REW 'Measure' function won't run

Magialisk

Registered
Greetings all. I'm a long time (10-15 years?) user of REW, so I know my way around the SW reasonably well. Just yesterday something crazy and new happened to me, and I'm stumped for a fix. Googling has turned up nothing, so I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

For background, I'm running a WIndows 10 laptop, and just a few weeks ago was the last time I used REW. At that time, like every time before, everything worked perfectly. I hadn't changed anything about the laptop since then, but since it's Windows 10 I can't be sure if Microsoft did an OS update. I assume they did since otherwise everything would be identical and this would make even less sense.

Yesterday, I went to use REW and everything worked great except I cannot launch the 'Measure' window. Whether I click the GUI button, press Ctrl+M or pulldown the File->Measure menu, it does nothing. There's no error message, for example the "you don't have a Mic so you can't measure" type message, it literally does nothing. All the other windows like SPL meter, levels, generator, etc. all work fine. I can 'check levels' in preferences and it's perfect; audio comes out the speakers and the Mic reports the correct SPL.

This was on version 5.16 w/ JRE, and it had been bugging me for months about newer versions, so I thought I might as well update and hope that fixes it. I updated to the latest 5.19 beta w/ JRE and no change, still can't Measure. Uninstalled REW entirely and downloaded the latest stable 5.18 without JRE (I have Java 8 on my laptop) and same problem, can't bring up the Measure window, but everything else works. I updated my Java to the latest version and same problem. In between all of these steps I rebooted the laptop several times :). Right now I'm back to having the latest beta 5.19 w/ JRE installed, because it didn't seem like the REW version was making a difference. That said, I can't think of anything else to try to make the Measure window launch. Has anyone else ever seen this, or maybe something similar with a different Java application? Thanks in advance for any help!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There may be something in the log files, they are in a folder called REW in your home directory - the location is shown in the About REW dialog. If something has been logged there please attach the files that include it. After that try clearing your preferences, using the Delete preferences and shot down entry in the Preferences menu.

Magialisk

Registered
Thank you John! I checked the logs and it was the same error over and over again, likely from the dozens of times I tried to open the measure window. I'm uploading a clean one with just one copy of the error, in case you find it interesting. That said, deleting my preferences seems to have solved the problem, and my measure window works fine now. I'm not sure how it got messed up in the first place since I haven't changed any preferences in forever, maybe the preferences file just got randomly corrupted. Either way I appreciate the help and I'm thrilled to be back in business! Thanks again.

Attachments

• roomeq_wizard0.log.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 9

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Thanks for that. Looks like the sweep start or end frequency ended up with an invalid value somehow, I've put some extra checks in for the next build.

Top Bottom