Using a certain correction filter in J.River Media Center and in Roon

Urs

Registered
Hello
I am a new Audiolense user and learning/experimenting since a few days. Here comes my first question:
I have passive speakers (2.0 Stereo). I am using a miniDSP UMIK2 microphone. Speaker measurement went well. For filter measurement I used the default (true Time Domain). I experimented with several target curves. I am sure I still have some room for improvement with my target curve, nevertheless I think the current one is not bad. I created appropriate filters: a set of *.cfg and *.wav files for J.River as well as the corresponding *.zip file for using in Roon. This means the convolution filter in J.River and the convolution filter in Roon are based on the same measurement, filter (TTD) and target, but... now comes my issue:
Playing with J.River: activating the convolution filter is a significant improvement compared to not using DRC.
Playing with Roon: activating the convolution filter sounds dull and generally worse compared to not using DRC.

Additional info:
In J.River, when using the convolution filter, I have to increase the volume for ca. 10dB compared to not using DRC.
In Roon, I have to increase the volume for ca. 2-3 dB compared to not using DRC.
(I don't mind to increase the volume, be it 10dB or 2dB)
My observations are valid for all sample rates (44.1, 88.2, 96,...)
I am using the latest Audiolense XO version.

Any help, ideas are very welcome :)

Best regards, Urs

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
You have exactly the same correction for both players there. 10 dB attenuation is quite normal and jriver is the benchmark for how it should work here.

2-3 dB is too little. So Roon is amplifying the signal in a way that it ideally shouldn't. Perhaps there is some sort of spl normalisation that you can turn off.

Urs

Registered
The problem is the *.cfg file syntax:
see this post from @Omid
audiolense-6-14-is-out.8080 post-61163
Just modified my *cfg files accordingly and now it works great also in Roon.

P.S. I am not (yet) allowed to post links

Top Bottom