full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1500929530.png

Movie: :4.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1505651156.jpg
Movie

Have you ever been completely blindsided by a film? You know, completely taken by surprise as the trailer or premise seemed OK, but you never really expected it to be that good. However, when you actually sat down and watched the film you left with this gigantic emotional high that actually flabbergasted you. This was how The Big Sick was to me. I’ve seen Kumail Nanjiani in a few shows and movies over the years (Silicon Valley being my favorite show of his), but was never WILDLY impressed. Again, it’s not like I didn’t like him as a comedian, it’s just that I was never blown away with his characters. So I saw the trailer for The Big Sick and just passed on over it thinking “oh yeah, I’ll take a peak at it when the film hits home video”. I got wind of some very positive reviews from the assortment of film festivals that it hit, but I tend to take those with a grain of salt as film festivals CAN be a bit strange with their compliments. So when I sat down and watched my first viewing of the film I was absolutely blown away. The movie just flowed so organically and fluidly that I was laughing one second, crying the next, and then wiping away happy tears a few minutes later. The movie is based around Kumail Nanjiani’s real life romance with now wife, Emily V. Gordon (who actually co-wrote and produced the film with Kumail), and their rather rough and bumpy ride to happiness. According to my sources there has been some literary licenses taken with incidents and a few things here and there, but overall it’s a rather wry and cute take on a horrible tragedy in their love life that sparked years of devotion.

Much like how many of us live our lives, Kumail (played BY Kumail) is struggling to make his dreams come true. He’s a young Pakistani male living in Chicago, making the bills by working as an uber driver, even though he’s trying to make his life’s ambitions come true as a stand-up comedian. The comedian gigs is going OOOOOOOOOOK, but his life takes a turn for the better when he’s heckled by adorable audience member Emily (Zoe Kazan). Immediately attracted to her, Kumail and her flirt a bit before starting up a slightly reluctant dating relationship as Emily is not exactly LOOKING for a boyfriend. Soon the two are madly in love and spending every moment together. That is until Emily finds out that Kumail’s traditional Pakistani family don’t know anything about her and that they will disown him if Kumail tries to marry a non Pakistani girl.

Right after the breakup, Kumail gets a terrifying call. Emily has fallen gravely ill to a mysterious infection and he needs to see her ASAP. What starts out as a night at the hospital turns into days, and even more days, as the doctors put her into a medically induced coma. To make matters KIND OF worse, Emily’s parents Terry (Ray Romano) and Beth (Holly Hunter) come to stay with their daughter, and they know ALL about the rough breakup. So naturally things are just tense stacked up on a pile of even MORE tenseness. With Emily under a shaky diagnosis, all the walls come crumbling down for both Kumail and Emily’s parents, which creates a unique opportunity for the opposing sides to come together and figure out what’s most important in their lives, and what fat needs to be trimmed for their lives to get back on course.
full?lightbox=1&update=1505651156.jpg
The Big Sick was something I truly didn’t see coming. The movie just sucker punches you with a near flawless story that can only be described as raw and organic. I know I’ve used that term before, but it REALLY applies here. You can tell the obvious reality and love that went into the script from Kumail and the real life Emily as the story flows so incredibly naturally and with obvious care. There’s a few missteps from Kumail’s comedian friends (there is a few wince worthy scenes with his roommate Chris, played by Kurt Braunohler), but besides those few flaws, the story is mesmerizing from beginning to end. The end is already known because Emily is alive and well in reality, but the movie is really about the journey rather than the destination (yeah, I know, that’s cliched, but it really is the truth here). Watching Kumail and Emily’s parents start to analyze their own life is both humorous and saddening at the same time, with Kumail (real life Kumail, not just the character) deftly weaving in some bittersweet comedy as he navigates the maze that is his own complicated family life, as well as coming to terms with Emily’s slightly messed up parents.

