Shrek: 20th Anniversary Edition

Movie: :4.5stars:
4K Video: :4stars:
Video: :4stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :4stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

Has it really been 20 years since Shrek came out? I mean, I was just a sophomore in College at the time so it couldn’t have been more than a few years ago….oh dear. Yes, yes, it’s been 20 years since we saw the big green ogre on the screen, and it’s about time that Dreamworks has one of their older hits go straight into 4K UHD goodness. Luckily the disc is a solid upgrade over the aging Blu-ray and while I would have liked for the other 3 films to come with it in a boxset (well, at least the 2nd, the 3rd is ok, but the 4th is an abomination), it’s nice to see the original getting the white glove treatment.

Shrek was one of those films that just took the cinematic world by storm and became Dreamworks biggest hit before How to Train Your Dragon was even a twinkle in their eyes. A reverse fair tale that lampoons much of the cliches that make Fairy tales so popular, yet was able to honor them at the same time it subverted them. A hard thing to do, yes, but one that Mike Meyers, Eddie Murphy, John Lithgow and Cameron Diaz did with ease.

Shrek (Mike Meyers) is a big green ogre who wants to live in his dismal swamp without bother. Something which he’s been able to do for his entire life, until the human Lord Farguuad (John Lithgow) decides to get rid of all the fairy tale creatures and moves them away from humanity, and into Shrek’s swamp without so much as a how de doo. The most annoying of said creatures being a talking donkey (Eddie Murphy firing on all cylinders) who glomps on to Shrek and tries to befriend him. Furious at being disturbed, Shrek heads on over to Lord Farguuad to demand his swamp be returned to him.

The short statured little “lord” has bigger plans though, as he has plans to marry a princess and become king by right of marriage (cuz that’s totally how it works in medieval worlds). He’s got his eyes set on Princess Fiona (Cameron Diaz) who has been trapped in a castle spire her whole life. The thing is, Lord Farquuad is a complete wuss and has no plans to actually go and risk his own life for her, but instead another. When he sees Shrek’s raw ogre strength, he agrees to let Shrek have his swamp back the way it was as long as the ogre goes out and brings the princess to him. Simple, right? Well, it turns out that Fiona’s a bit more complicated than he thought, and soon the ogre in him is drawn to the strange beauty inside of her, and he’s left with the decision of what to do with his burgeoning feelings.

What made Shrek so much fun was that it struck the perfect balance between lampooning classic fairy tales and honoring them. Lots of winks and nods are given to the typical cliches of the genre, but also the story works on its own as a complete fairy tale. HOWEVER, the biggest boon is how it totally subverts the prince and princess themes, infusing in a little bit reverse Beauty and the Beast as both Fiona AND Shrek come to realize that beauty comes within, and your external appeal doesn’t destroy or enhance ones internal beauty.

The movie also probably would not have been NEARLY the hit it was without Mike Meyers, Eddie Murphy and John Lithgow. All 3 of them are firing on full cylinders and were at the peak of their comedic careers. No one can play a stuffy jackass like Lithgow can (he’s a god in that regards), and both Meyers and Murphy’s chemistry was amazing. Not to downplay Cameron Dias though, as she’s perfect in the role of Fiona, but the above mentioned 3 actors just stole every scene they were in.

Rating:

Rated PG for mild language and some crude humor

4K Video: :4stars: Video: :4stars:
Before I got too in depth into the video, let me remind you that Shrek was created 20 years ago right during the burgeoning boom of CGI animated films. This means that it was created in a time period where CGI animation hadn’t gotten to the jaw droppingly detailed masterpieces that we see today, and by today’s standards comes with a little bit of a dodgy visual experience due to said CGI. Again, don’t get me wrong, the disc is a solid upgrade over the Blu-ray, it’s just that the CGI is a bit smooth by nature and isn’t as finely detailed as more modern animated films. Back then we were still getting used to the heavy load of an ENTIRELY CGI created film and the technology just wasn’t there yet.

Outside of the smoothness and softness of the original animation style, the disc shows some very nice upgrades over the 1080p Blu-ray. Backgrounds don’t show the blurriness that I’m used to with the Paramount disc, and the colors really do pop off the screen. The HDR is a treat to watch as the reds of lord douche-bag’s outfits, or the greens of Shrek’s swamp really jump out at you. Things like the lines and creases on the gingerbread man’s body are startlingly clear, and the sky is crisp and well detailed. Things I had never seen in the film seemed to be much clearer and sharper, despite the sometimes frustratingly smooth 2001 CGI. I DID notice a little bit of haloing here and there, with the biggest offender being lord Farquuad’s hat and face during the Gingerbread man torture scene (really stood out there), but otherwise this is a fairly artifact free experience.

Audio: :4stars:
Upgrading from 5.1, we get a DTS:X track (which is surprising, considering Dolby Atmos is usually the go to next gen audio format vs. the trailing DTS format) and it’s a solid mix, adding just a bit more layering to the already good 5.1 track from the Paramount Blu-ray release. The track showcases some GREAT dialog, amazing surround activity (especially when Fiona is rescued by our dynamic duo with the dragon), and some nifty overhead sequences (mostly in said dragon scene, but the music bleeds into the overheads to create a more encompassing sound). My only real gripe is that the bass is just a tad anemic. To be fair it was always a bit anemic on the Blu-ray as well, it’s just that with the new remix I was hoping for a little more punch and pop during some of the battles (again, the dragon sequences really beg for some more low end. Still, a solid entry that does well for itself.

Extras: :3stars:
4K and Blu-ray Special Features
• Shrek's Interactive Journey: I
• Spotlight on Donkey
• Secrets of Shrek
• Deleted Scenes
• Shrek in The Swamp Karaoke Dance Party
• Music Videos
• Commentary with Director Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson and Producer Aron Warner

Additional Features: Ten Short Films
• Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Party
• Far Far Away Idol
• Puss in Boots: The Three Diablos
• The Ghost of Lord Farquaad
• Scared Shrekless
• Thriller Night
• The Pig Who Cried Werewolf
• Shrek the Halls
• Donkey's Caroling Christmas-tacular
• Shrek's Yule Log

Puss in Boots TV Series Episodes
• Episode 1: Hidden
• Episode 2: Sphinx
• Episode 3: Brothers
• Episode 4: Duchess
• Episode 5: Adventure

Final Score: :4stars:

Shrek was one of those early 2000 films that completely redefined a generation of fairy tale stories. It was perfect at subverting and redefining the very essence of the old fairy tales, and still stands tall on it’s own with a great story. Mike Meyers and Eddie Murphy were on top of their game at this point and the comedy is just spot on. I still catch myself today quoting the film (the whole “Muffin Man” dialog is something my wife and I go back and forth on every once in a while as we quote it verbatim). The 4K UHD is a nice upgrade over the Blu-ray, even if it’s not one of those massive “night and day” upgrades. Well worth checking out.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Mike Meyers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, John Lithgow, Vincent Cassel
Directed by: Adam Adamson, Vicky Jenson
Written by: William Steig (based on book by), Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, Joe Stillman, Roger S.H. Schulman
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 HEVC
Audio: English: DTS:X (DTS-HD MA 7.1 Core), Spanish, French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French
Studio: Universal
Rated: PG
Runtime: 90 minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: May 11th, 2021

Recommendation: Fun Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I agree this movie is good. I also think Shrek 2 was even better. After that, the rest don't compare..

Top Bottom