandwidth of the data sample rate if lower
  • A Higher Harmonic Distortion figure has been added to the RTA showing the contribution of the 10th and higher harmonics
  • The RTA peak trace now reflects the highest levels of each block processed rather than the highest level of the averaged trace
  • The default RTA window on first installation is now Hann
  • The current SPL calibration data offset is used for imported impulse response WAV files instead of a default offset
  • A control has been added to show/hide the spectrogram colour bar
  • The phase trace colour is adjusted to ensure it isn't too light when using light background
  • On low resolution screens a scroll bar is used in the graph legend if it requires more than 4 rows
  • Added a check for zero-valued mic data on macOS with a warning to check mic access is enabled if detected
  • Bug fix: An exception could occur when starting the SPL logger
  • Bug fix: Guard against reported error arising from an invalid trace index

charleski

Registered
Sorry that my first post here is a moan, but beta 27 seems to have broken the RTA analyser. I've been using it to measure distortion on offline measurements taken from my LG G7 phone, recording the headphone output through my onboard audio and then dropping the wav file onto the RTA window. In beta 26 this would work intermittently, sometimes producing a java error, and sometimes just freezing at the end of the file load, but it would still identify the peaks correctly and show a proper result in the distortion window.

In beta 27 though this doesn't work at all. It doesn't identify the peaks and shows a nonsense result. I've attached a screenshot of the screen I get.
Here's the full java error text:
Code:
REW V5.20 Beta 27 running JRE 1.8.0_181 64-bit on Windows 10, en, windows-1252

Stack Trace:
    roomeqwizard.WD$_C.H(y:2516)
    roomeqwizard.WD.propertyChange(y:2712)
    java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.fire(Unknown Source)
    java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(Unknown Source)
    javax.swing.event.SwingPropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(Unknown Source)
    roomeqwizard.MeasData$8.run(y:1614)
    java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

I hope this is useful

Attachments

• rew error.jpg
    rew error.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 29

John Mulcahy

REW Author
beta 27 seems to have broken the RTA analyser. I've been using it to measure distortion on offline measurements taken from my LG G7 phone, recording the headphone output through my onboard audio and then dropping the wav file onto the RTA window.
Thanks, I've fixed that for the next build.

Breeman

Hi John,

It would be appreciated if you could consider adding the ability to export multiple impulse responses at once if you have taken a few measurements. Something like "Export all impulse responses as WAV" "will be great. Currently one is only able to export one impulse response for one measurement at the time.

JMB

Hi John,
Any chance to measure multiple angles automatically and then combine and/or export into a power response curve?
Thanks,
Jay

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It would be appreciated if you could consider adding the ability to export multiple impulse responses at once if you have taken a few measurements. Something like "Export all impulse responses as WAV"
That's been on the todo list for quite a while, but I've implemented it for the next build.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Any chance to measure multiple angles automatically and then combine and/or export into a power response curve?
REW can't automatically measure multiple angles since it can't interact with anything to change the position of the speaker or measurement equipment. It does allow automatic incrementing of the measurement name to reflect the angles you measure at. VituixCAD can import REW measurements made at multiple angles.

JMB

Thanks John. I was thinking about something like software automation that might allow for a manual turntable with timed and automatically named angle measurements. I am relatively new to REW so I apologize if REW already has the capability of doing this.
Jay

Breeman

HI,

On version 5.20 beta27 it seems there is no way of showing individual filters on the EQ screen, without their overall target. I may be wrong but I seem to recall that one could do this in earlier versions. Now Filters+Target and Filter check boxes seem to do the same thing. In the image below, I may not necessarily want to see the graph shown by the arrow.
Snap90.png

Breeman

Feature request:).

It would be appreciated John if we could be able to quickly calculate the power average of the measurements (as currently implemented in the All SPL tab), but with complex phase; kind of a combination of "Average the Responses" for magnitude responses and "Vector average" for phase responses in one go. Thanks.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
HI,

On version 5.20 beta27 it seems there is no way of showing individual filters on the EQ screen, without their overall target. I may be wrong but I seem to recall that one could do this in earlier versions. Now Filters+Target and Filter check boxes seem to do the same thing. In the image below, I may not necessarily want to see the graph shown by the arrow.
If you don't want to see the filters trace don't select it in the legend.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It would be appreciated John if we could be able to quickly calculate the power average of the measurements (as currently implemented in the All SPL tab), but with complex phase; kind of a combination of "Average the Responses" for magnitude responses and "Vector average" for phase responses in one go.
Vector average is magnitude and phase, that's what makes it "vector".

Breeman

Vector average is magnitude and phase, that's what makes it "vector".
Yes I know:). Vector averaging tends to lead to loss of energy at higher frequencies which I've read in some literature it's not perceptualy, an accurate respresentation of what we hear in certain circumstances. I am therefore keen to experiment with using the phase calculated by Vector averaging together with power averaging to assess the perceptual differences if any, between the two.

Breeman

I noticed that some CSD controls in the EQ tab are greyed out. How does one change the colour scheme of the CSD plot from within this tab?
Snap96.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I just want to see individual filters and not combined filter response as shown below, superimposed on individual filter responses.
That isn't possible and never has been, otherwise there would still be filter traces on the graph with nothing selected in the graph legend.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I am therefore keen to experiment with using the phase calculated by Vector averaging together with power averaging to assess the perceptual differences if any, between the two.
What is the perceptual impact of a phase trace on a graph? If you want to see both power and vector average results, generate them both.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I noticed that some CSD controls in the EQ tab are greyed out. How does one change the colour scheme of the CSD plot from within this tab?
Colour schemes are not offered for the EQ waterfall because of their impact on redraw time when updating the predicted waterfall.

Top Bottom