REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)

REW Beta Release REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) V5.20 beta 24

You Must Login or Register to Download

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hi. Just installed REW 5.19 for OSX from your downloads section. ( 10.7 to 10.14 ). installs fine, but unexpected quit error when trying to run on 10.7.5 mac mini.
REW bundles a Java 8 runtime these days, it seems that only supports 10.8.3+. I've updated the web page to show that.

Manny LaCarrubba

I'm not aware of any inherent issue with 10.13.6, that is what I run on my test machine. Is there any software associated with your soundcards that might need reinstallation? Can you use the soundcards in other software? From a quick google some folk do seem to have problems with the UMC on OS X. The Focusrite looks like it should work, but may require an update to Focusrite control.

As an aside, 5.19 has been released, which supercedes the beta, you will find it at www.roomeqwizard.com
So the issue I reported occurred on a brand new MBP that I had to buy while mine was in for repair. When my one year old but otherwise identical MBP came back (with the same OS) the issue disappeared. I returned the new machine so I can not investigate it any further I'm afraid. Thanks for your speedy reply.

Andrew Reed

My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
McIntosh C41
Main Amp
Classé C101
Additional Amp
Crown DC-300B
Other Amp
Stewart World 1.2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Marantz 6006
Front Speakers
Custom 2-way ported
Subwoofers
Custom transmission line tuned to 17 Hz
Other Equipment
Oracle Delphi, D to A conv.Counterpoint SA 7.1etc
John Mulcahy submitted a new resource:

REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) - macOS 10.7 - 10.13

Read more about this resource...
I have been using REW successfully for a while now. THANK YOU!!
After the latest build, I am now getting buggy measurements.
System: Mac Pro, OS 10.11.6, Scarlet outboard sound card, the MiniDsp Mic, Bal Mini DSP 2x4.
Problem: current measurements do not (a) match at all previous, unproblematic measurements, (b) nor logically reflect eq changes made within the MiniDsp application which can easily be heard during the sweep.
Radical EQ changes result in illogical and minimal measurement changes. For example a radically large peak boost may result in a measured cut even though I can hear the boost.
This applies to both near-field and room measurements.
I suspect some sort of new issue regarding the usb mic and the mac.
Have you seen issues like this before?
Cheers
AR

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No, haven't seen anything like that Andrew. Probably best creating a thread and attaching some measurements to illustrate what you are seeing.

Andrew Reed

My AV System  
McIntosh C41
Main Amp
Classé C101
Additional Amp
Crown DC-300B
Other Amp
Stewart World 1.2
Marantz 6006
Front Speakers
Custom 2-way ported
Subwoofers
Other Equipment
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Bottom (blue) is an older measurement when everything seemed ok. Middle (purple) was sampled at 48kHz. Top (brown) sampled at 96kHz. Top had a 9kHz + 12dB 0.5 Q filter applied with obviously no logical resultant boost.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Need to see the mdat file rather than images. If you change the sample rate in REW make sure you also change the rate in the mac's audio settings otherwise the OS will resample between the two rates. The recent measurements look like they might be suffering from a truncated capture due to latency in the replay chain, that can be tackled by using the acoustic timing reference and selecting the "Wait for timing reference" box on the Measure dialog.

Andrew Reed

My AV System  
McIntosh C41
Main Amp
Classé C101
Additional Amp
Crown DC-300B
Other Amp
Stewart World 1.2
Marantz 6006
Front Speakers
Custom 2-way ported
Subwoofers
Other Equipment
Sep 12 11_08 is today
9.3.18.1 is previous (without issues)
I will try to remeasure with the "wait for T-R" selected.

Attachments

Andrew Reed

My AV System  
McIntosh C41
Main Amp
Classé C101
Additional Amp
Crown DC-300B
Other Amp
Stewart World 1.2
Marantz 6006
Front Speakers
Custom 2-way ported
Subwoofers
Other Equipment
You nailed it!!! Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Phew! For future reference, if you take a look at the impulse graphs you'll see there was something dramatically amiss with the dodgy measurement.

