REW Windows 64-bit installer

REW Beta Release REW Windows 64-bit installer V5.20 beta 39

You Must Login or Register to Download

Jackox

I think my problem is related to the MiniDSP EARS.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Have a java problem with Beta 35 (both 32 and 64 bit versions)

REW V5.20 Beta 35 running JRE 1.8.0_241 32-bit on Windows 10, fr, windows-1252

Stack Trace:
roomeqwizard.S.B(y:224)
roomeqwizard.E.A(y:1133)
roomeqwizard.E.E(y:1517)
roomeqwizard.E.A(y:2022)
roomeqwizard.iG$15.actionPerformed(y:589)
Thanks for the report. I guess you are using the "Separate cal file for each input" option. I have fixed the bug for the next beta, as workarounds in the meantime either turn off the separate cal file option or set it after startup and turn it off before shutting down.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I noticed a problem with previous versions that still exists in Beta 35: Load any file with at least two measurements. Switch the view tab to Distortion. The displayed distortion is way too high! Then when you switch to a different measurement the distortion displayed is correct and stays correct thereafter.
Thanks Ethan, I'm assuming you are referring to the THD trace and you had the distortion axis set to dBr or percent? If so, I believe I have fixed that for the next beta.

John Mulcahy

REW Author

Marc Lombardi

My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Nord One 2x700w
Additional Amp
Outlaw 7500 5x300w
Other Amp
Emotiva PA-1 300w
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO-205
Front Speakers
Magneplanar 3.7
Center Channel Speaker
Magneplanar CC5
Surround Speakers
Magneplanar MC1
Surround Back Speakers
Polk Dipole
Subwoofers
Outlaw Ultra X-12 and LFM1-C; Magneplanar DWM
Other Speakers or Equipment
MiniDSP 2x4
Thanks for the update John, it looks like it fixed a couple issues I saw with 35. I am seeing a strange thing with impulse response with 36 that I also saw with 34, that sometimes I open a set of measurements for 5.1 speakers and two of the impulses are at -5ms and the rest at 0 where they were before. Also sometimes the phase response looks different when I open a set of measurements later .... different from what they were at the moment I took the measurements.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks for the update John, it looks like it fixed a couple issues I saw with 35. I am seeing a strange thing with impulse response with 36 that I also saw with 34, that sometimes I open a set of measurements for 5.1 speakers and two of the impulses are at -5ms and the rest at 0 where they were before. Also sometimes the phase response looks different when I open a set of measurements later .... different from what they were at the moment I took the measurements.
Can you provide an example mdat file?

Marc Lombardi

My AV System  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Nord One 2x700w
Additional Amp
Outlaw 7500 5x300w
Other Amp
Emotiva PA-1 300w
OPPO-205
Front Speakers
Magneplanar 3.7
Center Channel Speaker
Magneplanar CC5
Surround Speakers
Magneplanar MC1
Surround Back Speakers
Polk Dipole
Subwoofers
MiniDSP 2x4

Attachments

Ethan Winer

Thanks Ethan, I'm assuming you are referring to the THD trace and you had the distortion axis set to dBr or percent? If so, I believe I have fixed that for the next beta.
Yes, and yes, it's fixed. Excellent, thanks John! FYI, I recently submitted an article to audioXpress (US print magazine) showing how to measure distortion of passive components and also active devices using REW. So I had my nose deep into all of the distortion options in your fantastic program. :T

John Mulcahy

REW Author
File attached. Thanks!
The left channel is the timing reference but it has a big reflection 4.9 ms after the direct peak, I'd guess that sometimes that reflection is stronger than the direct signal causing the ref to shift by 4.9 ms. The centre channel looks much cleaner, probably better using that as the timing reference.

Marc Lombardi

My AV System  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Nord One 2x700w
Additional Amp
Outlaw 7500 5x300w
Other Amp
Emotiva PA-1 300w
OPPO-205
Front Speakers
Magneplanar 3.7
Center Channel Speaker
Magneplanar CC5
Surround Speakers
Magneplanar MC1
Surround Back Speakers
Polk Dipole
Subwoofers
MiniDSP 2x4
The left channel is the timing reference but it has a big reflection 4.9 ms after the direct peak, I'd guess that sometimes that reflection is stronger than the direct signal causing the ref to shift by 4.9 ms. The centre channel looks much cleaner, probably better using that as the timing reference.
Aha ... thanks John, I'll use the center from now on. Should give me more consistency.

