full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1496389401.jpg

Movie: :1.5stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :1star:
Final Score: :3stars:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1496393549.jpg
Movie

It’s a strange thing to get older. I’m watching legendary actors go straight to DVD, and legendary directors putting out movies on Netflix only (think Scorsese), and the strange phenomenon of having Walter Hill (director of such hits as The Warriors, 48 Hours, The Driver, and Hard Times) being relegated to making DTV schlock like The Assignment. I’ll fully admit that his work in the 2000’s hasn’t been the greatest, but I truly wince when a legendary director like Walter is forced to come up with complete and utter garbage like the 95 minutes that just passed before my eyes. The Assignment is one giant mess of an action film, with a pseudo intellectual plot that borders on SJW whining at times with its “you are who you feel like” message coursing through it. There was some potential with the odd “fish out of water” scenario where a hitman has plastic surgery to make himself the opposite sex, but the end result is a mishmash of nonsense that had me wishing for a few more beers in the fridge while watching.

Frank Kitchen (played by Michelle Rodriguez with an unconvincing beard and some voice modulation to make her voice more masculine) has been hired to do one more job. However, the brutal hitman ends up double crossed and after getting knocked out wakes up to find out that HE is now a SHE, after having underwent some impressive Face/Off level of plastic surgery (although on a much more intense level). All he’s been left is some hormones to keep his “femininity” façade up, and a message that this was all an elaborate revenge plot by Dr. Rachel Jane (Sigourney Weaver) for Frank’s murder of her no good brother a while back. Now Frank has two motives on his mind. Take revenge on the people who did this to him, and see if there’s any way to revert back to his life as a male.

Simultaneously we also are watching in the mental evaluation of Dr. Jane by prison psychiatrist Ralph Galen (Tony Shalhoub), as it seems she is in that wonderful world of padded rooms and strait jackets. It seems that Ralph is trying to find out why Dr. Jane had murdered her entire staff some time ago, and a dangerous game of cat and mouse begins as Dr. Jane teases and manipulates the prison psychologist for some unknown end. An end that becomes decidedly clear when you realize that while both the story of Dr. Jane and the story of Frank are heavily related, there is a skewed sense of time that makes sense of the connection once that understanding is realized.
full?lightbox=1&update=1496393549.png
The Assignment has an interesting premise, but sadly is just a jumble of scenes from a once legendary director and slapped on screen. In typical Walter Hill fashion, we have some great cinematography and sharp use of cut scenes, but past that this is pure DTV junk. The entire film had me laughing myself into my arm chair as it becomes REALLY obvious what the initial twist will be. Michelle Rodriguez and some CGI do very little to make you believe that Frank was ever a guy to begin with. It’s poor workmanship and it only becomes believable after he/she becomes the female half. Then there’s the constant proletizing by Weaver, who sleep walks her way through the entire film as she spouts platitudes and jargon about “you are what you feel like” in an attempt to blend in with the culture of today that is struggling with the idea of Transgender mentality and the controversy over nonbinary psychology. It gets REALLY cloying after a while and the low budget action movie is not helped by the monologues.

Rodriguez does what she can with the role, but this is nothing more than bottom of the barrel action stuff, and nobody looks like they’re having much fun. Tony Shalhoub is about the only one with a personality in the movie, and the rest of the time we just have Frank running around shooting everyone in his/her way until he can get to Dr. Jane (who is so bored with the film that you can tell she was just waiting for Walter Hill to yell “CUT!” so she could go back to her dressing room). I want to say that there are some redeeming parts of the film, as I look for the good in every movie, but I honestly can’t see any. The unique flair and skill that Hill employs with his cinematography is the only thing that keeps the movie even semi professional, otherwise this would be a definite 1 star or les rating from me.

