Understanding Phase Response

Sonder

Supporter
Hello, could anybody point me in the direction of information regarding the phase response, and how do I interpret this, has anyone done a tutorial or does anybody have any documentation on this, I could not find any information in the some guides and acoustic measurement page, or is it the case that I do not really need to interpret this trace, as it is mainly for aligning sub speakers?

Many thanks

EarlK

You'll very likely learn more about phase if you simply get on with trying to align the phase between your different drivers ( iow: learn by doing ).

Read all the current threads that jtalden has participated in ( that'll act as your primer before you do your own system ).

I mean , I could tell you how phase is derived mathematically ( for any captured frequency response > since phase isn't measured directly > it's a derivative of frequency & the change of frequency ) but what does that info really give you ( when you really just want drivers to add together instead of them working against each other ) ???

:)

Sonder

Supporter
Thanks for the information, when you say align the drivers, are you talking about the drivers in a single cabinet, or separate speakers within a room?

EarlK

Thanks for the information, when you say align the drivers, are you talking about the drivers in a single cabinet, or separate speakers within a room?

Phase ( issues ) applies equally to both mentioned scenarios.

Sonder

Supporter
Thanks, so when I am at trying to align drivers where can I overlay the phase response so I can view both on the same graph?

EarlK

Thanks, so when I am at trying to align drivers where can I overlay the phase response so I can view both on the same graph?

I use XSim ( free crossover design software ) when I want to try to align the drivers used within a passive ( crossovered ) speaker box .

If you are talking about aligning individual drivers within a speaker box that's using an active crossover then REW is the best software to accomplish this.

Again, do your home work and study jtalden's posts ( forum contributions for the last year ) on aligning drivers within REW ( he's covered this territory multiple times >> all very thoroughly ).

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
Phase can be helpful is several different situations, but it is not a necessary concern for most common setup efforts. Please tell us a little more about your setup and objective so that we can provide a response that is appropriate in your situation.

The REW alignment tool is helpful for most situations and is discussed here.
The phase overlay chart is also helpful.

Sonder

Supporter
Thanks for the replies, I am coming to this from Smaart software which shows a realtime trace of the phase for sub alignment.

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
I don't use Smaart software, but assuming you are interested in driver to driver XO timing as in; SW to mains or MR to TW. The linked thread above discusses measurement and analysis methods. REW Help provides the description of action of the control buttons themselves.

Sonder

Supporter
Many thanks, yes I am reading a lot of the manual now, and referencing your threads, really insightful.

Top Bottom