REW Beta Release V5.20 beta versions 19 to 28

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Changes in V5.20 beta 19:

The main change in this release is that the miniDSP EARS headphone measurement system is now a recognised USB mic. EARS has left and right microphones with individual calibration files, which is supported by the new cal files system. The correct file is selected automatically for the input channel being measured. The EARS unit has switches to select the internal mic gain (the default is 18 dB). REW extracts the gain figure from the device name and takes it into account in the SPL calibration. Note that on Windows the name shown in the Windows Sound controls and in the mixer selections remains the one containing the gain setting when the device was first connected, even if it is changed afterwards. REW extracts the 'real' name containing the gain being used from the Windows registry. On macOS and Linux the name updates when the gain changes, but in all cases it is necessary to disconnect and reconnect EARS to pick up the new gain. The recommended process is to exit REW, disconnect EARS, change the gain, reconnect EARS and restart REW.

The other changes are:
  • The tone generator harmonic distortion controls now allow harmonic levels down to -150 dB
  • When an input or output device is selected REW will automatically select the first input or output for the device rather than leaving the selection as default
  • When prompting for the calibration file for a USB mic a mic calibration files dialog is shown rather than showing a file chooser directly, that makes it easier to choose different files for each channel. Note that even if a mic has the same data on each channel (link the UMIK-1, UMM-6 etc) it can still be handy to use the per-channel cal files option and load a zero degree file for one channel and a 90 degree file for the other, switching between cal files can then be done by simply changing the input channel.
  • A "Close" button has been added to the cal files dialog
  • If FlexASIO is being used and a UMIK-1 is connected REW will assume the selected FlexASIO input is the UMIK-1. That is because FlexASIO has generic channel names that don't show the actual device, an enhancement to FlexASIO may address that in a future release.
  • The 1.5GB memory allocation option for Windows 32-bit installations has been removed as it was likely to result in the application not starting

There are a couple of bug fixes:
  • Bug fix: Saving a soundcard calibration measurement as a cal file was not updating the cal file entry
  • Bug fix: Plotting of modal resonances from the resonance analysis pane was broken in beta 16

John Mulcahy

REW Author
V5.20 beta 20 has fairly minor changes:

• Added support for 768 kHz on ASIO. This has been tested for replay (on an RME ADI-2 DAC) but not for capture.
  • When calculating the target level for a Full range target use the measurement data from 200 Hz to 2000 Hz rather than from the LF cutoff to 2000 Hz to avoid the region most affected by room resonances
  • Added support for a sensitivity figure in analog mic cal files. Format is: Sensitivity -12.3 dBFS where the dBFS value is the input level REW sees when the mic sees 94 dB SPL. Note that it will only be valid for the input gain and input volume settings that were used when the sensitivity was measured.
  • Changed RTA save buttons to use a save icon instead of a save as icon
  • Bug fix: RTA peak sample display was incorrect
  • Bug fix: 192k capture could fail to start

Bernard

Hi John,
Got this message when I shut REW V5.20 beta 20 down :

Exception during shutdown
Message: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -12
Level: SEVERE
Stack Trace:
String index out of range: -12
java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
roomeqwizard.CalData.calFileLoader(y:130)
roomeqwizard.gB.A(y:78)
roomeqwizard.PF.B(y:1556)
roomeqwizard.PF.B(y:2712)
roomeqwizard.PF.B(y:151)
roomeqwizard.PF.I(y:2846)
roomeqwizard.WC.A(y:2686)
roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard.L(y:2922)
roomeqwizard.gB.M(y:2694)
roomeqwizard.SE$8.windowClosing(y:2500)
java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)

Bernard

Can you attach copies of the cal files you are using, Bernard?
7:15 PM UK time :
This happens even if I do not open any files. If I open REW and close it immediately, I receive the same message.

7:20 PM UK time :
I just run "delete preferences and shut down" and the error message no longer appears when REW is closed.
At the next beta update, I will do the same thing before using the new version!
Sorry for the inconvenience.
:T

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The error was related to processing a mic cal file, it would be helpful to see the cal files that were being used.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It would have been a mic cal file, not a soundcard file. Did you have any mic cal file referenced in the system anywhere? Nothing attached by the way, you might need to change the file extensions to .txt to attach them.

