Small mixing room initial measurements

Arsis

Registered
Hi gang, I'm new here and new to REW. I'm setting up a small room for music mixing and thought I would share my quest and get some advice.
Here's my scenario. 12'6" x 11' with a 9' ceiling. The room is completely empty of furniture. The front corners have LenrD bass traps from floor almost to the ceiling. Live end/dead end with 2" thick foam tiles in the front end of the room and 1" thick tiles in the back of the room. The front wall is completely covered and the side walls are completely covered in the front and gradually thinning checkerboard pattern toward the back of the room.
The checkerboard pattern is offset so there are no opposing parallel surfaces. The highly technical clap test turns up no audible flutter echo.

The Hardware :
Mackie HR824 MK1
2 Polk Audio PSW 10 ( these are more for fun than mixing)
MOTU M2 24/192 DAC
UMIK-1

I'm starting with a generic acoustic treatment and the subs are positioned at quarter length distance of each wall. Subs are spiked through carpet to a cement floor. The Mackies are on simple, plate steel and 1" square steel tubing stands and are sitting on top of the subs with 1.5" sorbothane isolation feet.

Measurements were taken from equilateral triangle with the speakers which is about 4' from the back wall.
Here they are.

Attachments

• Initial studio measurements.mdat
    2.9 MB · Views: 45

Arsis

Registered

DanDan

Staff member
Locating speakers a distance from the Front Wall will create a spectacular SBIR DIP. Front Wall treatment of any kind is questionable. Thin foam or any absorbent material will only work on high frequencies.
Many of us consider a 4" panel with a 4" airgap the minimum worth doing. Bogic Petrovic studios had 2' of absorbent all around.
Spikes will conduct sub cabinet vibration into the concrete. It will radiate up to you earlier than the sound travelling though air. Not good.

pklose

Hi Arsis,

the measurement looks already quite good. Usually room measurements are taken at different spots around the sweet spot (4-8 measurements, 40 cm - 70 cm apart) and then averaged.
My personal mixing and Audio room has very similar properties.

The RT60 is already relative low, so be careful with general bass absorption in the corners.

Have you considered using DSP to fix your 127 Hz and 50 Hz Problem?

What stuff are you planning to mix in that room? How do you feel Mixing in there?

Top Bottom