REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)

REW Beta Release REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) V5.20 beta 15

No permission to download

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Which Mojave version are you running? Runs OK on 10.14 on my test system. If something is preventing startup it might be captured in the log files, which are in ~/Library/Logs/REW

zuma

Hi John,

Thanks for all the work on REW. I'm a new user but think that the program is really cool. I have a question regarding the v5.20 Beta 3 overview:
  • Bug fix: REW V3 measurements could not be loaded
I have been using v5.20 Beta 2 (on 10.14.2) to make measurements and use some of the analysis tools. I shared MDAT files with a friend running REW 5.19 on Win10. He was able to load the file and see the SPL graphs. But the "Generate" button found with graphs such as Waterfall, etc was grayed out.

Does this sound like issue addressed in 5.20 Beta 3 or is this something different?

Thanks again sir,
Mark

John Mulcahy

REW Author
MDAT files (or elements of them) are often not compatible with older versions of REW as new features get added. The latest version can open files from older versions but not vice versa.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 beta 5 macOS DMG

V5.20 beta 5 changes:

• Revised the EQ target setting panel to better explain the target types and separate the room curve controls, which can be separately enabled/disabled
  • Expanded EQ target selections, added a Driver target with LP and HP crossover filter selections, added a check box to enable/disable room curve settings
  • Added a "Speaker driver" target type with configurable low and high pass crossover filter responses
  • Added LP1 and HP1 filter types to the Generic...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Chuck Zwicky

I downloaded and installed Beta 5 three times and it seems to not install correctly in OSX 10.12.6

It launches from the installer correctly but when I run the app from the applications folder it's Beta 2, which is not compatible with the files I created in Beta 5..

EDIT: I removed 5.20 Beta 2 from the Applications folder and it installed Beta 5 properly!

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 16.05.13.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.11.07.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
This was changed in 5.20 beta 3:
  • Changed the macOS installer to install to a directory so that the uninstaller can be included and the roomeqwizard.vmoptions file is more easily accessed
The 5.20 beta 2 you were running was the old bundle installation.

kassette

V5.20 beta 5 doesn't work on Mojave. Tried on MacbookPro using Apollo Twin /Thunderbolt. REW did not receive any input signal. Something wrong with Access Control? Access Control dialog isn't showing at all, as it normally does when measuring on Mojave.
Switched to a previous REW Version - worked.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It works normally for me (and presumably for most of the other 800 or so folk that have downloaded the beta 5 dmg). As of 10.14.3 the OS seems to have stopped asking for access permission every time, once REW is in the microphone access list - it was never supposed to, that was a bug in the macOS access control somewhere. Which previous version did you try? Do you see REW in the access list for the microphone?

kassette

Hi John,
It works normally for me (and presumably for most of the other 800 or so folk that have downloaded the beta 5 dmg). As of 10.14.3 the OS seems to have stopped asking for access permission every time, once REW is in the microphone access list - it was never supposed to, that was a bug in the macOS access control somewhere. Which previous version did you try? Do you see REW in the access list for the microphone?
thank you for your reply.
Need to check out if there is REW in the access list.
It works with 5.20 Beta 3.

Another question, may be here is not the right place for...
I was capturing room responces and generating spectrograms. Same room, same setting I suddenly got an 'off-centered' spectrogram - meaning the spectrogram's horizontal center lies above the null line. I wonder what the reason may be.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Were you using a timing reference? Or is there a very strong reflection? If you look at the impulse graph you can see where t=0 sits relative to the response.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Need to check out if there is REW in the access list.
It works with 5.20 Beta 3.
If it is in the list, check how it appears - "Room EQ Wizard" or "REW". From beta 4 the launcher name changed to REW, I saw some odd behaviour on my mac where audio inputs provided data if I used the old launcher (it will likely still be in the REW folder called "Room EQ Wizard", it is about 850 KB) but not the new launcher. I ended up uninstalling REW then reinstalling and eventually it was appearing in the list as REW, I got the prompt to allow access the next time I started REW and it worked after that. Was behaving quite oddly for a while though.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Are you running anything that hooks into the Accessibility layer? They can cause issues with the installer, there won't be a fix for that until later this year according to the installer provider, in the meantime disabling apps that use the accessibility features until the installation has completed should work. Here are the ones known to cause problems, if you identify another please let me know here.

For those using BetterTouchTool, Magnet Window Manager, Moom or QuicKeys: there appears to be an incompatibility with the Java runtime during installation, disable them while installing REW

Manny LaCarrubba

I've got a potential bug to report here. I'm a long time REW user and I've never seen this behavior. I'm attaching a screenshot for clarification. The screenshot shows two identical measurements (or at least they started out that way). I make a measurement with frequency dependent windowing turned on by default. Then I turn it off in the IR Windows dialog box. Then simply turn it on again. The response is now shelved down about 1dB below ~2kHz. If I make a measurement without frequency dependent windowing turned on, I get the shelved down response and turning on frequency dependent windowing after the fact smooths the curve in the expected manner. So, I suspect that something is going on when frequency dependent windowing is turn on when the data is initially captured.
REW Screenshot ML 20190405.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm not having any luck reproducing that Manny, could you attach an mdat file?

By the way, looks like you are using a retina display - hopefully the icons will look sharper in the next beta release, please let me know if they don't improve.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
They are identical for me. The only way I can get something that looks like your image is to remove the cal files from one measurement. I'll see if I can find some way they might not be applied.

Edit: Fixed now, cal files were not being applied when the measurement was first generated if FDW was selected by default, but would be applied on any subsequent window application.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 macOS DMG

V5.20 beta 8:
  • Don't show smoothing selection on captured graph images, any smoothing selected can be seen in the legend if included
  • Improved positioning of data panels on captured graph images and reduced panel opacity
  • Added an option to include date and time on graph captures
  • Improved icon resolution on macOS retina displays
  • Added a set of icons for the dark colour scheme
  • Windows installers now provide an option to allow multiple instances
  • Windows installers...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom