Trinnov Says Initial Rollout of WaveForming Technology was a Success, Installation Guidelines Expected Soon

full?d=1685987259.png

(June 5, 2023) Two home theater heavyweights, StormAudio and Trinnov, have locked horns again, this time in the arena of low-frequency reproduction. Storm and its chosen partner, Dirac, were the first to strike with the reveal of Dirac’s Active Room Treatment (ART) at CES 2023. Storm is currently rolling out ART across its platform of processors and is scheduled to enjoy exclusive rights to the technology for at least the next five months.

Just weeks after CES, Trinnov announced a low-end correction technology of its own and revealed plans to demo it at ISE 2023. The now-named “WaveForming” technology was indeed showcased at the Barcelona event, tasked with taming a 5.8.4 Krix speaker system via an Altitude-16 processor outfitted with the +4 channel upgrade. By all accounts, the six-seat, two-row demo room outfitted with a 130” screen was a resounding success.

“If you can impress professionals who calibrate and design home cinemas for a living, then you are on to something,” explained Mick Stillone, Director of Sydney HiFi Mona Vale. “I know I am speaking for everyone who attended the Trinnov Advanced training that what we experienced on our final day was a revelation. Watching movie scenes that we have seen 100s of times left us with shivers and opened mouths. The tactile feel from the subwoofer array transcended our belief and understanding. Frequencies that traveled right through my body created sensations I have never felt. Not just the sheer impact, what we experienced was balanced over multiple rows of listening and subtle frequencies that only enhanced the overall cinematic soundscape. I can’t wait for the opportunity to show our clients what is possible with WaveForming.”

Trinnov says over a dozen showrooms are in the process of being reconfigured to accommodate systems capable of using WaveForming. Divatech and its Mach speaker walls comprised of speaker and subwoofer modules are being readied at that company’s France-based showroom. And Procella Audio’s 15.3.10 immersive showroom in Amsterdam is being remodeled to incorporate its new P18Si 18” in the front and rear walls.

“Immediately after experiencing Trinnov’s demonstration at the ISE show in Barcelona, we made a commitment to integrate this technology into our European demonstration theater outside Amsterdam, explains Anders Uggelberg, founding partner of Procella Audio. “We have enjoyed a long working relationship with Trinnov Audio and eagerly anticipate being able to showcase for our customers and the European market the major improvement of this breakthrough technology in our reference theater environment.”

Trinnov knows how WaveForming is best deployed in an ideal environment but is still designing best practices for real-world installations. Ultimately, a comprehensive approach will allow the technology to impact a room without requiring a physical change to the room or subwoofer/speaker layout and placement. We expect more on that later this summer.

To learn more about WaveForming and Trinnov's entire fleet of immersive processors, visit www.trinnov.com

Related Reading

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I believe @SRW1000 asked the right question about WaveForming in this post

Post in thread 'Trinnov Says Latest Acoustic Technology is "a Major Milestone in Our Development," Will Debut at ISE 2023'
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/t...pment-will-debut-at-ise-2023.11613/post-87780

Does it loosen up the restrictions of the Double Bass Array?

Assuming the answer is “not by much”, would Dirac ART and WaveForming be competing for the same customers?

It strikes me that although the processors are not too far off in cost, the room itself to accommodate a WaveForming setup will be a far larger cost, while ART will (potentially?) provide bass, which is free of room effects (distortion), in any room.

Am I thinking straight here?

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
we just had the trinnov altitude and amplitude 16 installed and calibrated over the holiday weekend while we were out of town. i'm sure if they also installed the equivalent storm audio system next to it, this old retired disabled vet could never tell the difference, blind-switching one to the other. :laugh:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I believe @SRW1000 asked the right question about WaveForming in this post

Post in thread 'Trinnov Says Latest Acoustic Technology is "a Major Milestone in Our Development," Will Debut at ISE 2023'
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/t...pment-will-debut-at-ise-2023.11613/post-87780

Does it loosen up the restrictions of the Double Bass Array?

Assuming the answer is “not by much”, would Dirac ART and WaveForming be competing for the same customers?

It strikes me that although the processors are not too far off in cost, the room itself to accommodate a WaveForming setup will be a far larger cost, while ART will (potentially?) provide bass, which is free of room effects (distortion), in any room.

Am I thinking straight here?
Great question. As far as I can tell, room requirements are more restrictive for Trinnov’s approach. How much so is still in question. If you read between the lines, application requirements and installation road maps are still in development for less than the ideal setup.

I’m super curious to see what ultimately comes of this

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
we just had the trinnov altitude and amplitude 16 installed and calibrated over the holiday weekend while we were out of town. i'm sure if they also installed the equivalent storm audio system next to it, this old retired disabled vet could never tell the difference, blind-switching one to the other. :laugh:
Congrats! That’s quite the system you have there! Enjoying it more than the old setup?

