Speaker Prices?!

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Picked up two in ceiling Polk 70-RT speakers for $350 through Walmart. Does Polk really overprice their speakers that much? Polk was asking $250 a speaker on their site.
These will go in the ceiling of my outdoor cover. The outdoor space project I am working on....(new pad, cover, gas lines, outdoor kitchen, fire pit).

GFOviedo

All I know is that Polk Audio sends me a 50% off on their top tier once a year usually during holidays. You can get the same email as long as you subscribe on their website. An organization has to be profitable to be successful. I am sure if you are happy with the performance, then you will not be unhappy about how much you pay for something.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
You can figure about 35-50% typical cost on the big brands. I know of at least one that is even less than that.

Smaller private brands may not be so much... just depending.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Polk is notorious for pumping the price up... definitely keep tabs on their eBay store and that once-a-year 50% off sale!

Mark C Flick

More  
Denon 3805
Main Amp
Acurus A250
Additional Amp
Acurus 200X3
Sony PS3
Front Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 1266-SE
Center Channel Speaker
RBH Signature Classic 661-SE
Surround Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 66-SE
Subwoofers
RBH Signature Classic 1212-SE
Kenwood CT-406
Video Display Device
LG OLED55B9PUA
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix & Amazon Prime
Other Equipment
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
I've seen a few dealer price lists, there is quite a mark up. So this is a real example:
MSRP 2999.99
Dealer Price 1499.99
Never saw the manufacturers cost but it's got to be pretty low, I can't imagine they would let the dealers make all the profits.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I've seen a few dealer price lists, there is quite a markup. So this is a real example:
MSRP 2999.99
Dealer Price 1499.99
Never saw the manufacturers cost but it's got to be pretty low, I can't imagine they would let the dealers make all the profits.

There is a commonly used formula, but in practice, it varies quite a bit. I know that a lot of internet direct sellers have small margins. Manufacturing costs are also complicated, as on paper it typically only includes actual cost to manufacture. It doesn't include overhead costs for the seller (who often doesn't actually manufacture it), the landing costs, etc. True manufacturing costs, including all of that, often are about 3:1 for direct sales and more like 5:1 or more for something sold through a dealer. Some companies also inflate retail in goofy ways. I won't name names, but I had something sent to me from a Chinese company that sells on Amazon. It's retail is it's selling price because it's only available from one place. However, going by the price sheet they sent me and the claimed "retail" price, the cost to a reseller is 1/20th of the retail and 1/10th actual price on Amazon.

I know of two direct sales manufacturers of speakers and subwoofers who use parts that are either off the shelf or marginally modified. The retail price of their goods is less than 10% above the cost for you or I to buy those same parts and build the same product. Most of their margins is simply the discounts they get on the materials. My opinion is that makes them a very good value compared to other products, but it also gives them very little profit.

I've been trying to get a soundproof door manufactured for a few years now. Since I can't manufacture this myself, I need to have it made by a door manufacturer for me and resold through both myself and other dealers. I've met with a number of experts on this and the formula given to me for producing and selling this door was the 5:1 ratio if it is to be marketed by resellers as well (and that is actual direct manufacturing cost, it isn't intended to include all other expenses in operating a business). In my case, I wanted the door to sell for $500, but it is impossible to produce the door for $100. In fact, so far, it is impossible to produce the door for less than $500, and it isn't a good value at $2500 retail.

Top Bottom