Sunfire Theater Grand TGR-401 AVR Repair Help needed

lemoncadillac

I picked up a Sunfire TGR-401 this week. I hooked up a test speaker, plugged in a video cable for OSD. Hooked up an FM antenna for a source and plugged in the power cord. I turned the main shut off switch on the rear on and sat down and opened the manual. While reading the manual receiver is still in the stand by off position. It starts making noise. a buzzing/vibrating sound getting louder and louder. Sometimes it cycles back down then up. After an hour or so it seems to go away. Almost like once it has reached the maximum temp the noise stops.

I then powered the receiver on and played with the onscreen menus. Tuned in an FM station, changed a setting or 2, then audio from 1 channel. Then power cycled off, switched the speaker wire to a new channel, and powered back on the receiver. I repeated this through all the channels. All played audio. I listened to the radio in the background for an hour or so of 1 speaker music and I was finished for the night. If I unplug the receiver and let it cool down to room temp. and start the receiver again, The horrible vibration/sound return. It seems to be coming from the left rear of the receiver. I posted a picture of where I think it is coming from. Not very much room in this area. In stand by it has cycled on and off a few times(the sound and vibration) Any thoughts would be helpful. My only other option is to ship the receiver who knows where and hope. I have not had very good luck shipping high-end electronics. I have no one I am aware of in my city that works on Sunfire products. I have requested an RMA from Sunfire as a last resort.
Thank you in advance.

IMG-2913.jpg
IMG-2910.jpg
IMG-2912.jpg

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
It could be a bad relay, but that is merely a guess. I would definitely contact Sunfire and see if they have any service centers near you they can recommend... otherwise ship it to them for repair.

Top Bottom