It really should not be necessary to delete preferences for a new version and I don't recommend you do that.

Bernard

It would have been a mic cal file, not a soundcard file. Did you have any mic cal file referenced in the system anywhere? Nothing attached by the way, you might need to change the file extensions to .txt to attach them.

It really should not be necessary to delete preferences for a new version and I don't recommend you do that.
This morning, the company Haliotis (which represents IsemCon in France) asked me what separator I wanted ("," or ".") for the calibration file of my Presonus PRM1.
I sent them the text files of the two microphones, IBF EMM8 and UMIK1 that I own by telling them that REW accepted indifferently the two separators.
They asked me if I wanted the phase because some softwares do not accept it.
I opened the two cal files and saw the Emm8 phase.
The Umik file does not have one.
I did not define these files as calibration files. I simply imported the text files as a curve to view them.

I can reproduce the manipulations of this morning if you wish.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
All I need is to see the mic cal files you have, either attached here or emailed. You don't need to reproduce anything, thank you.

Bernard

All I need is to see the mic cal files you have, either attached here or emailed. You don't need to reproduce anything, thank you.
Here are the mic files.

Attachments

• IBF_09030803.txt
    38.3 KB · Views: 48
  • UMIK_7001278.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 33

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks. The sensitivity line in the IBF Acoustic file is the trigger for the problem, if you remove that line (or shorten "sensitivity" to "sens" for example) all will be OK. I'll fix that for the next build.

Bernard

Thanks. The sensitivity line in the IBF Acoustic file is the trigger for the problem, if you remove that line (or shorten "sensitivity" to "sens" for example) all will be OK. I'll fix that for the next build.
Hi John,
You are an amazing guy.
There is a problem in the evening. We go to bed. In the morning, the solution is served at breakfast!
Congratulations and thank you for your dedication and hard work.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
V5.20 beta 21 changes:
  • Bug fix: Mic cal files with "sensitivity" in a line in the file could cause an exception

thxrd

Registered
Hello ,
REW is compatible with Motu card mod Ultralite MK3 ???
Impossible to have a stable connectivity
On time is ok for ten secondes
Others time no signla to input / ouput
Etc ..
I use PC and usb ..
this card ans this PC perfect operate with Arta / Easera / Smart /Room Capture etc etc ..never problem
Only with Rew ..

Thank

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW is compatible with Motu card mod Ultralite MK3 ???
Impossible to have a stable connectivity
If you are using ASIO drivers try increasing the ASIO buffer size in the ASIO driver control panel.

thxrd

Registered
I test increase the buffer .. same probleme
With 5.19 no problem . 5.19 is totally functionnal

5.20 is not functionnal for me ( 64 bit version ..PC is 64 bit )

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Check the log files to see if any errors have been captured. The log files have info from the last 10 startups. Their location is shown in the About REW dialog, usually a folder called REW in your c:\users folder. Can zip that REW log file directory and attach it here.

Please also attach a screenshot of your REW soundcard preferences.

Jiffster

I am unable to get an input signal if my sample rate is set to 48, when calibrating my soundcard. I do when it is set to 44.1.
My interface and all other audio setups are set to 48. Not sure what to do.

Jiffster

Well I finally got an input signal at 48k but the measuring results may not look to good. Not sure how to correct this.

Attachments

• REW Capture 1.jpeg
    REW Capture 1.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 44

Jiffster

When I have my interface monitoring set to mono, I get better results. Not sure if this should be done though.

REW Capture 3.jpeg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The oscillation you were seeing was due to monitoring being active, so some of the input was getting back to the output. Monitoring needs to be off for measuring, nothing the mic picks up can get back to the output.

Jiffster

The oscillation you were seeing was due to monitoring being active, so some of the input was getting back to the output. Monitoring needs to be off for measuring, nothing the mic picks up can get back to the output.

During the "Soundcard Calibration" process, I need to adjust my monitor input level to get the input signal level near -12dB. In doing so, I seem to be creating a feedback loop. I have monitoring engaged and am feeding back into the inputs and I am not sure what to do to correct this and still get the right level.

When I set the interface software mixer to mono, it seems to resolve the issue but I have a feeling this is still not correct.

Top Bottom