full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1503982623.jpg

Movie: :4.5stars:
Video: :5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :4stars:
Final Score: :4.5stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1503987508.jpg
Movie

Hakuna Matata!!! Yes, it’s that time of year again. The time when Disney releases another one of their classic films that has been vaulted out into the wild. Most of the vaulted films tend to be Disney’s biggest and best, but The Lion King is probably one of THE best films they have ever released over their 70+ years in existence. I have fond memories of ALL the great Disney classics, but the three that really are top of the heap for me happen to be Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast, and The Lion King. The Lion King was much like Beauty & the Beast in that it surpassed being “just another kids movie”. It was an adult’s tale of Hamlet put to cartoon, a cute kids film with wonderful music, an award winning live action musical on Broadway, and has some of the most revered music in cinematic history. Not to mention a really good 3D disc from the 2011 Diamond Edition! This signature edition once more re-releases one of the best Disney classics on home video, and once again whether you purchase this set will depend on if you own the previous edition or not at all.

I jokingly say that The Lion King is an animated version of Hamlet, but in reality it blends several differing classics together to make something unique. There are elements of classic Bambi, Biblical stories of Joseph, and even a little bit of Hamlet in as well (ok, heavy elements of Hamlet). It follows the story of a new king coming to the Saharan desert. Mufasa (James Earl Jones) the Lion king has just sired a young child named Simba (Matthew Broderick) and announces his pride to the world. His heir, his son, is going to grow up become the next leader of the wildlife. The only thing is that his weaker, but much craftier, brother Scar (Jeremy Irons) has much darker plans and secretly wants the throne for himself. So the only thing to do is slaughter Mufasa and blame the young boy for his death.

However, Scar made one fatal mistake. He should have killed the child as well, and young Simba is free to wander into the surrounding jungle where he is taken care of by a meerkat named Timone (Jonathan Lane), and a farting warthog named Pumba (Ernie Sabella). A carefree pair of miscreants who live life a little bit less seriously than the lion pride does. Or, well, anyone else either. Years later the young cub is now a young lion, and it is time to return to his pride and reclaim what his uncle Scar took from him so many years ago.
full?lightbox=1&update=1503987508.jpg
The Lion King just hits all the right notes. On the surface it’s a kids movie with hints of Hamlet thrown in, but as you dig deeper The Lion King proves that it really does have the staying power to be a bonafide classic. Mufasa’s death is still as gripping to me today as it was 23 years ago (wow, has it been that long?), and the adorable antics of Timone and Pumba still have me giggling along with my nephews, who are now the same age I saw it as a child. The songs are wonderful, the score by Hans Zimmer is absolutely mesmerizing, and the artwork is out of this world. It’s very rare that a children’s movie can appeal to adults and children EQUALLY, but The Lion King is one of those movies. There are plenty of stupid fart jokes, and the catchy tunes are aimed at children, but the heavier stuff skates the line between adult and children’s material with a delicate balance that doesn’t lose much to either side.

I will say, the movie DOES have a few flaws that haven’t worn as well as I would have liked. I thought of the film as a perfect movie back when I was 12 and seeing it in theaters, but I have to look back and watch the film as an adult, and that means looking at it a bit more critically than I once did. The second act with Timon and Pumba raising Simba to be one of their own is filled with lots of great songs, but it DOES drag a bit compared to the fantastic 3rd act, and stunning opening act. The jokes are a bit on the kiddy side, and the “Hakuna Matatamantra that the two inundate him with gets worn thing. However, that’s not a wild problem, and only acts as a minor flaw in an otherwise incredible film.

Rating:

Rated G for General Audiences

Video: :5stars:
Like most of the Disney Signature editions, The Lion King will be using the exact same transfer as the 2011 Diamond edition, with one small caveat. That little caveat happens to be the fact that Disney went back and restored the missing clouds that fans caught on the last few home video releases. Still, it looks almost IDENTICAL to the previous edition, that is in no way a bad thing as the Diamond Edition of The Lion King was, and still is, a stunning Blu-ray disc. Colors are bright and warmly saturated throughout the Saharan landscape, with lots of earthy oranges and browns for the Lion’s homes, while the jungle home of Timone and Pumba is full of greens and blues and other assorted jungle colors with equal aplomb. Line work for the characters is picture perfect, and the disc is free from any digital anomalies. Everything is just EXQUISITELY detailed, from Simba and Nala walking in the jungle, to the soft and fluffy clouds floating in the sky. Puffs of dust kick up under Simba’s feet, and the rivulets of water when he laps from a gentle pool creates individual ripples that waver and move in distinctly different ways. Black levels show no fault, and really I can’t see fault in the picture at ALL.

