REW Beta Release SPL missing?

TonyVO

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to this, so I'm likely being very dumb here.....

I've run my first tests, including soundcard calibration. All tests show up in the left thumbnail column. However, only the soundcard calibrations are showing in the main window when selected. The other measurement tests showed up initially, but no longer show now; at this time, only the calibration plots display in the main window. The Phase, Soundcard Cal, Mic/Meter Cal, all show up when selected, but not the main SPL plot. What am I missing?

(Using v5.19 beta 11)

Thanks, Tony.

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.04.47 PM.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you look at the graph legend you will see the SPL is 358 dB, so off the top of the graph. Go through the SPL calibration process. For existing measurements you can use the graph controls to offset the measurements down to a sensible level.

TonyVO

Registered
If you look at the graph legend you will see the SPL is 358 dB, so off the top of the graph. Go through the SPL calibration process. For existing measurements you can use the graph controls to offset the measurements down to a sensible level.

John,

Thanks so much for replying...

The loopback seems to calibrate well enough... this is the screenshot from the soundcard calibration. A test on the loopback per the instructions confirms this to be the case.

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 7.37.15 AM.png

Then I remove the loopback and move to the mic. And plug in the mic. I hit measure, and before I begin, I run check levels once more to be sure everything is correct.

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 7.39.41 AM (2).png

Check levels seems fine (if I adjust the level to -12dbfs I get clipping errors, so I backed it off to -22). Here's confirmation...

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 7.51.40 AM.png

Then I run the actual measurement .... and it comes out at 360db... Below is the screen cap from the actual run during the test. It's a little hot, but not outrageous?

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 10.01.44 AM.png

I'm not sure what I'm missing here?

Apologies for not getting this.

Tony
(edited to add another image)

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You are missing the SPL level calibration step I linked above. That is not soundcard calibration, it tells REW how to convert the input data to SPL figures.

TonyVO

Registered
You are missing the SPL level calibration step I linked above. That is not soundcard calibration, it tells REW how to convert the input data to SPL figures.
OK... with you now... thank you .... I made two assumptions which caused my problems... 1. I assumed that I didn't need to do the SPL calibration if I wasn't using an SPL mic 2. I assumed the tutorial I was using was current and didn't check the date on it... (
)... Because I don't have an SPL meter to get an accurate reading, I guesstimated and set the level to around 70. Now I have a bunch of cool graphs that I need to to learn how to read. I've attached them here for fun. Thanks for all of your help.

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 2.07.20 PM.png

Attachments

• 2ndSet.mdat
    11.8 MB · Views: 6

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Look like good measurements. Click the Freq. Axis button at the top right of the graph to switch to a log rather than linear spaced frequency display.

Top Bottom