Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Steven Universe: The Complete Collection

Movie: :4star:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :3stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

Steven Universe has been the glory child of the last 7 years, and has gone on to have a MASSIVE following (not just a cult following) that actually turned me off to the show. I know, I know, it’s stupid, but I have a tendency to have a slightly antagonistic first response to things that general society deems as “the greatest thing ever”. It’s why I didn’t watch the Harry Potter films until the 4th one came out, and ignored Inception for over 6 months until a friend I trust implicitly (well, at least in regards to his taste in movies) told me I had to see it. Thus, like usual, I ignored Steven Universe until I got this option to review the set, binge watch 6 seasons AND a movie in order to see whether or not it’s worth the price of admission. I hate to say it (like I always do), but Steven Universe is an adorable Cartoon Network show with a sci-fi/super hero theme, but with a subtext of utter kindness. I tend to shy away from what I consider “woke feelies” type of entertainment, but Steven Universe bypasses the normal tendency to over politicize kindness, or saccharine coat it, but instead crafts an intricate world where kindness and friendship bonds are really the star of the show.

The animated series is created by Adventure Time alumni Rebecca Sugar, and revolves around an alien race of invading women known as the “Gems”. These alien women are lorded over by a sect of 4 of their kind called “The Diamonds” and are intent on reshaping their universe according to their very rigid and legalistic caste system. The show doesn’t let you into this fact near the beginning, but gradually unveils the knowledge that a group of Gem’s formed a resistance known as Crystal Gems, headed up by a woman named Rose Quarts (Susan Egan), thousands of years ago. Their main goal was to resist the Diamonds and protect Earth from them at all costs. However, the present time has shown that Rose has died, but not before she gave birth to half gem, half human son named Steven. A son who doesn’t realize his connections to his alien half and is forced to come to grips with that as the show progresses.

Raised in part by his ex rock star dad Greg (Tom Scharpling), Steven (Zach Callison) and the last three surviving Crystal Gems. Garnet (Estelle), uptight and snooty Pearl (DeeDee Magno Hall), and the immature Amethyst (Michaela Dietz) contribute their flavor of raising to Steven, but due to the fact that he’s part human, Steven’s powers and destiny are slow coming to him. Meaning the first season or so he’s more of a glorified mascot to the three Crystal Gems and their battle against the Diamonds and the rest of the Gems. However, as the 6 seasons progress, Steven begins to build upon his powers and slowly mature into the powerful leader that the Crystal Gems need in order to defend earth from the rest of their race.

While the series seems straight forward and simply limited by the battle against the Gems, the show’s largest strength is upon the strength of the relationship bond among the characters, as well as Steven’s inherent decency as a human being (or half human being). It’s not that he’s just one to look for nonviolent solutions while Amethyst and Garnet are cheerfully ready to apply some judicious force, but also due to the fact that Steven honestly tries to look for the best in whatever person he’s dealing with. Even though it may be an enemy, or just a friend who is angry. He’s a sweet character, but I was honestly surprised at how appealing he is as a character. As a guy who cheerfully believes that everything has it’s time and place, including violence, it’s nice to see that the creators didn’t write him as a super “woke” character who ignores the reality of violence in humanity (and aliens), but rather a character who understands that it’s not always a necessity to have it as a first resort. It makes him a powerful figure and his successes, whether they be pacifistic or when he chooses to pull out his offensive power, all the more satisfying.

Rating:

Not Rated by the MPAA

Video: :4stars:
All 15 discs (including the movie) are very nice to look at as the show has a very colorful motif. Bright pinks, purples, blues and every other shade in between are represented, and the super power explosions show off some great bursts of varying hues. The discs are well spaced out for the seasons, and while I did notice some SLIGHT macroblocking, the image is more than capable for a modern animated cartoon. Blacks are inky and dark, and I only noticed a few instances of color banding in the darker sequences. Good looking show and the only real major negative is due to the fact that the way the show is animated doesn’t lend itself towards massive amounts of detail. The simplistic animation shows off everything it can, but it’s just not designed to be mega intricate.

Audio: :4stars:
Steven Universe comes with a 5.1 Dolby Digital track that is comes across as very “solid” without being exceptional. The show has a lot of action and typical super hero type of confrontations, so expect good surround usage and some strong bass output. But being that this is an animated TV show, don’t expect it to rival multiple hundred million dollar blockbusters in terms of sound design. Vocals for the characters are crisp and well defined, and the before mentioned bass is still pretty kicking for the type of show it is. Solid all the way around.

Extras: :3stars:
• Animatics
• Music Videos
• Steven Universe Minisodes
• Steven Universe The Movie: Sing-A-Long
• Commentary for Select Episodes

Final Score: :4stars:

I honestly went into the show with low expectations and a suspicion that I was going to find it too “woke” considering how it was advertised in many social circles, but ended up being very pleasantly surprised with the show. The 6 season series is included in this collection, along with the movie in a 15 disc fold open digipack set. I still loathe the use of those cardboard sleeves for these type of releases, but the packaging is very attractive, and each “sleeve” for the individual discs come with some nifty artwork. For fans of the show this is an absolute steal, and a great purchase. For newbies to the show, It’s still worth it as a blind buy as the appeal for Steven Universe is very broad against all demographics, and even warmed this cynical reviewers heart a good bit. Definitely a nice buy.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Zach Callison, DeeDee Magno, Michaela Dietz, Estelle
Created by: Rebecca Sugar
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 MPEG2
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH
Studio: Warner Archive
Rated: TV-PG
Runtime: 2062 Minutes
DVD Release Date: December 8th 2020

Recommendation: Fun Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I saw maybe a few min every now and then but I never really put the effort to see one entire episode.. Will have to revisit this series.

Top Bottom