THX's CEO and Global Head of Mobile Technology Talk Spatial Audio on AV NIRVANA Live, June 6 at 4pm ET

(June 5, 2023) Tomorrow, June 6 at 4pm ET / 1pm PT, THX's CEO, Jason Fiber, and the company's Global Head of Mobile Technology, David Dever, join AV NIRVANA Live to talk shop about THX's Spatial Audio technology.

THX Spatial Audio Razer adds a layer of processing music, gaming, and video content that enables a simulated surround sound experience. We'll explore the technologies behind Spatial Audio and how it's currently being used.

The stream can be watched, live, on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. If you have a question or would like to join the chat, please join us on our YouTube channel!

SRW1000

I'll be working tomorrow, so can't join the chat, but I'm curious as to how much of the spacial audio that's available today is the product of a human remixing original tracks versus programs taking existing mixes and enhancing them, and if there's any way for consumers to know when they're listening to something.

How does what THX is doing compare to what AuroMatic, DTS Neural: X, and Dolby's upmixer do. Along with that, how do the benefits compare between those listening with headphones to those with full-blown theater rooms, and everything in between?

I'm also curious to know how AI will be having a role in how perceptual coding and immersive content will be handled.

Looking forward to watching the recording.

Scott

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Hey Scott! Thanks for the questions. We'll miss having you in the chat... tho, work comes first! ;-)

SRW1000

Thanks for asking my AI question, Todd. They actually mentioned some AI uses that hadn't even occurred to me.

I don't think any of us understand just how revolutionary AI will be as people think of more uses for it. I'd say it will be comparable to the industrial revolution or the dawn of the information age.

For my other questions, I had made the (faulty) assumption that their tools would be more on the creative/production side of things, and not mostly on the playback side. Although when they were talking about embedding spacial information along with standard stereo tracks, it sounded like an interesting solution.

With the ever-increasing availability of content labeled as spatial audio, I'd still be interested to know how much of that is designed on a title basis and how much is just sent through some kind of encoding process.

Scott

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Glad you were able to catch up…

Correct on the creation front, but as they eluded, that has the possibility of changing at some point in the future.

I know you were also asking to get a sense of a direct comparison of how THX differs or improves upon similar technologies from Dolby and DTS, but a pre-show request was made to side step that specific comparison for the stream.

Top Bottom