REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)

REW Beta Release REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) V5.20 pre release

You Must Login or Register to Download

vtgearhead

Registered
Heh - not a problem! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug or something I was doing wrong :-). Thanks, John!

vtgearhead

Registered
But, here is something that looks like a bug: With the help dialog open under Mojave, I click the 'Print' icon and it throws a Java exception.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: This function should be called while holding treeLock
Stack Trace:
This function should be called while holding treeLock
java.awt.Component.checkTreeLock(Component.java:1201)
java.awt.Container.validateTree(Container.java:1692)
com.sun.java.help.impl.JHelpPrintHandler$JHFrame.validate(JHelpPrintHandler.java:975)
java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2744)
java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
java.awt.WaitDispatchSupport$2.run(WaitDispatchSupport.java:190)
java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

John Mulcahy

REW Author
But, here is something that looks like a bug: With the help dialog open under Mojave, I click the 'Print' icon and it throws a Java exception.
So it does. No REW classes in that stack trace though, it is a JavaHelp bug and JavaHelp hasn't been updated since 2007 so I don't hold out much hope for a fix. Doesn't do that on Windows, oddly enough. Note that all the help is available online.

vtgearhead

Registered
Oh, ugh. Nothing like a broken runtime environment to spice up one's day. Something tells me a JRE from a different vendor might solve the issue.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
JavaHelp is a separate component that just deals with presentation of the html help content, it isn't part of the runtime. Oracle made "Oracle Help for Java" as an extension to JavaHelp, that is now free but also ended development around 2011. Although JavaHelp is a little primitive (and is limited to HTML 3.2 rendering) it works well enough that I haven't really felt the need to devote time to replacing it, given everything else that is on the todo list :)

Lawdog74

Registered
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer AVIC W8500NEX
Main Amp
JL Slash 1000/1
Additional Amp
JL XD600
Front Speakers
Hertz MLK 165.3 Legends
Surround Back Speakers
Hertz MPX 690.3
Subwoofers
JL 12W6 (2)
Other Speakers or Equipment
JL TwK 88
Hello, I am new here, for the most recent update, do I only need to download 5.20 beta 48, or do I need to download more? Thank you!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 beta 49 macOS DMG

Changes in V5.20 beta 49:
  • Added support for sample rates from 352.8 kHz to 1536 kHz to the Linux build
  • Added 2M and 4M FFT lengths for the RTA (mainly relevant when using very high sample rates)
  • Further refinements to EQ target match, with better handling of boost filters
  • When a stepped level measurement is selected do not adjust the X axis span
  • Added setup info to header lines when distortion data is exported as text
  • Bug fix: Index out of bounds could occur after...
Read the rest of this update entry...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 beta 50 macOS DMG

Changes in V5.20 beta 50:
  • Added a "Component model" button to the Impedance & phase graph controls to derive equivalent circuit values for measurements of inductors and capacitors
  • On SPL & Phase/Impedance & Phase only show the right hand phase axis if a phase trace is selected
  • When importing impulse response data from WAV files added an option to import all channels
  • Bug fix: Changing I/O selections with the level meters panel displayed could cause an exception
  • Bug fix...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

eAudio

Registered
VIP Supporter
Hi John,

among the to do list, would you see any chance to add a way to tune/dial/change the trace separation or offset between traces while using the overlays option ?
It might be quite helpfull to be able to adujste and most of the time increase the vertical separation between traces while trying to compare impulse measurements with the overlays option.

Thanks for your help and thank you very much for providing all of us the way to dive into the funny game of acoustics at home !!

Cheers,
Emmanuel

John Mulcahy

REW Author
among the to do list, would you see any chance to add a way to tune/dial/change the trace separation or offset between traces while using the overlays option ?
It might be quite helpfull to be able to adujste and most of the time increase the vertical separation between traces while trying to compare impulse measurements with the overlays option.
I'll add an item for that.

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 beta 53 macOS DMG

Changes in V5.20 beta 53:
  • Changed capacitor component model fit to use data from 100 Hz to avoid issues with measurement errors at low frequencies
  • Increased precision of impedance calibration file entries to improve results at very high impedances, but behaviour will depend on interface capability
  • Plot component model response over the full frequency span rather than starting at the component fit start frequency
  • Added a...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 beta 54 macOS DMG

Changes in V5.20 beta 54:

Graph metrics
  • Added calculation of metrics for a range selected by holding the shift key then pressing and dragging with the left mouse button, implemented for SPL & Phase graph and Filter Adjust graph.
  • Show regression line and T60 value on the Filtered IR graph for a range selected by holding the shift key then pressing and dragging with the left mouse button

Generator
  • Minimum signal level for the signal generator...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Input level meters in the preferences window do not function unless the "Levels" window is also open.
The meters on the preferences panel are only active when doing something which requires audio I/O, such as checking levels or calibrating the soundcard.

