Soundcard calibration, weird curve

MrFiama

Registered
Hi,

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I'm a newbie and happy owner of my modest Steinberg UR22c. I recently bought a set of Genelec 8020D and I wanted to do a calibration of my setup at home. So I download REW (such a fantastic peace of software) and I proceed to do a soundcard calibration. I connected the loopback and set up REW as suggested in many articles.

ASIO driver, output Left, input 1, the blender control is all the way to RAW settings, phones output to zero, phantom power off. I adjusted the input level to -12dB to match the reference output and this is the result when I press calibrate soundcard.

calibrationresults.png

This doesn't look good, does it? Seems like there is some kind of filter altering the signal. I've been looking for some kind of extra processing filter in my system but I can't find anything unnormal. Switching the loopback cable doesn't help. I'm running windows 11 64 bit. Can anybody point me in some direction?

Thanks in advance.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's pretty odd, does look awfully like EQ but shouldn't be possible with ASIO. Do you get the same results with the R channel and input 2? How about R output to input 1? If there is some kind of monitoring going on the cross connection should avoid it.

jschwender

More  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
Philips dss940
do you use the Steinberg / Yamaha driver ?

MrFiama

Registered
I do, I can post a screenshot of the settings before I take the calibration.

MrFiama

Registered
That's pretty odd, does look awfully like EQ but shouldn't be possible with ASIO. Do you get the same results with the R channel and input 2? How about R output to input 1? If there is some kind of monitoring going on the cross connection should avoid it.

I get the same curve with left and right channel, but it never occurred me to bridge input 1 to right output. I'll give it a try as soon as I come home. Thanks for the answers!

MrFiama

Registered
I have to say that I also updated UR22c to the latest firmware.

MrFiama

Registered
John,

I just tried with input 2 and left and I got the same results. I tried changing USB Mode to USB 2.0 and increase buffer samples to 1024 with no luck. Just to be clear, is this the right setup before the calibration in REW?

input1Right.png

And just to make it clear again. The soundcard's setup is no phantom power, input 1 is loopbacked to Main Output Right in the back and adjusted to match -12dB. Mix is set all the way to DAW, phones and input 2 down to zero. Ouput control is at 12 o'clock.

I did try the calibration in my MacBook with just the same results. I'm wondering if this has to do with the firmware.

jschwender

More  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
Philips dss940
As for REW that ooks ok. Does it change with higher sampling rate? To me it looks like a windows driver issue.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I see the UR22C has built-in DSP, apparently "the dspMixFx UR-C mixing application allows control of all effects". Maybe one of the guitar effects is turned on.

MrFiama

Registered
testing.png

Now that's more like it :) John, it was the built-in DSP!!

Just in case there are other people going crazy about this. Check C:\Program Files\Steinberg\UR-C\dspMixFx_UR-C.exe to disable anything that might alter the test results.

Now it's not the flatest curve, but do I have to worry? :)

MrFiama

Registered
Thank you both for your kind help :) now on to room eq calibration!

Top Bottom