UMIK-1 & Clipping

Massimo1971

Registered
Hi

With every measurement with an UMIK-1 I receive a clipping warning. I measure with a notebook trough HDMI and an ASIO4All Driver.
To avoid clipping I have to set the volume under 73db. Or I have to set the microphone level under 7.
I have also reset my AVR (Denon 6300H) but it doesn't help. If I would make measurements with 80db and a microphone level over 7 every Speaker measurement from my 5.2 Setup would warn me because of clipping.

Any idea why?

Many thanks

Massimo

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Seems pretty odd, under Windows 10 a setting of 7 would be 20 dB of attenuation. At the 0 dB setting (52 for Windows 10) the clipping level is around 120 dB. Which version of Windows are you using? Can you post an example mdat file from a measurement?

Massimo1971

Registered
Hi I'm using Win7 the Notebook is 7 years old, I've attached two files.

Many thanks

BR Massimo

Attachments

• Test SUB.mdat
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Test Front & Sub.mdat
    2.6 MB · Views: 5

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Win 7 is quite odd in its volume control handling with the UMIK, 7 is around the unity gain setting so is required. I don't understand your comment about measuring at 73 dB though, some of those measurements have levels of more than 110 dB so it isn't surprising you are seeing clipping. If you are measuring extremely loud responses you are likely to run into clipping! If you need to measure levels above 110 dB with the UMIK you will probably need to reduce the internal gain setting - see this thread for more on that.

Top Bottom