Kumail and Zoe just really sparkle with the minimal chemistry ridden moments they have together (most of the movie is spend with her in said medically induced coma), but Kumail, Holy Hunter and Ray Romano are simply fantastic together as the slightly weird “odd couple”, so to speak. Their whole relationship is so ridiculously believable and reality based that it just works seamlessly within the story. Nothing seems forced, nothing seems out of place (besides some comedy mishaps with friends), and Kumail’s bittersweet relationship with a pair of struggling Pakistani parents living in America is both chuckle worthy as well as heart breaking.

Rating:

Rated R for language including some sexual references

Video: :4stars:
While I couldn’t garner any information to the shooting style of the film, I will say that I would lean towards it being a digital production due to the budget involved and the distinct lack of film grain to my eyes. The 1.85:1 AVC encoded Blu-ray looks about on par with most rom coms of recent history, with a fairly neutral looking color grading and excellent details. The movie flits between dimly lit comedy club back rooms and the fake lighting of a hospital emergency room, which can show of crisp details inside the hospital, and a bit more of a problem in the darkly saturated comedy club sequences. Fine details on faces and clothing are well done, but the black levels tend to look a bit grayed out, which robs some of the detail from being super sharp. It’s a solid looking transfer for sure, but just not one that really stands out as anything EXTREMELY special, which is not a bad thing. Everything is done quite competently for your standard comedic film.

Audio: :4stars:
The 5.1 DTS-HD MA track is pretty much what you would expect for a film of this genre. It’s extremely forward heavy and dialog dependent, but does have some minor use of the surrounds to keep it from being a 3.1 only track. Dialog is well placed and balanced evenly with the standard surrounding environmental sounds that a comedic film like this employs, and the dynamic range is mild, but fairly impressive when needed. The comedy club can show off the best and the worst of the track, with the audience laughter coming from the surrounds, but I also noticed a mild hiss from the microphone that Kumail was using, which was slightly irritating to an OCD audiophile like myself. LFE comes with a few musical numbers, and accompanies a few door slams, but other than that, it’s a fairly standard comedy track.

Extras: :3stars:
• "A Personal Journey: The Making of The Big Sick" Featurette
• "The Real Story" Featurette
• 2017 SXSW Film Festival Panel
• Cast & Filmmaker Commentary with Actor-Writer Kumail Nanjiani, Writer Emily V. Gordon, Producer Barry Mendel and Director Michael Showalter
• The Big Sick: The Other Stuff
• Deleted Scenes
• The Bigger Sick: Stick Around for More Laughs

Final Score: :4stars:

Honestly, The Big Sick is one of the best non blockbuster movies of the year so far. I laughed, I cried (stupid onions, someone was cutting them I swear) and I had warm fuzzies by the end of the movie and I never ONCE thought “wow, this is contrived”. The movie looks and sounds great on Blu-ray, and I have to say that it’s a film that I whole heartedly recommend (as long as you don’t mind a little bit of R-rated language) for those of you who like a great romantic comedy that does NOT fall into the cliches of every other rom com out there. Highly recommended.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano
Directed by: Michael Showalter
Written by: Emily V. Gordon, Kumail Nanjiani
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 AVC
Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1, Spanish DD 5.1
Studio: Lionsgate
Rated: R
Runtime: 119 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: September 5th, 2017

Recommendation: Great Watch

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Fantastic review, Mike. You convinced me: ORDERED!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
let us know your opinions. I'm honestly curious what you guys think of it

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Definitely. Comedy is my first choice - your tweet about it caught my eye. Says shipping is Tuesday!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
sweet. Just warning you that this isn't ROFL in the aisles comedy. It's a weird mixture of Rom-com with dramedy. It will make you laugh, cry, and get those warm cuddly fuzzies at the same time... honestly, the best rom-com I've seen in YEARS.. and I'm a cynical old man when it comes to Rom com's as they've been beaten into the ground

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I also thought this was not any good when I saw the trailers long time ago.. I will check this movie once available due to your convincing review. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I'm good with that, Mike!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
The movie is on Amazon prime for those interested. I just finished watching it. Excellent movie. Worth watching that is for sure.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Wife and I had fun with this one. Thank you for the review.

Top Bottom