I'll explain something else that has a bearing here, though I don't know that there's anything I can do about it ..... My L/R Magnepan 3,7's are set up in the "Rooze" configuration, 45 degrees angled to the side walls and pointing toward the hard reflective side walls. At the MLP I hear the reflected sound from the side walls as the direct sound. So the small peaks at the beginning of the impulse are "leaked" direct sound from the speakers. The large peaks are what I hear reflected from the side walls, as the actual direct sound. Maybe this substantially invalidates the impulse calculation. It probably confuses the heck out of the Dirac Live calibration too. But it sounds great :-)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi John. The beta 36 version does not work to make the measurements.
What processor does your computer have, mik? Please try uninstalling the 64-bit version and using the 32-bit version instead. It has all the same features, just uses the 32-bit Java runtime.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW Windows 64-bit installer with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 beta 37 Windows 64-bit installer

Changes in V5.20 beta 37:
  • Allow stepped sine levels down to -144 dBFS and end frequencies up to 80 kHz
  • When a group of measurements is loaded or saved remember the note saved with them (if any) and show it when next prompting for a note when saving all measurements as a group
  • Allow the signal generator to adapt to screen height down to 600 pixels
  • Added option to choose .txt or .frd as the extension when exporting all measurements as text
  • Bug fix: Room simulator...
Read the rest of this update entry...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Toshiba laptop
Hmm. Previous inexplicable crashes fixed by using the 32-bit build were on machines running a Pentium N3530 and N3540, yours is N3510. I may put a warning in to advise folk with Pentium N35xx processors to use the 32-bit build.

mik

Strange. Because all 64-bit versions lower than beta 34 worked fine on this PC and without Java problems.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Strange. Because all 64-bit versions lower than beta 34 worked fine on this PC and without Java problems.
Are you using ASIO4All? The beta 37 release has a fix for some odd behaviour of the ASIO4All driver that could have somewhat unpredictable results.

mik

I'm using pilot ASIO Topping_UsbAudio_V4.67.0. Topping D70.
Never managed to operate the ICICLE USB sound card to make measurements with ASIO. In this because this card is invisible in "Inpute Device" of REW preferences. For that I have to use Java.
Never understood whether to calibrate this card or not. And how. Micro Apex 220 with its correction file which I use.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW Windows 64-bit installer with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 beta 38 Windows 64-bit installer

Changes in V5.20 beta 38:
  • Added a control panel for the FlexASIO driver
  • Added a bit monitor for the input data at the bottom of the main window
  • Show a warning message if using Pentium N35 with the 64-bit REW build, with recommendation to use the 32-bit build instead
  • Bug fix: RTA captures with controls showing would put controls under levels panel
Read the rest of this update entry...

andyc56

Hi John,

I'm getting a null pointer exception when I close the new FlexASIO control panel using its close button in the upper right of the dialog.

Here's some info about my system.

I'm running a Tascam US-16x08, which is set to be the default Windows sound device, in 7.1 mode. This device doubles as my "daily driver" HTPC sound output device and is also used for measurements in situ. I'm using it in conjunction with Equalizer APO, so that FlexASIO allows selecting any desired channel, but also shows the effect of the Equalizer APO EQ using the default DirectSound mode of FlexASIO. My FlexASIO.toml looks like this:

Code:
[input]
device = "Microphone (US-16x08)"
This non-default input was needed because using the defaults, only 2 inputs were "seen" by FlexASIO. With this change, all 16 inputs are visible. I did this because I have a hardware loopback from the center channel output to input 10 on the back of the device which is always in place.

Attached is a zip file with the null pointer exception info, an example REW log, and my FlexASIO.toml.

This doesn't seem to impact my ability to do measurements, as everything I need to specify is done by FlexASIO.toml. I was just curious about the new FlexASIO control panel.

Attachments

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm getting a null pointer exception when I close the new FlexASIO control panel using its close button in the upper right of the dialog.
That file is a little more sparse than I was expecting. Try deleting or renaming the FlexASIO.toml file and selecting the input in the REW control panel.

Top Bottom