Soundcard Calibration is Different when Laptop is Plugged in with Audiofrog UMI-1

rain27

Registered
I have an odd situation that may be related to my laptop, software, or Audiofrog UMI-1 hardware. Does anyone know why I would have differing results for soundcard calibration when I have my laptop plugged in versus not plugged in? The soundcard calibration looks good when plugged in (first pic). When not plugged in, I have the weird result.
plugged in.jpg
not plugged in.jpg

rain27

Registered
Appreciate the reply. Which soundcard calibration file should I use in this case? If I do RTA measurements, should I use the accurate soundcard calibration even if my measurements are taken when the laptop is unplugged (unplugged gives the weird calibration)? Or use the inaccurate calibration to coincide with the laptop being unplugged while taking RTA measurements?

In other words, is it ever recommended to use the soundcard calibration with the odd reading? Or just use the calibration that has the better calibration result regardless of whether I take RTA measurements with the laptop plugged in or not?

If I use the odd sound calibration file, does that mean I will have inaccurate RTA measurements?

Thanks for the help!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Use the clean one. Both are the same, one just has noise added to it. If you use a noisy cal file, its noise will end up in all your measurements.

Top Bottom