REW Beta Release Sound card calibration

Breeman

Hi John,

Not sure if this question has been asked before but I would like to know if REW measures or calculates the phase response of sound card during the calibration process. The frequency response of my asound card is very flat within the audio spectrum; as shown in the screenshot, but the phase is not. Does the phase response get used when making acoustic measurements or does REW assume it to be flat?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The phase response is measured and is used when the associated cal file is used.

Breeman

Hi John,

Apologies for hijacking this thread to ask a slightly different but similar question.

Just need to if REW does makes use of the phase response from microphone calibration file or is it ignored? I have seen instances where the phase response of microphone deviating significantly from being flat, especially at high frequencies and I wonder how much of an impact does that have on the accuracy of the measurement. Does REW perhaps, reconstruct the minimum phase version from the magnitude response in the calibration file?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW does not construct a phase response, but if the cal file contains phase data it will be used.

Breeman

Ok great, that is good to know. My microphone cal file did not come with the phase data so I had to reconstruct it using SoundEasy before importing it into REW. Thank John.

Top Bottom