Trouble with REW offline measurement

Line Output 4

Registered
Hi there,

After treating my room, I was able to dramatically improve the response and REW is such a great help. Peaks and nulls are now +/- 6 db in the sub 250 Hz region... instead of +/- 25 db before treatment! Also the waterfall graph looks so much better now.

To bring things further together still, I inserted some cut only EQing in the monitoring section of my DAW and, although of course this does not affect the modal ringing/decay time, it again greatly helped to bring the peaks down and improve clarity in the lower register. At least that's what my ears tell me.

In order to measure what I'm hearing, I exported a sweep file from REW's generator and played + recorded it back in my DAW with the monitoring EQ engaged. The recorded waveform looks and sounds "fine" in my DAW, just like what you would expect. But after importing it in REW it looks totally wrong. I recorded it at -18 dBFS but this barely showed any signal in REW. I normalized the recorded file to -1 dBFS and it looks like in the attachment.

Clearly I am doing something wrong, but I'm unable to figure out what. Maybe some of you guys might help me? I also attached the exported sweep and the recorded impulse, if that's of any help.

Thanks in advance & cheers!

EDIT: The red line shows the room response measured "online" in REW, the green line the offline response recorded.

Attachments

• spl graph 1 unsmoothed.jpg
    spl graph 1 unsmoothed.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 8
  • spl graph 2 varsmoothed.jpg
    spl graph 2 varsmoothed.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 256kMeasSweep_20_to_20000_-18_dBFS_44k_Float_ref.wav
    2.3 MB
  • room measurement 2.wav
    2.3 MB
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's a recording of a sweep, not an impulse, to create an impulse response from it use REW's File - Import - Import sweep recordings option:

1673129859521.png

which gives:

1673129834117.png

Alternatively, and probably easier, use REW's File playback measurement. Looking at the response I suspect you might have gone a bit far with the EQ, mind.

Line Output 4

Registered
@John Mulcahy Many thanks for your reply. Sorry for using the wrong terms, mea culpa. What you show above is excactly what I did. I imported the recording of a sweep:

screenshot-import-sweep.jpg

But what I get looks like this:

spl from imported sweep.jpg

Line Output 4

Registered
V5.20.14 worked!

I was using V5.20.13 before but had to go back to V5.20.9 due to an error with the timing reference of the sweep file.

Your help is much appreciated, thank you @John Mulcahy !

DavidPlatt

For what it may be worth: I also had problems today trying to use V5.20.13 to import offline sweep recordings. The stimulus would import OK. The response showed a reasonable-looking trace when I selected the file, but REW would fail while analyzing it, throwing a Java array-out-of-bounds exception.

I downloaded the V5.20.14 EA19 build, installed it, and it had no trouble importing any of the sweeps I've tried.

In both cases I had used the "Linux, without a bundled JRE" installer.

Top Bottom