srleadjb

Registered
My AV System  
Denon X8500H
Main Amp
Monolith 7X200
Additional Amp
Parasound 5125
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton 5's
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar XXL Center
Surround Speakers
Def Tech 10's
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB2000
Furman power conditioner
Video Display Device
LG OLED 65"
Screen
OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Elite Home
Hi all. Sorry I did not read this entire thread. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro with 10.15.5 Catalina. I purchased this laptop in hopes of using it to run REW with MiniDSP HD on my system. I was able to download REW but it is not recognizing my Denon 8500, which I have connected to my MacBook via USB-C to HDMI adapter. The mic shows up and is all good. Is this purely a software issue or is there some magic setting that I'm missing? THANKS!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If the Denon (or the HDMI output) shows up as an output device in the Mac's Audio Midi Setup utility REW should be able to see it. May need to select the same sample rate in REW as is configured in Audio Midi Setup.

srleadjb

Registered
My AV System  
Denon X8500H
Main Amp
Monolith 7X200
Additional Amp
Parasound 5125
Sony
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton 5's
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar XXL Center
Surround Speakers
Def Tech 10's
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB2000
Furman power conditioner
Video Display Device
LG OLED 65"
Screen
OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Elite Home
If the Denon (or the HDMI output) shows up as an output device in the Mac's Audio Midi Setup utility REW should be able to see it. May need to select the same sample rate in REW as is configured in Audio Midi Setup.
Thanks for the reply. Neither "Denon or HDMI" show up in the Midi setup. I have both REW and Midi set to 48hz sample rate. Do we know if others have successfully connected on this Mac software version, 10.15.5? Could it have to do with the USB-C to HDMI dongle? I've tried different HDMI cables as well with no luck....

srleadjb

Registered
My AV System  
Denon X8500H
Main Amp
Monolith 7X200
Additional Amp
Parasound 5125
Sony
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton 5's
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar XXL Center
Surround Speakers
Def Tech 10's
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB2000
Furman power conditioner
Video Display Device
LG OLED 65"
Screen
OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Elite Home
I should have mentioned that the laptop is recognizing the HDMI connection as it is asking if I want to mirror my display when I plug it in. It is just not showing up anywhere else as a connected device.

sam_adams

I should have mentioned that the laptop is recognizing the HDMI connection as it is asking if I want to mirror my display when I plug it in. It is just not showing up anywhere else as a connected device.
Open /Applications/Utilites/Audio MIDI Setup to see if the device shows up there. If not, disconnect the adapter and reboot the device. When it restarts, immedaitely hold down the option + command + P + R keys at the same time until you hear the startup sound again to reset the nvram.

Once the Mac restarts and you login, plug in the adapter and see if the AVR shows up in both the System Preferences > Sound panel and in /Applications/Utilites/Audio MIDI Setup as an output device. The AVR and the display both need to be powered on. If it doesn't, I suggest that you purchase the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, Model A2119. This model supports HDMI 2.0. The earlier Model A1621 only supports HDMI 1.4b devices.

srleadjb

Registered
My AV System  
Denon X8500H
Main Amp
Monolith 7X200
Additional Amp
Parasound 5125
Sony
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton 5's
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar XXL Center
Surround Speakers
Def Tech 10's
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB2000
Furman power conditioner
Video Display Device
LG OLED 65"
Screen
OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Elite Home
Hello. Thanks again for the response. I did everything you suggested and it is still not showing up. I'm using the Apple adapter and connected the microphone via the usb and it is recognized right away on the Midi, the AVR is on and connected via the same adapter HDMI (which I also just purchased new) and it doesn't show up....Very strange. I even tried several of the rear HDMI plugs instead of the front one and also tried my wife's MacBook, which unfortunately is on the same Mac OS version and it does the same thing, the microphone shows up but not the AVR. All this leads me to believe that it has something to do with the Mac OS version unless someone else has successfully connecting via this set up. Unless you have another suggestion, I guess I am out of luck until an update either in REW or the Mac OS? Or maybe it is the Denon software that's not playing well with the Mac, which actually seems most likely now that I think about it.

srleadjb

Registered
My AV System  
Denon X8500H
Main Amp
Monolith 7X200
Additional Amp
Parasound 5125
Sony
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton 5's
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar XXL Center
Surround Speakers
Def Tech 10's
Surround Back Speakers
N/A
Front Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Rear Height Speakers
Def Tech 8's
Subwoofers
Dual SVS SB2000
Furman power conditioner
Video Display Device
LG OLED 65"
Screen
OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Elite Home
Ok I got it working. For some reason the front HDMI doesn't recognize it but the DVD input on the back panel finally worked. All good now, thanks for your help.

Top Bottom