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
Congrats! That’s quite the system you have there! Enjoying it more than the old setup?
Cheers! It is substantially better in every way. I must admit, we were not expecting such a drastic difference. I'm sure it will all sound even better in the new black box cinema once our annex in the backyard is built. (Currently on hold until interest rates are more reasonable) These two Trinnov components replaced a Denon 8500HA which was an absolutely wonderful-sounding unit. We have not had separates in the HT since around when Blu-rays came out 06-07.. I had different Arcam separates in the HT for over a decade. I only stopped because they were so slow keeping up with HDMI specs back then..

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
That’s great. I also had X8500H before moving up to a Storm processor for personal use. Can be hard to put into words, but Storm’s canvas is just cleaner. Same goes for Trinnov.

And totally agree. The Denon X8500H is a fabulous piece of gear that delivers big time!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
This is the future for all processors... room treatment without the acoustic panels. It's going to be an interesting next few years. I wonder what Audyssey and ARC will do.

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
That’s great. I also had X8500H before moving up to a Storm processor for personal use. Can be hard to put into words, but Storm’s canvas is just cleaner. Same goes for Trinnov.

And totally agree. The Denon X8500H is a fabulous piece of gear that delivers big time!
Crazy that you had the 8500 as well! We would still have the old girl now if it weren't for a few things.

Our 8500 actually clipped a number of months back whilst watching Interstellar via K during a get-together. Our HT is all Martin Logan, SVS subs, (7.2.4) (with our old and particularly power-hungry Prodigy & Logos upfront), My wife was very concerned about that clipping situation. Rob H. from AVRant recommended separates ages ago, and our dealer did as well. The Trinnov 16 demo equipment then just magically started popping up everywhere for us and it was less all $ than the Lyngdorf new, and will save us a lot of rack space in the new future HT. Somewhere in that chain of events, I'm sure we credited DJ for something, but I just don't recall at the moment. :laugh::popcorn: Nonetheless, the 8500 has a great new home in a local college student's setup. Cheers.

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
This is the future for all processors... room treatment without the acoustic panels. It's going to be an interesting next few years. I wonder what Audyssey and ARC will do.
Yes. My wife and I have never been a fan of acoustic panels that don't completely disappear into the space's background. It has been a fascinating journey the past two years seeing and feeling all the material options that are very stealthy in a space. We are looking forward to seeing more of it while we are in Italy this summer.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Crazy that you had the 8500 as well! We would still have the old girl now if it weren't for a few things.

Our 8500 actually clipped a number of months back whilst watching Interstellar via K during a get-together. Our HT is all Martin Logan, SVS subs, (7.2.4) (with our old and particularly power-hungry Prodigy & Logos upfront), My wife was very concerned about that clipping situation. Rob H. from AVRant recommended separates ages ago, and our dealer did as well. The Trinnov 16 demo equipment then just magically started popping up everywhere for us and it was less all $ than the Lyngdorf new, and will save us a lot of rack space in the new future HT. Somewhere in that chain of events, I'm sure we credited DJ for something, but I just don't recall at the moment. :laugh::popcorn: Nonetheless, the 8500 has a great new home in a local college student's setup. Cheers.
Ironic that you mention this... all ML here as well. Prodigys are among those that have been in this room. I don't rightly recall which ML speakers it was, but it was one of the few times I was able to stress the Denon 350x (can't remember the model) when playing music at louder volumes. Separate amps solved the issue.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment

We certainly seem to be getting closer to that. I'm not sure we'll ever get 100% away from physical treatments, but these new technologies are the icing and cherry on top!

austinblackboxspace

Supporter
Bright Side Crew
Ironic that you mention this... all ML here as well. Prodigys are among those that have been in this room. I don't rightly recall which ML speakers it was, but it was one of the few times I was able to stress the Denon 350x (can't remember the model) when playing music at louder volumes. Separate amps solved the issue.
Magic. I should have stayed with separates 15 or so years ago...:laugh: Yes, I've been a devoted ML user in all of my HTs since around 1991. I think I have had maybe two dozen different models since then. One day around the mid-90s, walking out of the UT Austin Natatorium and having a conversation with two friends about ML center speakers, a female swimmer coming out at the same time told us "Hey, during undergrad, I was working in the Martin Logan factory and built your Logos!" What on earth are the chances of that? A crazy cool encounter! o_O

Anywho, the ML market is so large here in Austin, about 80% of my past purchases have all been secondhand and or demo. Having said that, my wife and I are eager to utilize a completely different brand and style in our new HT. We are ready for something completely different. So far, it is all Focal in-walls all hidden behind velvet floor-to-ceiling acoustic paneling. Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom