Additional Amp
Hypex Ncore400
Other Amp
Rogue M180
Front Speakers
ML Montis
Subwoofers
HSU ULS 15 II
For some time now I've been searching for some relatively easy and accurate way to measure the RIAA deemphasis error of various phono preamps.
Absent an Audio Precision or similar tester there didn't seem to be a good way to do it.
I tried measuring it by hand with a signal generator- possible but very, very, tedious and with accuracy of no better than +/-20mdB for any point.
I tried using a white noise WAV file and a rectangular window FFT, and then comparing against the standard, with marginal results.
However, after a small exchange with John Mulcahy, who was as helpful as always, I was finally able to perform measurements that actually agree with the hand ones, but with much greater resolution and accuracy.
LCHRIAAAVSMOOTH82mdBp-p.JPG

RCHRIAAavesmooth32mDBp-p.JPG

These have p-p RIAA errors of 36mdB and 82mdB, and this would not have been possible to measure without the use of very expensive audio test gear if John hadn't done such a spectacular job with his software.
The process is amazingly simple- just use the measure function with a cal file that corresponds to the desired RIAA characteristic vs. frequency. The software tells you if the signal level is OK.
Once there are sufficient entries in the cal table the measurement can reduce the loops shown above to insignificant levels.
I've attached a suitable cal file.

Attachments

• RIAAplayback.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

JoachimStrobel

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Parasound PSP 1500, NanoAvr HDA
Main Amp
Parasound HCA 1200
Additional Amp
2x Parasound HCA 1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D, Parasound CDP1000 & DAC2000
Front Speakers
Canton RCL
Center Channel Speaker
2x Canton RCL
Surround Speakers
Canton RCL
Video Display Device
BenQ Beamer
I assume this measurements are done without cartridge. Do you see a chance to use some test signal from a LP and Rew’S RTA to check the complete chain?

wynpalmer

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
RME ADI-2 PRO FS
Main Amp
Benchmark AHB2
Additional Amp
Hypex Ncore400
Other Amp
Rogue M180
Front Speakers
ML Montis
Subwoofers
HSU ULS 15 II
I assume this measurements are done without cartridge. Do you see a chance to use some test signal from a LP and Rew’S RTA to check the complete chain?
Using the RTA and the peak hold is a trivial way to do this with a suitable LP.

Top Bottom