REW no longer recognises input

Mikal42

Registered
I have been using REW for some time now but since the recent Windows creators update I cannot get it to see the microphone input. It sees the sound card and it is the same settings as previously but nothing comes through! The sound card still works with other software ok. I bought a separate USB mic converter and even when set to this no input comes through. It is as if the software no longer accepts an input but it is obviously something else. I've tried uninstalling a reinstalling with the latest version but it is still the same!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you post a screenshot of the REW Soundcard preferences with the mic input selected?
When you say nothing comes through do you mean REW doesn't work at all, i.e. you can't select an input, or the levels are very low? If the levels are low what level are you seeing?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Does the mic or soundcard show up in the Window’s Recording Devices window?

Regards,

Wayne

Mikal42

Registered
Can you post a screenshot of the REW Soundcard preferences with the mic input selected?
When you say nothing comes through do you mean REW doesn't work at all, i.e. you can't select an input, or the levels are very low? If the levels are low what level are you seeing?
I can select the input, I use an external audio interface and that is still shown in the preferences, the same if I use a USB mic adaptor, I can select that. I have tried selecting both left and right channels too. There is just no signal. Oddly, when I run a signal check and switch the phantom power off and then on the meters register the 'thump'. but still no audio comes through.
I hadn't changed any settings since previous use but it just stopped working after the large Windows Creators update.

Mikal42

Registered
Does the mic or soundcard show up in the Window’s Recording Devices window?

Regards,

Wayne
Yes, everything shows up fine in the Window’s Recording Devices window. Everything works fine in Audacity and in my DAW, Ableton Live. I can usually find and fix problems with computers but this has me totally baffled.

Mikal42

Registered
I can select the input, I use an external audio interface and that is still shown in the preferences, the same if I use a USB mic adaptor, I can select that. I have tried selecting both left and right channels too. There is just no signal. Oddly, when I run a signal check and switch the phantom power off and then on the meters register the 'thump'. but still no audio comes through.
I hadn't changed any settings since previous use but it just stopped working after the large Windows Creators update.
The LINE_IN (Master Volume) is the output from my Lexicon interface which is fed from a small mixer with the mic input.
Clipboard01.jpg

This one is using a USB mic adaptor.again I have tried both Left and Right settings ...
Clipboard02.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Could you post a screenshot of the REW input meters? The ones that appear when you use the Levels button in the main window.

Mikal42

Registered
Could you post a screenshot of the REW input meters? The ones that appear when you use the Levels button in the main window.
Hmm, not sure what this will tell you. I presume you mean when measuring, so here you go:
Clipboard03.jpg

Mikal42

Registered
I have installed the program on an old Windows XP laptop that I have and fortunately, it works fine!
So at least this gets me out of trouble, in fact I shall probably just use this from now on as the problem with the other machine just seems beyond it!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That shows the data from the input is all zeroes. There is a (slim) chance it is an issue with setting the input level, if you select the Control input mixer/volume box on the REW soundcard settings REW will try and set the input level itself, which might help.

Are you running the REW version that includes a JRE or relying on a Java version you installed on the PC?

Hipper

Registered
Strangely I've just had this problem where everything seemed to be working properly but the signal from the microphone in effect wasn't moving from the mic pre-amp to my laptop.

It turns out that Java was not installed on the laptop. Installing Java solved the problem.

(I'm trying to work out why Java was not installed [when it clearly was the last time I used REW] and I can only guess that when I updated REW I couldn't update Java because I was working offline and must have forgot)

Top Bottom