REW Beta Release REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) V5.20 beta 10

macOS 10.8.3 - 10.14

1. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

REW bundles a Java 8 runtime these days, it seems that only supports 10.8.3+. I've updated the web page to show that.

dale smith likes this.
  2. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

3. Manny LaCarrubba

Manny LaCarrubba New Member

So the issue I reported occurred on a brand new MBP that I had to buy while mine was in for repair. When my one year old but otherwise identical MBP came back (with the same OS) the issue disappeared. I returned the new machine so I can not investigate it any further I'm afraid. Thanks for your speedy reply.

4. Andrew Reed

Andrew Reed New Member

I have been using REW successfully for a while now. THANK YOU!!
    After the latest build, I am now getting buggy measurements.
    System: Mac Pro, OS 10.11.6, Scarlet outboard sound card, the MiniDsp Mic, Bal Mini DSP 2x4.
    Problem: current measurements do not (a) match at all previous, unproblematic measurements, (b) nor logically reflect eq changes made within the MiniDsp application which can easily be heard during the sweep.
    Radical EQ changes result in illogical and minimal measurement changes. For example a radically large peak boost may result in a measured cut even though I can hear the boost.
    This applies to both near-field and room measurements.
    I suspect some sort of new issue regarding the usb mic and the mac.
    Have you seen issues like this before?
    Cheers
    AR

5. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

No, haven't seen anything like that Andrew. Probably best creating a thread and attaching some measurements to illustrate what you are seeing.

6. Andrew Reed

Andrew Reed New Member

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg
    Bottom (blue) is an older measurement when everything seemed ok. Middle (purple) was sampled at 48kHz. Top (brown) sampled at 96kHz. Top had a 9kHz + 12dB 0.5 Q filter applied with obviously no logical resultant boost.

7. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

Need to see the mdat file rather than images. If you change the sample rate in REW make sure you also change the rate in the mac's audio settings otherwise the OS will resample between the two rates. The recent measurements look like they might be suffering from a truncated capture due to latency in the replay chain, that can be tackled by using the acoustic timing reference and selecting the "Wait for timing reference" box on the Measure dialog.

8. Andrew Reed

Andrew Reed New Member

Sep 12 11_08 is today
    9.3.18.1 is previous (without issues)
    I will try to remeasure with the "wait for T-R" selected.

Attached Files:

9. Andrew Reed

Andrew Reed New Member

You nailed it!!! Thanks!!!!!

Attached Files:

10. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

Phew! For future reference, if you take a look at the impulse graphs you'll see there was something dramatically amiss with the dodgy measurement.

As an aside, your sweep level is set to -3 dBFS, which means the peaks reach full scale. That can be problematic for the replay chain since there is no headroom, probably better to use a lower level. Also worth keeping an eye on the distortion graph, there are some odd areas in the 3rd September measurements where distortion jumps up.

11. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

John Mulcahy updated [plain]REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)[/plain] with a new update entry:

[plain]V5.20 beta 1 macOS dmg[/plain]

Read the rest of this update entry...

12. bcodemz

bcodemz New Member

I cannot install this version of REW on my MacBook either. I do not have BetterTouchTools installed. The RAM utilization just increases non stop and it must be force quit.

EDIT: I see on the REW website that Magnet is not supported. I disabled magnet and it works now.

#37 bcodemz, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  13. Chester

Chester New Member

5.20 Beta 1 on 10.14 Mojave; when I try to 'Save All', it asks what I want to label the group as, but then a 'Save Dialogue' does not appear. I can individually save measurements.

I also tried to export a measurement as a text file and ran into the same issue. It seems (haven't extensively tested this) that when there is some sort of intermediate dialogue involved in a save, the actual save dialogue doesn't appear after selecting options on the first dialogue - this is just my observation, not sure if this is actually what is going on.

EDIT: I found that 'Right Clicking' on the .app file in the Applications folder and click on 'Open' fixes the issue - I believe using the 'Open' method runs the application with elevated privileges - don't quote me on this, but it did work for me!

#38 Chester, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  14. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

The dialogs appear OK for me on Mojave, though they take a few seconds to appear. I open the app by double clicking the shortcut the installer adds. It was suggested in another thread that adding REW to the Accessibility list in the Privacy settings speeded up file dialogs.

15. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

John Mulcahy updated [plain]REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)[/plain] with a new update entry:

[plain]REW V5.20 beta 2 macOS DMG[/plain]

16. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

[plain]REW V5.20 beta 2 macOS DMG[/plain]

17. Chuck Zwicky

I've noted your efficient coding in the past, but this time you've really surpassed yourself..!

Zero Bytes?

AV NIRVANA - Error
    The requested attachment could not be found.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 09.30.05.jpg

18. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

Chuck Zwicky likes this.
  19. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

Hmm. Unfortunately the download resource manager is a tad temperamental, it took multiple attempts before it claimed the file had been made available. I've had another go, hopefully it has worked.

Chuck Zwicky likes this.
  20. corradovr6z

corradovr6z New Member

With v5.20 B1 when I run REW on my Imac for extended periods of time there's a bluetooth problem where it starts loosing connection, the bluetooth keeps turning on and off and after a couple of times it will simply disable the bluetooth altogether which causes me to need to restart the computer. This never happened with any other program, but it's happening nearly every time I run REW for an extended period.

21. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

REW itself doesn't use or have any access to Bluetooth. If there are Bluetooth audio devices on your Mac their interaction would be with the OS audio drivers.

22. corradovr6z

corradovr6z New Member

I know REW doesn't use Bluetooth but the only time this has happened is when I use REW and the only thing connected thru Bluetooth is the mouse and keyboard, so I have no idea what could cause this and with previous versions this didn't happen.

23. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

My macOS REW test system has a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, haven't seen any issues on that.

24. corradovr6z

corradovr6z New Member

I guess I'll just chuck this to my bad luck with apple products then... :/

25. chrisc2615

chrisc2615 New Member

Hi there
    MacBook is running OS Mojave. On running REW V5.20 beta 2, the screen states "Initialising" and that is that. Reinstalled it 3 times.

Have tried earlier versions with same result

Is a patch required for this OS?

Thanks
    Chris