Rating:

Rated R for graphic nudity, violence, sexuality, language and drug use

Video: :4stars:
If you’ve watched a lot of Lionsgate films then you know that they have a certain look to many of them. The encodes have some issues with banding and dark shots, but other than that they’re all very technically solid. The same applies here as The Assignment is given a very impressive looking digital shoot that doesn’t stand out, but does look technically well done. The film does have those issues with banding in the darker sequences, but colors are well saturated and the skin tones of Michelle and the rest of the cast look appropriate to the dim lit settings. Fine detail is really nice (sometimes a little TOO nice as you can see the fakeness of Frank’s beard when he’s a HE) and the dim lighting doesn’t take away too much of the shadow detail at all. Intimate items like clothing looks very texturally sound and you can even see individual fibers on jeans and jackets.

Audio: :4stars:
full?lightbox=1&update=1496393549.jpg
The singular 5.1 DTS-HD MA track on board is more than capable, but not nearly as robust as I was expecting. Hill employs quite a bit of dialog punctuated with short bursts of extreme violence and action, then settles back down to a simmer once again. The vocals are crisp and clear, with no imbalances or wild swings in dynamic range, only to gain some real power and authority when the bullets start flying. Bass is restrained, but quite visceral during those brief moments of action, adding heavy weight to the 45 caliber 1911’s Frank likes to use (and makes constant mention of the .45’s power a bit TOO often). It’s a good track, but limited by the DTV budget a bit.

Extras: :1star:
• "Filmmaking Portraits" Photo Montage

Final Score: :3stars:

Yeah, not much more you can say about The Assignment then it’s a sad day to see such talent (both in the acting role and directing roles) push out stuff like this. I was actually really excited just from the name Walter Hill alone, but I can’t help but feel a little cheated by the action/thriller. There’s definitely some thought provoking material under the surface, but the execution and pasting together of all the little pieces just leaves quite a bit to be desired. Acting is mediocre, the film is very disjointed, and Hill seems genuinely frustrated trying to put all the puzzle pieces into the right spots. Audio and video are impressive for a DTV flick, but the film and anemic extras leave me recommending that you just skip it completely unless you’re completely bored and this is the only film Netflix has on your queue to watch.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Michelle Rodriguez, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub
Directed by: Walter Hill
Written by: Denis Hamill, Walter Hill
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1
Studio: Lionsgate
Rated: R
Runtime: 95 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: June 6th, 2017

Recommendation: Skip It

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Ummm... okay. Pass!

Jon Liu

More  
Marantz AV8801
Main Amp
D-Sonic M2500
Additional Amp
Ferrum Audio OOR
Other Amp
Ferrum Audio HYPSOS
DAC
Ferrum Audio ERCO
Oppo Digital UDP-203 / Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
GR Research Rosewood LS9
Center Channel Speaker
GR Research X-Voce
Surround Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Surround Back Speakers
GR Research AV1-R/S
Front Height Speakers
Hifiman Susvara Headphones
Panamax M5500-EX
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C6P Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Screen
LG OLED65G1
Remote Control
Harmony Elite
Streaming Equipment
27" iMac
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal, Apple Music
It really is sad to see the likes of Sigourney Weaver go straight-to-video. I've also got to say, I am really starting to not like Michelle Rodriguez as an actress. She's type-cast, which is fine, but she alters her various roles so very little...

This'll be a hard pass I guess...

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
not a hard choice :greengrin:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Triple pass... and isn't Sig like 90 years old by now? What... on her 3rd or 4th facelift maybe?

Never have been a fan of Rodriguez either.... just doesn't do anything for me. This movie will bomb... except for some dirty ole men who want to see a little booty... shame shame!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Triple pass... and isn't Sig like 90 years old by now? What... on her 3rd or 4th facelift maybe?

Never have been a fan of Rodriguez either.... just doesn't do anything for me. This movie will bomb... except for some dirty ole men who want to see a little booty... shame shame!

Oh, man. Sonnie. You crack me up.

:rofl:

Top Bottom