REW on Raspberry Pi with Windows 10 ARM version and Java 8 - will it work?

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
As a mainly-for-fun project earlier this year, I bought a Raspberry Pi 4b with 4 GB of ram and loaded the Raspberry Pi OS, Java 8 for Linux, and Room EQ Wizard. It seemed to run ok, although I did not give it a thorough workout, because I quickly discovered that only the L and R mains outputs were accessible as REW output channels. Then I found a post (somewhere, I can’t find it again now) where this was addressed by John M. John said that the Java libraries for Linux were the issue, that they did not make all of the HDMI output channels individually addressable in a way that he needed for REW to be able to work with them.

I recently got thinking about loading a Raspberry Pi with the ARM version of Windows 10, plus Java 8, plus Room EQ Wizard, and wondering if that combination might work.

Here are my questions, mainly addressed to John M., but I welcome input from anyone who has tried this out.

1. For the Raspberry Pi OS, I assume the same limitation exists in the Java libraries preventing addressing all of the HDMI output channels individually by REW. Is that the case?
  2. Is there a version of Java 8 that works with Windows 10 ARM version providing the audio libraries needed for REW to work?
  3. Are there any other known issues that would prevent Room EQ Wizard from working with Windows 10 on an ARM processor?

Thanks for your help.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Only the Windows Java runtime lacks support for multichannel audio, Linux and macOS are fine. I don't know the answers to your questions, perhaps someone else will comment.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Thanks, John, it was many months ago that I ran across the post that I referenced, and my memory of it is hazy. I must have misinterpreted it.

So, to your knowledge, should one be able to individually address all 8 HDMI channels as outputs in REW on a linux system? I better try it again.

Top Bottom