Some advice for REW5.21

GhostDing

Registered
Some advice from tool designers and system engineers:
1. Add project management. For the first time to use the software, you should create a new project. The project package includes all settings and calibration data.

2. Calibration should be able to be exported and imported. For example, if I create a new project and use old measurement hardware, I can import the old calibration, this way I don't need to set up microphone calibration/ADC calibration/DAC calibration/impedance calibration again.

3. Add a new calibration page for managing multiple calibrations.
Add new virtual path /virtual device/virtual channel in the calibration page (virtual device mapping real device, such as microphone. Virtual channel mapping real channel, such as ADC input channel). In the calibration page, for the virtual path function, there should be an enable/disable option, if the user does not want to use this advanced function, choose to disable, so that the user can use the traditional setting method.

3.1 An example:
I need to use the spectrum analyzer function, how should I do it?
(1) Add a virtual path on the calibration page.
(2) Open the virtual path, add a virtual input channel (ADC), select ASIO/WDM, sound card input channel, import frequency response curve, manually input sensitivity 17.36Vp@0dBFS peak
(3) Open the virtual path, add a new virtual hardware, select as the sensor type, import the microphone frequency response curve, and manually enter the microphone sensitivity 20mV/Pa@1khz, or -40dBFS rms/-37dBFS peak.

4. The calibration page adds user calibration function to manage all user calibrations, such as 94dB SPL calibration, ADC sensitivity calibration, DAC sensitivity calibration, power amplifier sensitivity calibration, ADC spectrum calibration, DAC spectrum calibration, loop frequency response calibration

5. Loop calibration. A loop virtual channel can be added in the virtual path, ADC/DAC can be selected in the loop virtual channel, frequency response data can be imported, and ADC sensitivity/DAC sensitivity can be manually input. Loop calibration is not very reliable because of different port impedances and coupling capacitances.

6. Define 0dBFS. In order to be more compatible with professional measurement, 0dBFS peak should be used, and in the professional field, the maximum sine wave should be -3dBFS rms.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'll add those to the list for future consideration. There is a View preference for the definition of full scale, "Full scale sine rms is 0 dBFS", selected by default (per AES standard).

Top Bottom