Audio: :5stars:
Much like the video encode, the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track is a mirror image of the Diamond Edition’s stunning audio mix. 7.1 tracks were all the rage back in 2011 (being that Atmos and DTS:X didn’t really exist 6 years ago), and that 7.1 mix is in NO way faulty in any way, shape, or form. The rumbling track is one of the few audio mixes that leaves you in awe every time you listen to it. The rumbling voice of Mufasa, his thunderous roar, or the incredibly immersive sound track that gained so much acclaim for it’s unique musical numbers, all just fill the sound stage with pure magic. LFE is deep and guttural, adding weight and power to Mufasa’s roar, or the slamming of rocks as Scar meets his fate. Surrounds are in constant use with the musical numbers, as well as the jungle wildlife, and the vocals are absolutely impeccable. Once more, a perfect track.

Extras: :4stars:
• Brand New Sing-Along Version
• Audio Commentary – View the film with commentary by producer Don Hahn and co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
• Visualizing a Villain – Against a backdrop of live dancers and the animated "Be Prepared" sequence, artist David Garibaldi paints a masterpiece of evil.
• The Recording Sessions – Watch rare footage of the actors recording their roles, matched with the final animation. Intro by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff.
• Nathan and Matthew: The Extended Lion King Conversation – Nathan Lane (Timon) and Matthew Broderick (Adult Simba) offer candid and hilarious insights into their Lion King experiences.
• Inside the Story Room – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff present archival footage of five original story pitches.
- Circle of Life – See how color creates emotion and meaning in the film's iconic opening.
- Simba & Nala – See how elements proposed in story meetings evolve into what appears onscreen.
- Simba Takes Nala Out to Play – …And, sometimes what seems funny in story meetings never makes it into the film!
- Hakuna Matata – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff sing, act and dance their hearts out as they pitch the "Hakuna Matata" sequence.
- Rafiki and Reflecting Pool – Co-directors Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff pitch a sequence that became the emotional heart of The Lion King to Producer Don Hahn.
• Music & More – Sing along to your favorite songs from the movie!
- "Circle of Life"
- "I Just Can't Wait to Be King"
- "Be Prepared"
- "Hakuna Matata"
- "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"
• Galleries
- Visual Development – Explore a gallery of striking artwork that inspired the movie's look and feel.
- Character Design – Trace the development of the film's unforgettable characters through early concept art drawings.
- Storyboards – Examine storyboards created in the development of "The Lion King."
- Layouts – Feast your eyes on layouts created in the development of "The Lion King."
- Backgrounds & Layouts – Journey through a gallery of landscape paintings that shaped the world of "The Lion King."
• Classic Bonus Features (Digital Only) – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as bloopers, audio commentary, deleted and alternate scenes, and in-depth journeys into the music, film, story, animals and stage show.

Final Score: :4.5stars:

With all of these Disney Signature releases, there is some give and take here. The Lion King (and it’s sequels) have been in the Disney vault for some time now, so this is the first time that the movies have been released to the general public, but this time it doesn’t come with the 3D disc for those who really wanted that particular edition. The extras have a few new ones, but they also eliminated some of the old ones and put them as digital links only. So like I said, a little bit of give and take. The encodes are fantastic looking (as was the original release), and the fixing of the missing digital clouds has finally been restored, so if you never picked up the 2011 release, then YES, this is a must buy. If you had the original 2011 discs, then I would be hard pressed to recommend a double dip.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Mathew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones
Directed by: Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff
Written by: Irene Mecchi, Jonothan Roberts
Aspect Ratio: 1.78.1 AVC
Audio: English DTS-HD MA 7.1, French, Spanish DD 5.1
Studio: Disney/Buena Vista
Rated: G
Runtime: 88 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: August 29th, 2017

Recommendation: Must Own

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I loved this movie. In fact, we also saw the musical. Highly recommended. :)

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thank you for the review. I own the Diamond Edition and love it. For now I will pass on this edition.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Disney has released a few 4K titles. I'm surprised they haven't started attacking that market more aggressively. This title is perfect for that move!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Disney has released a few 4K titles. I'm surprised they haven't started attacking that market more aggressively. This title is perfect for that move!

Their first and only one was actually Guardian's of the Galaxy 2... which is actually a choice made by MARVEL themselves... Disney proper hasn't released a single 4K title yet.

Last edited:

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
I only watched this movie for the first time two years ago when they released the blue ray. I am a bit behind LOL

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
If you ever get a chance to see the musical.. check it out. Highly recommended!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
You're right, Mike. I thought they had popped a few off right before announcing GOTG V2.

Well... IT'S ABOUT TIME! :T

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
yeah, they're always slow to adopt new products. they were almost 4 years into DVD before they released stuff.

S2000 Nirvana

More  
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Additional Amp
Monster Power AVS 2000
4k-Blu Ray: Samsung UBD‑K8500 - PS3 -
Front Speakers
Definitive technology BP 10
Center Channel Speaker
CLR 2000
Surround Speakers
Definitive technology UIW BP/A in ceiling rears
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive technology BPX
Subwoofers
Captivator 118HT
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -
Just something worth noting...Wall-E is a great animated movie for surround Sounds! ...'9' is also good movie for surround says my Cap 118HT..

Top Bottom