RTA mode Spectrum vs RTA and changes to SPL.

Lanion

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz 7005
Main Amp
Outlaw Audio 7900
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Other Amp
Outlaw RR2150
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Playstation 4
Front Speakers
ATX A5
Center Channel Speaker
Outlaw LCR
Surround Speakers
Polk Audio LSiFX
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio LSi7
Subwoofers
HSU ULS15 x 2
Other Speakers or Equipment
Buttkicker LFE
Video Display Device
Vizio
I am trying to use a pink noise generator and the RTA feature of REW to make some EQs. I am confused about the difference between the spectrum mode and the RTA mode in the real time analyzer.

In the REW graph attached the green line is taken with the mode set to 'RTA 1/24 octave'. The blue line is with the mode set to 'spectrum' with 1/24th smoothing enabled. The green line is a much flatter frequency response, so clearly it matters which one I pick for the purposes of EQ. Which mode should I use and why?
question.jpg
modes.JPG

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Use the RTA with pink noise or pink periodic noise (pink periodic noise will provide more stable low frequency levels). Pink noise has constant energy per octave, with an RTA (which has a fractional octave frequency scale) it will have a nominally flat response, its spectrum (which has a linear frequency scale) falls at 10 dB per decade.

Lanion

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz 7005
Main Amp
Outlaw Audio 7900
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-2
Other Amp
Outlaw RR2150
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Playstation 4
Front Speakers
ATX A5
Center Channel Speaker
Outlaw LCR
Surround Speakers
Polk Audio LSiFX
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio LSi7
Subwoofers
HSU ULS15 x 2
Other Speakers or Equipment
Buttkicker LFE
Video Display Device
Vizio
Use the RTA with pink noise or pink periodic noise (pink periodic noise will provide more stable low frequency levels). Pink noise has constant energy per octave, with an RTA (which has a fractional octave frequency scale) it will have a nominally flat response, its spectrum (which has a linear frequency scale) falls at 10 dB per decade.

ok, thanks!

bisesik

Registered
Hello! Happy New Year!

Is it possible to change the appearance of the graph which was captured in the RTA Window with the Spectrum mode to view of RTA 1/x octave mode for the existing measurement file? I have mistakenly captured many measurements in the past using pink noise in the Spectrum mode instead of white noise. Any chance?

Thank you!
Ivan.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is it possible to change the appearance of the graph which was captured in the RTA Window with the Spectrum mode to view of RTA 1/x octave mode for the existing measurement file?
No, not after the RTA capture has been saved as a measurement. You could multiply the data by an inverse pink response to get something similar to an RTA result, using trace arithmetic A*B. Examples to use for multiplication for 48 kHz and 96 kHz data attached.

Attachments

• spectrum.mdat
    103.9 KB · Views: 8

bisesik

Registered
No, not after the RTA capture has been saved as a measurement. You could multiply the data by an inverse pink response to get something similar to an RTA result, using trace arithmetic A*B. Examples to use for multiplication for 48 kHz and 96 kHz data attached.
Thank you John! It works!
1704296655933.png

You did my day!
Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom