Center Channel Speaker
None
Surround Speakers
None
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
36"
Would like to measure a pair of KEF 104/2 but not exactly sure what values to put in each of the boxes. Probably, no right answer but if there are any suggested settings for critical parameters would welcome your help. I am using a MiniDsp Umik pointed directly at the speaker not 90 degree. I use these speakers for music ONLY.

I attached a pic of my current settings. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• KEF 104:2 settings.png
    KEF 104:2 settings.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 107

John Mulcahy

REW Author
To measure the speakers none of the settings in the target panel matter, they only come into play if you want to look at the overall measured response against some reference idealised response with an eye to considering some EQ. They typically get adjusted after making the measurement. It will usually be apparent in the measurement where the low end rolls off, so that helps in choosing the LF cutoff if the nominal target is a full range speaker, for example. In-room measurements at the listening position will typically show an overall downward tilt of perhaps 6 dB or so from the lowest frequencies to the highest, that is where the LF rise and HF fall can be applied.

Timothy Ivie

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
tim.ivie@gmail.com
Main Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Front Speakers
Kef 104/2
Center Channel Speaker
None
Surround Speakers
None
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
36"
Once measurements are made I intend to use REW to create the EQ file which will be imported to MiniDSP plug in. Therefore, I may need to make adjustments to some settings and take another measurement. My goal is dial in the woofers. In my case I have physically' removed KEF woofers from on board crossover network.

I have been using NONE for speaker type when measuring my KEF 104/2. Is that ok?

Lastly, I would like to share my measurement process and ask you for comments or suggestions. See below

Using MiniDSP plugin I bypass the crossover on initial measurement for all outputs. There are 4 outputs to measure: left woofer, right woofer, left mid/tweeter and right mid/tweeter. I mute all but one and then take measurements from 5 locations. Repeat until all 4 outputs have 5 measurements.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You can alter the target to anything appropriate after you make measurements. None is just a flat line.

Are you planning to make the speaker active and use the miniDSP to implement the crossovers?

Timothy Ivie

More  
tim.ivie@gmail.com
Main Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Front Speakers
Kef 104/2
Center Channel Speaker
None
Surround Speakers
None
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
36"
As you can no doubt tell I am a total beginner. With measurement done it is up to me to experiment to see what works for my situation.

At present the woofers are not part of KEF crossover network, disconnected last year. Have two Parasound HCA 1000A one for woofers and one for Mid/Tweeter. I am using a MiniDSP 2x4 HD to control the routing, XO, EQ. Once I become a little better at dialing in LF the next step in the project is to replace Parasound amps with Hypex Fusion Amps. Once that is done this will be a fully active pair of KEF's.

Thanks

Timothy Ivie

More  
tim.ivie@gmail.com
Main Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Front Speakers
Kef 104/2
Center Channel Speaker
None
Surround Speakers
None
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
36"
@John Mulcahy

I would like some pointers to REW documentation covering how to measure 3 way speakers with an eye to apply EQ for room correction. As mentioned in previous post my system is mixed active / passive. Woofers are not part of KEF XO network. Up to know I have measured woofers separate from the mid / tweeters. I apply EQ to woofers based on the actual measurements taken but have not applied any EQ mid/tweeter. Would you suggest taking measurements with with all drivers together and then apply EQ? Just a little concerned that my mixed active / passive system might need a non conventional approach. Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Where is the crossover from woofers to mid? Wouldn't apply EQ for modal resonances above abut 200 Hz, so woofers only probably fine.

Timothy Ivie

More  
tim.ivie@gmail.com
Main Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Front Speakers
Kef 104/2
Center Channel Speaker
None
Surround Speakers
None
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
36"
thanks so you agree best not to mess with mid/tweeter. I have the woofer crossover set at 85dB for the past few weeks but do have various others ranging from 75 to 100dB.

When I take a woofer measurement crossover is bypassed and use REW to create the EQ filter. I then apply the filter using minidsp plugin. Once that is done I set the XO and have a listen.

Perhaps I missing a step or need to modify my procedure???

Top Bottom