Testing Testing 1,2,3... - Is this thing on??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AnalogBeforeDigital, Feb 11, 2019.

1. AnalogBeforeDigital

Hello All,

so I just wanted to start off on the right foot... and other than the mic check was curious about posting norms regarding
    1. advice on a speaker build (driver measurement and how cabinets affect impedance and as a result crossovers)
    2. moving this from a hobby to a career
    3. got vinyl -help with rebuilding analog setup

thanks and looking forward to discussions here - hopefully i can make sure it's not a one way street..

2. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes Staff Writer
    Staff Member

As for a career, you can ask questions. We just prefer people don’t use this for free advertising. If you are selling something, be careful how you promote it here. I would even make your affiliation clear. We have lots of industry insiders here and love their participation.

Welcome to the forums.

4. Grayson Dere

Grayson Dere Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, AnalogBeforeDigital!

I, too, have also wondered how individuals move from hobbyist to professional in the audio industry. I guess it really depends on where you want to end up...editorial, fabrication, DSP engineer...etc...

5. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

Just don’t go into manufacturing speakers. Seems to be a sure fire way to be poor and miserable.

6. Grayson Dere

Grayson Dere Moderator
    Staff Member

I have an uncle that used to be in this line of work at a VERY respectable speaker company in the Bay Area. He literally wound voice coils for 8-hours a day... and wasn't allowed to do anything else. Now he's in the testing dept. which he enjoys much more : )

7. AnalogBeforeDigital

ha - love hearing a moderator chime in on this - thanks...

I have finally come to a point where I have realized everything I enjoy deals with audio in some way - yet it's not the focus of anything as a career.

I think i finally got to the point of saying I need to start doing what makes you happy - my hope is i get to the point that I can have a meaningful impact while doing what I enjoy - and that's simply anything audio

Thanks Matt - now crossing off all things making me poor and miserable...

:)

Grayson Dere likes this.
  8. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
    Staff Member

This hobby keeps us all poor :spend:

9. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

This is true. Sadly so true.

I just did my taxes and put all but $200 of what I made in my acoustics business back into the business in necessary expenses. That won’t be true every year, but the truth is I didn’t spend that much, I just also didn’t make that much.

10. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

Writing and acoustics isn’t my day job. Do what makes you happy. That’s important. If you can find a way to make a comfortable living in audio, you absolutely should.

I find lots of things bring me joy. I love audio and this recent opportunity to write and contribute to the industry has been great. My acoustics business went from one tiny job a year to a couple with an occasional big job. It’s quickly stretched my bandwidth to do this and I’m fine with that. I don’t do any of this for the money. What I know is that my family needs a certain amount of money to survive the way we live now and I can’t make that much and get all the benefits I have if I gave up my day job and focused solely on this field. Which doesn’t mean other people don’t or haven’t found a way to make good money doing this. I’m also not interested in manufacturing products.

Grayson Dere likes this.
  11. AnalogBeforeDigital

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback, and look forward to a positive experience here...

12. j.man1503

j.man1503 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!