Struggling to find new Dual Sub output via Umik (also new to Rew but learning fast)

steviedr

Registered
Hi,

I have a Yamaha A3070 (from new) along with an SVS SB2000 sub for over 2 years now. I have a 5.1 system with Kef R500's as the main F/R speakers. I have been happy enough with the sound, but always felt music had poor audio. I increased the AVR's sub levels as well as adding more sub trim, but when I read that most people thought the SVS was superb, well, I was underwhelmed. So a few years go past and I decided maybe its a room issue, so purchased an mindsp Umik and upgraded my SB2000 to dual SB2000 pro's (I had always wanted to go dual anyway - the idea being I can use the onboard SVS app to help with room correction). So without even running a new Yamaha YPAO (room correction), the bass of the new sub did sound more substantial. But I ran the YPAO again (adding the second sub) so I could start to use the Umik to take readings, align subs etc... Changed YPAO from auto to manual, set speaker to small, crossover to 80HZ. The subs are set to layout (within avr) 2*monaural

First time round, Yamaha ypao with SVS sub volume/gain at -10dB (svs state to use this), Yamaha put sub levels at -10dB for left sub and -10dB for right so went back to run again at SVS volume/gain -20dB as the original -10dB suggested sub gain was too high
I run ypao with SVS gain at -20dB, Yamaha puts levels at -3.5dB for left sub and +2.5dB for right (the right does have a bit of a sofa in front of it, so different figures seemed acceptable).

Again, like having the single sub, sub output seemed low, had to add additional sub trim on receiver to +2.5dB, even moved SVS sub volume/gain to -15dB

So setup – laptop running Rew, hdmi out and into the Yamaha A3070 receiver. Minidsp Umik connected to laptop. Taking measurements once the Yamaha volume has been set (-17dB) to allow an REW pink noise test tone to generate 75dB on the Rew SPL meter.
Default device output usually states LG TV (but hdmi cable was disconnected when taking this screenshot) Input is the Umik, tab for mic shows the umik calibration file (90 degree cal file). See attached Rew1/R2. The AVR DSP is "straight" (F/L/Sub and I power one sub off at a time)

Now I have had limited time to play with this, but what immediately confused me is that I have watched many videos (on Sub setup using Rew) and they state you should see a flat level around 75dB until 20Hz when it will dive off, mine dives after 70Hz which may explain lack of sub output? My graph attached R3, shows how poor the output is, the Kefs are doing most of the lifting.
Maybe I am doing something wrong (hence the post) but have tried several times and checked against youtube videos from the like of audioholics.
I also changed the crossover to 200HZ, so forcing all bass to the sub, but still no joy.

Now don't get me wrong, we normally listen above -32dB, as we sit 4M opposite the speakers, if I crank up the yamaha to -25dB with Fury UHD, the subs certainly kick in and running YPAO I do hear the sub rumble, but at quieter volumes, I can hardly hear any sub output. I also use Yamaha YPAO volume (which I believe is like a house curve, so at quieter volumes, it will up the sub levels).

I have read the Yamahas can have voltage issues on the sub outputs (some have sent in for repair and issue was resolved - found posts on AVS forum no real bass pb 4000 yamaha rx a3070 )

I phoned Yamaha and they had none of it saying the issue is either Rew or the Umik.
I still have warranty, but just wanted to run it by this forum in case there is something obvious I have incorrectly measured. Go easy :) I am new to Rew and more of a videophile...

The way I look at it is, always felt bass was average, replaced subs, still average, purchased a Umik to show what I was hearing (or wasnt), so it all points to the AVR, trying to build a case for the warranty...

Appreciate any help/pointers

Thanks
Rew1.png
R2.png
r3.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Measurement looks like a main speaker without sub, "Straight" may not do any bass redirection. Switch the subs off and see if it looks any different. If you are unsure of the AVR's behaviour measure the sub outputs by connecting to them directly to eliminate any acoustic/room effects.

steviedr

Registered
Measurement looks like a main speaker without sub, "Straight" may not do any bass redirection. Switch the subs off and see if it looks any different. If you are unsure of the AVR's behaviour measure the sub outputs by connecting to them directly to eliminate any acoustic/room effects.
Thanks John, When I select dsp Straight, the AVR lcd lights up F/L speaker plus both subs. I would then power of one sub at a time and measure. If I was to listen to content, the subs are active (I've also made sure they are on rather than auto/standby), I can hear very low output from them.

When you say connect the subs directly, do you mean to another device rather than the AVR? I do have a Panasonic UB820 (uhd player) but there is no preamp, so it is full volume, if I connect a sub, it will be very loud (I didn't let it run over a bass heavy section as I don't want to kill my sub, but running soldiers footsteps from the start of Dunkirk UHD as an example, the sub is definitely ok).
I don't have any other devices to test it on.

My sub supplier is going to help out by sending me an old Yamaha AVR to test against, but with Covid restrictions, that may be some time away..

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The AVR's sub outputs, not the subs themselves, i.e. connect the soundcard input directly to the AVR's subwoofer outputs to measure what is coming out of the AVR connections.

Top Bottom