You Must Login or Register to Download

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW Windows 32-bit installer with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 beta 39 Windows 32-bit installer

Changes in V5.20 beta 39:
  • Provide more precision for the left and right window width settings
  • Moved the RTA average count panel to the bottom left corner of the graph
  • The signal generator maximum frequency is based on the chosen WAV sample rate when Save to file is selected
  • Added a button to close the FlexASIO control panel
  • Added slope choices from 6 to 48 dB/octave for the Subwoofer and Bass limited speaker targets
  • Improved scope triggering for high frequency...
Read the rest of this update entry...

thexder

Perhaps this might come handy. Not sure if applies to newer versions as well but I believe it is worth mentioning.
I'm using 5.19 version (among the 64-bit version). I'm not prepared to update during setting up my system because I'm afraid ASIO drivers might not work. Took me a while to get them working.

Anyway, I'm doing measurements and while changing a minor detail on my sub the next measurement went completely nuts. It should be a slight change but instead I got very different response. After some tests I ruled out the electronics and restarted my PC. Everything went to normal.

Not sure what caused this but it happened to me before. I never thought it might be program/computer fault.
I will update the 32-bit version to the latest version and hope Asio drivers would still work OK.

thexder

Ok, I finally upgraded to 5.20 beta 39. Asio drivers work fine but the Calibration window is now showing 5 dB when idling. I clicked "calibrate" and the measured noise is 39 dB.
In older version this number was higher, somewhere between 80 - 90 dB.
The older measurements now appear much lower on a graph and are impossible to compare with new ones.
Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

thexder

Hm, I just hit the higher number and now I got the same scale ... Altough it feels that sweep is now a bit more quiet.
There was en error ocassionally but once the calibration is set everything seem to be working normally.

Attachments

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you get error messages please post the details here so I can investigate them. When you calibrate the SPL reading you need to enter the correct SPL figure REW should be reading, usually from a separate handheld SPL meter.

thexder

OK, I understand as this is written on the instructions. If I perform a calibration with a separate SPL meter then new measurements would be more quiet than older ones.
I thought a calibrated mic like UMIK-1 is more accurate then standard SPL meters.

Once the calibration was set (and REW was restarted= the error was gone too. Looks like it was popping up when I tried different levels three times in a row.
If there is a log file I can provide it in case it would help you solve this.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That would be great, log files are in a folder called REW, their location is shown in the About REW dialog - usually in your users home directory. Can just zip that whole folder and attach it. If you have a UMIK there should be no need for calibration unless you have not loaded the mic cal file or the cal file is missing its sensitivity value.

thexder

I have UMIK-1 and I uploded calibration file (checked twice) but the noise floor was showing only 9 dB. I wish my room would be that silent but I'm sure this was an error.
My measurements with 5.19 version were somewhere at 100 dB on a scale. With an upgrade to 5.39 they were 40 dB lower.
I then guessed some numbers (from 80-85 while my SPL meter was showing 32 dB) when doing calibration to get a matching scale. However, with 5.19 version I got max value at 122 dB anad with 5.39 this number is 126. The plots are now on a same scale.
It doesn't bother me any more but I though you should know this.

Attachments

thexder

OK, update. since today (and after restart yesterday) ASIO drivers are not working in 5.39 version.
Looks like some files have been deleted while uninstalling the 64-bit version. I had both installed at the same time).
I downloaded the 1.5 version here:

Install folder by default is Program files. But REW is not giving me ASIO as a choice.
I uninstalled it and choose Program Files (x86) folder. Asio is now found in the device dropdown menu.
But I still didn't get the sound out from the speakers.
When ASIO control panel is clicked I got an error message below. Interesting, the same message occurs when Asio drivers were installed in Program Files folder ...

I then copied FlexAudio content to both locations. I'm now able to measure again. The calibration process is now not allowing me to enter my own number so I will try to match the same level with "level" field in measurement window.

