UR22 Frequency Response

kcs74

Registered
Hi all, just picked up an original Steinberg UR22 and have been testing it with REW. Unfortunately, I have not gotten past the sound card calibration step. The response, as reported by REW, is not in alignment with the specs of the UR22 and has me a little baffled. Has anyone tested a UR22 with REW that can compare these results with their own? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
I am running REW on Mac OS Sierra and tested the UR22 4 different ways with similar but not exact results. I tested with loopbacks setup on Input 1 to Output 1,
Input 2 to Output 2, Input 1 to Headphone Out and Input 2 to Headphone Out. Graphs are below.
Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 11.00.46 AM.png ur22 out1-in1.png ur22 out2-in2.jpg ur22 outphones-in1.jpg

Attachments

• ur22 outphones-in2.jpg
    ur22 outphones-in2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 103

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What sample rate is set for the UR22 in the Mac's Audio Midi Preferences? Ideally should be the same as REW (so 48k in the case above). It rolls off a little quickly in the plots above, but not drastically so - bear in mind the scale is quite exaggerated for soundcard cal.

kcs74

Registered
Hi John, thanks for the reply. yes, the sample rate is set to 48k in both REW and Audio setup. The HF rolloff sees pretty severe to me considering the specs state a frequency response of less than +/- 0.3 dB from 20-20k. In my graph the -3.0 dB point is at 13k which is way off spec. I'm just worried my unit may be faulty since I picked it up used. It does not resemble any FR graph for the UR22 I have seen. Also, just noticed that REW displays "16 bit" next to the 48k sample rate at bottom of graph window. Shouldn't that be 24 bit?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW's java driver runs at 16 bit. I tried my UR22 under OS X 10.12.5. I had to update the driver to 1.9.10 and it was a bit temperamental (had to quit and restart REW after changing sample rate) but it was -3 dB at 24 kHz. Are you running Yamaha Steinberg's latest USB driver?

kcs74

Registered
yes, latest driver installed. Just ran a test with signal scope pro and frequency response as well as input/output levels seem to fluctuate. Does not seem normal to me. The two curves were captured about a minute apart.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 6.23.44 PM.png the green one obviously seems better than the red one. Still not sure whats going on though.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Do you have the Mix knob turned all the way round to DAW? Would have feedback issues if not.

kcs74

Registered
wow, I feel like a complete idiot. Thanks! That resolved the issue.

steve_rolfeca

Registered
Have fun with your UR22. I have a UR44 in my home office/recording studio, and have been very happy with the performance.

Great preamps...

Top Bottom