As an aside, your sweep level is set to -3 dBFS, which means the peaks reach full scale. That can be problematic for the replay chain since there is no headroom, probably better to use a lower level. Also worth keeping an eye on the distortion graph, there are some odd areas in the 3rd September measurements where distortion jumps up.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

V5.20 beta 1 macOS dmg

First beta of V5.20
  • Increased audio data timeouts for macOS to accommodate 10.14 Mojave delays in granting audio access
  • Changed text for checkbox to lock sine gen frequency to RTA FFT length and included the FFT length in the text
  • Added Preferences menu entries to set the REW main window to a selection of predefined sizes
  • Bug fix: If not setting t=0 at IR peak the win ref time was not being reset after estimate IR delay, causing incorrect phase for FDW
  • Bug fix: SPL...
Read the rest of this update entry...

bcodemz

I cannot install this version of REW on my MacBook either. I do not have BetterTouchTools installed. The RAM utilization just increases non stop and it must be force quit.

EDIT: I see on the REW website that Magnet is not supported. I disabled magnet and it works now.

Last edited:

Chester

5.20 Beta 1 on 10.14 Mojave; when I try to 'Save All', it asks what I want to label the group as, but then a 'Save Dialogue' does not appear. I can individually save measurements.

I also tried to export a measurement as a text file and ran into the same issue. It seems (haven't extensively tested this) that when there is some sort of intermediate dialogue involved in a save, the actual save dialogue doesn't appear after selecting options on the first dialogue - this is just my observation, not sure if this is actually what is going on.

EDIT: I found that 'Right Clicking' on the .app file in the Applications folder and click on 'Open' fixes the issue - I believe using the 'Open' method runs the application with elevated privileges - don't quote me on this, but it did work for me!

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
5.20 Beta 1 on 10.14 Mojave; when I try to 'Save All', it asks what I want to label the group as, but then a 'Save Dialogue' does not appear. I can individually save measurements.

EDIT: I found that 'Right Clicking' on the .app file in the Applications folder and click on 'Open' fixes the issue - I believe using the 'Open' method runs the application with elevated privileges - don't quote me on this, but it did work for me!
The dialogs appear OK for me on Mojave, though they take a few seconds to appear. I open the app by double clicking the shortcut the installer adds. It was suggested in another thread that adding REW to the Accessibility list in the Privacy settings speeded up file dialogs.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 beta 2 macOS DMG

V5.20 beta 2 changes:

• Gave the signal generator a revamp and added a signal waveform preview
  • Added fade in and fade out controls to the linear and log sweep signals
  • Added AES17-2015 MD and DFD presets to the dual tone signals
  • Changed sig gen level control behaviour for dual tone signals, the level setting now reflects the rms level of the combined signal rather than the rms level of f1
  • Added a selection of multitone test signals
  • Allow RTA lengths up to 1M
  • If the...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 beta 2 macOS DMG

V5.20 beta 2 changes:

• Gave the signal generator a revamp and added a signal waveform preview
  • Added fade in and fade out controls to the linear and log sweep signals
  • Added AES17-2015 MD and DFD presets to the dual tone signals
  • Changed sig gen level control behaviour for dual tone signals, the level setting now reflects the rms level of the combined signal rather than the rms level of f1
  • Added a selection of multitone test signals
  • Allow RTA lengths up to 1M
  • If the...

Chuck Zwicky

I've noted your efficient coding in the past, but this time you've really surpassed yourself..!

Zero Bytes?

AV NIRVANA - Error
The requested attachment could not be found.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 09.30.05.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hmm. Unfortunately the download resource manager is a tad temperamental, it took multiple attempts before it claimed the file had been made available. I've had another go, hopefully it has worked.

corradovr6z

With v5.20 B1 when I run REW on my Imac for extended periods of time there's a bluetooth problem where it starts loosing connection, the bluetooth keeps turning on and off and after a couple of times it will simply disable the bluetooth altogether which causes me to need to restart the computer. This never happened with any other program, but it's happening nearly every time I run REW for an extended period.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW itself doesn't use or have any access to Bluetooth. If there are Bluetooth audio devices on your Mac their interaction would be with the OS audio drivers.

corradovr6z

I know REW doesn't use Bluetooth but the only time this has happened is when I use REW and the only thing connected thru Bluetooth is the mouse and keyboard, so I have no idea what could cause this and with previous versions this didn't happen.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
My macOS REW test system has a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, haven't seen any issues on that.

chrisc2615

My AV System  
Area
Main Amp
F5
Front Speakers
PSB
Other Equipment
Mini dsp
Hi there
MacBook is running OS Mojave. On running REW V5.20 beta 2, the screen states "Initialising" and that is that. Reinstalled it 3 times.

Have tried earlier versions with same result

Is a patch required for this OS?

Thanks
Chris

Top Bottom