Attachments

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have UMIK-1 and I uploded calibration file (checked twice) but the noise floor was showing only 9 dB. I wish my room would be that silent but I'm sure this was an error.
My measurements with 5.19 version were somewhere at 100 dB on a scale. With an upgrade to 5.39 they were 40 dB lower.
I then guessed some numbers (from 80-85 while my SPL meter was showing 32 dB) when doing calibration to get a matching scale. However, with 5.19 version I got max value at 122 dB anad with 5.39 this number is 126. The plots are now on a same scale.
It doesn't bother me any more but I though you should know this.
Lots of strange things going on in your system. If REW lets you manually calibrate a UMIK-1 it is because it doesn't know the input is coming from a UMIK-1. Can you attach a screenshot of your REW soundcard preferences?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You need to load the cal file under the FlexASIO device, since that is your input source. You have the file loaded for the Java drivers input. If you click the Cal files button on the Measure dialog you should see there isn't a cal file loaded currently.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
OK, update. since today (and after restart yesterday) ASIO drivers are not working in 5.39 version.
Looks like some files have been deleted while uninstalling the 64-bit version. I had both installed at the same time).
I downloaded the 1.5 version here:

Install folder by default is Program files. But REW is not giving me ASIO as a choice.
I uninstalled it and choose Program Files (x86) folder. Asio is now found in the device dropdown menu.
But I still didn't get the sound out from the speakers.
When ASIO control panel is clicked I got an error message below. Interesting, the same message occurs when Asio drivers were installed in Program Files folder ...

I then copied FlexAudio content to both locations. I'm now able to measure again. The calibration process is now not allowing me to enter my own number so I will try to match the same level with "level" field in measurement window.
REW was only looking for the FlexASIO PortAudioDevices.exe file under Program Files, I will have it look under Program Files (x86) as a fallback.

thexder

You need to load the cal file under the FlexASIO device, since that is your input source. You have the file loaded for the Java drivers input. If you click the Cal files button on the Measure dialog you should see there isn't a cal file loaded currently.
Ok, thank you for the tip. Where can I get this file?

thexder

I see, thank you, John.
Like that?
Under the Soundcard preferences when FlecAsio is listed - there should be no cal file?

Once I did some tests and compared measurements with and without cal files.
No big difference - only a bit quieter signal was measured.

Attachments

thexder

Ok, thank you.
Yesterday I encountered the same problem I described above in post #54.
Did two or three measurements, changed a minor setting on the subwoofer, the FR changed.
Since the change every FR was the same no matter what changes have been made.
Restarted the program and everything went back to normal.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
"every FR was the same" and looking like what? Maybe post a measurement.

thexder

Unfortunately I don't have the mdat anymore.
Here is the chronological order:
First measurement: FR was as it should be (the same as day before).
Second measurement: subwoofer setting has been changed and the FR followed this change correctly.
Third and every other measurement: Every change I made didn't show on the FR. It always showed the FR from the second measurement.

If this is an isolated case you should probably ignore it. It may be my PC is having some issues because in the last couple of months I made tons of measurements and used two different REW programs (32 and 64 bit).

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 beta 40 Windows 32-bit installer

Changes in V5.20 beta 40:

Thiele-Small Parameters

• The dual added mass method for Thiele-Small parameter estimation, developed by Claus Futtrup and Jeff Candy, has been implemented. This method provides a very accurate Bl estimate that is independent the driver impedance model and provides a "ZM*" model of the driver motional impedance around resonance, allowing accurate extraction of Mms.
  • The driver motional impedance model has been changed to accommodate...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 beta 41 Windows 32-bit installer

Changes in V5.20 beta 41:
  • Added crossover filters to the DCX equaliser option (Butterworth 6, 12, 18, 24, 48 dB/oct, Bessel 12, 24 dB/oct, Linkwitz-Riley 12, 24, 48 dB/oct)
  • Added crossover filters to the Generic equaliser option (Bessel, Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley up to 48 dB/oct)
  • Bug fix: The measurement trace was disabled on the EQ window filter adjust graph

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 beta 42 Windows 32-bit installer

Changes in V5.20 beta 42:

Impedance measurement

Impedance measurement has received some attention in this release. The impedance measurement process uses the difference between a reference channel and the measurement channel to calculate the impedance. If there are differences between the frequency responses of the channels, as there typically will be at low frequencies for AC-coupled inputs due to component tolerances, those will affect the result. The impedance of test leads...

Top Bottom