REW Windows 64-bit installer

REW Beta Release REW Windows 64-bit installer V5.20.3

You Must Login or Register to Download

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes, if using the tail or replicate data options you will see a difference in the minimum phase impulse response.

CAAudiophile

Staff member
Hi John, not sure why the Timing reference volume is too low and when I take a measurement I get the message "Waiting for the Timing reference"? Any idea what to do
Thank

CAAudiophile

Staff member
OK I found out that there is a field to select the Timing reference from the measurement window. But now when trying to calibrate my new soundcard .. went through al sitting but when the graph is generated it doesnt show a straight line rather showing the graph of the speakers that is connected to the sound card and AMP! Should the soundcard calibration be a straight line?
Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes, it should, with a roll-off at each end. If you instead have a room measurement you either have not connected the loopback from output to input or have not selected the input channel the loopback is connected to as the measurement channel.

CAAudiophile

Staff member
Thank you John, I am using the proper setup, however it seems the soundcard calibration graph follows that of the crossover of the speaker that it's been used when making the calib. file. is this ok?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The soundcard cal file is there to compensate for the soundcard, it shouldn't have other responses in it. I'm not sure why it should have a speaker crossover response if you are just connecting a soundcard output to a soundcard input, unless your soundcard output is configured as a bass limited/small speaker somewhere in your computer audio configuration and processing/enhancements are not bypassed. Are you saying it rolls off below 80 Hz? Where is your loopback connected?

My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.32 AVB
Main Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry MEGASchino MONO's
Additional Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry Maraschino's
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
HTPC
Front Speakers
JTR Speakers Noesis 215RM
Center Channel Speaker
JTR Speakers Noesis 215RM
Surround Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Front Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Subwoofers
4 ea JTR Speakers Captivator S2's
Other Speakers or Equipment
Infinite Baffle - 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Seymour AV Retractable CenterStage XD
Thank you John, I am using the proper setup, however it seems the soundcard calibration graph follows that of the crossover of the speaker that it's been used when making the calib. file. is this ok?
Try going to Device Manager > Microphones > Microphone Properties and uncheck "Enable Audio Enhancements." If this is checked it causes a rolloff in the microphone calibration that starts at 80 Hz and looks just like a crossover.

CAAudiophile

Staff member
John, here is how the Soundcard is connected:
It is a Focusrite 2i2 with 2 input and 2 out. The L ch-input connected to the L ch-out as a timing loop.
The R- ch input connected to the Mic and the R-ch out is connected to my Pre-AMP + AMP to the speaker under test which is a Midwoofer that is crossed at ~800 HZ
I am wondering if I need all these connection to do soundcard calibration?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Calibration is for the measurement output and measurement input, so to perform the calibration connect the R output to the R input. If you want to calibrate out the preamp response as well connect from the preamp output to the R input, assuming the levels are compatible.

CAAudiophile

Staff member
Does it matter which ch the timing loop is connected to? In my case using the L ch as the timing loop.
Also now that I am using the full speakers system the soundcard calib. file is going all across the audible ferq. 20 to 20k I am guess this better than the 800hz cutoff.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Does it matter which ch the timing loop is connected to?
No
Also now that I am using the full speakers system the soundcard calib. file is going all across the audible ferq. 20 to 20k I am guess this better than the 800hz cutoff.
The soundcard calibration is always a full range measurement. If there are any crossover filters in the path they should be disabled.

CAAudiophile

Staff member
Thanks John. It is hard to find a full range speakers without a crossover, which bring the issue of the soundcard calib. file!! How could it be done correctly when we know that the MIC has it's own issue, so is the speakers and the room where all is played in.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I don't understand that comment, sorry. Soundcard calibration is a measurement of the soundcard through a cable linking soundcard output to soundcard input, it doesn't involve the speaker or microphone at all. There's a separate cal file for the manufacturer-provided microphone response.

CAAudiophile

Staff member
Hi John, I think I was doing it wrong, by calibrating the soundcard with the Loop cable is in the left ch. in+out , while the MIC is connected to other R input and the R-output is connected to the amp + speakers.. and also i was selecting the output channel to the speakers ...."that was the issue" ! Now I only used the loop cable to the output 1 and then to the input 1, of the soundcard and and changed the output to be where the Loop cable is connected. I ran the sweep following the Calib. process and then saving the file as such.
Please validate if this is the correct way for generating the calibration file.
Thank you

John Mulcahy

REW Author
it's close. Ideally the calibration loopback is temporarily connected to the input and output that will be used for making measurements, to avoid any difference between the channels affecting the results.

Top Bottom