Speaker distances

ancientwizard

I'm hoping that someone will have an answer for this problem. I have been using an ECM-8000 microphone with mic amplifier and a loop back for some time now and have not had any problems (ok, no major problems) until now (started two days ago). Suddenly, instead of getting 10 feet distance for my front right speaker, I'm getting 137+ feet. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the software with no luck. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
Did you by chance revers the polarity on the speaker connections?

ancientwizard

Thank you Tony for your reply. You had me second guessing myself and I had to run downstairs to double check my connections. They appear to be correct.
I did a second clean install of REW and still getting the wrong distances. I have an Onkyo 5507 and at this point I'm beginning to wonder if I messed up some of the settings. I can't imagine which one would cause these results but I'll go over them again in the morning.

In any case, I appreciate your input and thanks again for taking the time to submit it.

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Just to be sure you checked both ends? Ive seen it more than once where one end is right but the receiver connection is wrong.

If thats good then my second question is what does the receiver have that speaker set as in its own settings? Are you sure your taking the readings with the receivers settings all bypassed?

ancientwizard

Yes, both ends checked and correct.

I am using stereo mode but I also tried direct with the same results. Everything was working pretty good not that long ago ( 4 or 5 days) and I was in the process of taking a series of measurements to test the crossover points.

I also tried to search most of the A/V forums but I didn't have much luck with that. Either I am not entering the key words correctly or the search algorithm isn't the best.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help me.

Ed Zeppeli

Sounds to me like you're measuring the inherent electronic delay of the processor etc all of a sudden.

Are you taking the first arrival impulse (usually tweeter) and aligning it to zero and then offsetting the other speakers the same amount in the impulse tab?

Tony V.

More  
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Lets back up a bit and look at first: what speakers are you using? are they home made or manufactured. Ive seen it before that the internal wiring can be hooked up backwards at the crossover for example. But if your saying that you had them working properly in the past unless you touched something this kind of change is unlikely.
Did you move the speaker?

ancientwizard

Sounds to me like you're measuring the inherent electronic delay of the processor etc all of a sudden.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking and I will shortly be going over every setting thoroughly.

And no. I have a cable loop on the soundcard that gives me t=0.

Lets back up a bit and look at first: what speakers are you using? are they home made or manufactured. Ive seen it before that the internal wiring can be hooked up backwards at the crossover for example. But if your saying that you had them working properly in the past unless you touched something this kind of change is unlikely.
Did you move the speaker?

The speaker is a Paradigm S6. Nothing has changed physically with the setup. All changes were electronic within pre-pro.

Thanks

ancientwizard

:yay2::yay2::yay2:
Problem has been resolved. I should have guess that it was a relatively simple solution since it just happened pretty quickly. It turns out that a Window 10 update re-set my speaker properties and turned on the enhanced features of the sound card. Once I turned them back off and re-set other stuff like the levels, I'm pretty much back in business. Since, in the process of resolving this problem, I pretty much re-set everything, I now have to go back and put all my settings back to where they were. I must remember to write all of these down so I don't have to guess what they were. :rolleyesno:

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. :T

ancientwizard

At the risk of looking like an idiot, there is one more detail that I should mention. While it was true that a windows update reset my soundcard settings, that was not what was causing the 'problem' which turned out to be a 'not problem'. When I measure with the loopback, I normally use 'direct' mode in which case REW gives me the correct distance. Apparently I was getting the erroneous distance of 130+ feet when using 'stereo' mode. I was not aware of the delay in the Onkyo when in stereo mode as I was under the assumption that it also avoided any signal processing. Feels pretty stupid trying to solve a problem that wasn't a problem.
Thanks

Top Bottom