GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
So here's an interesting scenario... eliminating all but one of your cable boxes in favor of buying Roku Streaming Sticks.

Just some back story: every year or so a Comcast/Xfinity tech has to come to our home because of signal issues. Typically we're experiencing internet dropouts or blocking on TV channels. This year it was both.

Of course, every time a tech comes, they have a different solution. Typically it involves adding or removing a signal amplifier to the line into our home, or scheduling another tech to alter the signal coming from the box down the street.

Last week we had a tech that moved our primary cable box to a direct line that is closest to the box (no biggie, because all of the new Xfinity boxes that don't have an onboard DVR can access the DVR on the primary box). Then he told me I could have my cable modem and a cable box on the same line. Our modem is in our master bedroom... of course there's a TV there too. So, his recommendation was to ditch the box and buy a Roku Streaming Stick +.

If you're a comcast customer, then you probably know that you can watch your Xfinity service (and any DVR material) on your phone or computer using the Xfinity app. There are some restrictions if you're on cellular. But, if you're on your home Wi-Fi, then you have the same access through the app as you do when watching using a cable box.

Roku now carries a beta version of the app on their equipment.

So, I took his advice. Returned the box (which is going to save me $10-15 bucks a month in gear rental fees) and bought a Streaming Stick+ for $60 at Target.

Set up of the stick was simple. And setting up the Xfinity beta app was also easy (you do need access to a computer to do it... otherwise, no issues.

The beta app environment is practically identical to the environment you experience on your computer or phone. Yes, it takes slightly longer to access than a cable box. But we're talking about seconds here or there. And the streaming quality is pretty good! The stick is associated with a 55" TV. Most of the time the picture quality is flawless. Occasionally there's a little evidence of blocking or a deteriorated picture. (We have 300mbps down).

The tech told me that some customers are returning all boxes except one...and installing Roku sticks all around their home. Right now we have a totally of 3 boxes in our house (one master and two subs)... and I'm thinking about it.

Anyone else going down this path?

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Interesting...just don't know what the quality would be in the long term. I pay a ton for rental on all my boxes. And Dish has DishAnywhere App. Not sure if it is accessible on a networked tv or other streaming device. Accessing your service on multiple devices is usually limited at the same time (like three devices). But if you only had three boxes too start with...you may be ok.

Top Bottom