REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)

REW Beta Release REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) V5.20.3

You Must Login or Register to Download

sam_adams

I see that you are running Zoom. By any chance; is there a login item—System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items—for Zoom that may be grabbing the mic?

hestepare

Registered
No idea then, if you are using the RC12d file REW should appear in the list, audio input is part of the code signature permissions for that file. Perhaps something in Sam's post will help.

I see that you are running Zoom. By any chance; is there a login item—System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items—for Zoom that may be grabbing the mic?
Thank you both for replying.

Nope, nothing in Login Items – not Zoom nor anything else using the mic. Resetting the Microphone as per your AVForums post forces Zoom to ask permission to use the mic, but REW never asks for it.

In fact, I've followed your post Sam step by step until the 'Reinstall MacOS' step – which I wasn't prepared to do just yet – and everything is still exactly as before. "Only zeroes…" and no REW Mic permissions in System Preferences->Sound.

Strange!

moebius

Thank you both for replying.

Nope, nothing in Login Items – not Zoom nor anything else using the mic. Resetting the Microphone as per your AVForums post forces Zoom to ask permission to use the mic, but REW never asks for it.

In fact, I've followed your post Sam step by step until the 'Reinstall MacOS' step – which I wasn't prepared to do just yet – and everything is still exactly as before. "Only zeroes…" and no REW Mic permissions in System Preferences->Sound.

Strange!
Encountering exactly the same issue here. Other apps will trigger the permission prompt, but not REW. Very odd indeed.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I wish I knew what the issue is, seems to work for many people but not all. Running
Code:
codesign -d --entitlements :- /Applications/REW/REW.app
shows the audio input entitlement. A bit of googling turned up that the com.apple.security.device.audio-input entitlement used to be called com.apple.security.device.microphone, so maybe I need both in the entitlements plist. I'll make a test build with that and message folk affected with a link to see if it helps.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Just a suggestion; include the removal of the mic permissions in the uninstaller.
Does that not happen automatically? I was pretty sure last time I ran the uninstaller the app disappeared from the mic access list.

sam_adams

The app will disappear, but the permissions remain as any version installed later won't prompt for access.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The app will disappear, but the permissions remain as any version installed later won't prompt for access.
When I uninstall REW (on 10.15.7) permissions are removed already, running tccutil reset All roomeqwizard.launcher after uninstall returns an error saying the bundle identifier wasn't found. I don't get a prompt for access when running REW after reinstall unless I clear the mic entitlement after installing.

sam_adams

I think I have a drive image or a hard drive with a clean install of Catalina that I can put into one of my MacBook Pros to do some testing on. I'll give it a try and let you know what I find.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 RC13 macOS DMG

Changes in V5.20 RC13:

• Added an action in the EQ window filter tasks pane to create a new measurement from the current filters
  • Software equalisers (currently the Generic, TMREQ and AU N-Band EQ options) now run at the sample rate of the measurement they are applied to rather than a fixed rate
  • Changed the capacitor component model to add an option to model dielectric loss, when that option is not selected a series RLC model is used
  • When Individual cal file per input...
Read the rest of this update entry...

ELOJR

Registered
I'm new to REW so please excuse any obvious ignorance on my part. I'm purchasing a new iMac with the M1-based architecture and the latest Apple OS. Will REW run OK on it?

Thanks!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes, the current release candidate is a universal binary and previous builds would run under Rosetta 2.

John Mulcahy

REW Author

Chuck Zwicky

Registered
REW macOS V5.20 RC14 Level plotting issue

Amplitude plot discrepancy between "SPL & Phase", "All SPL," and "Distortion" modes.

I did a sweep of an audio interface at -10dBfs, with the SPL calibrated so that the plot would appear at "0" dBfs on the resulting plot.

When I switch between "SPL & Phase", "All SPL," and "Distortion" modes the graph reverts to "SPL" on the Y axis and / or the level shifts from the expected 0dB line to a -10dB plot.

I did not have this issue with any previous release. How can I ensure a consistent plot at 0dB for comparative purposes?

Chuck Zwicky

Registered
REW macOS V5.20 RC14 File menu in OSX

Cursor is invisible and names of previously saved files do not appear (in the example below it is placed after the "Q" to correct the misspelling:

Here is the folder I am saving to , the files have no text, despite the view mode set to list:

In "icon" mode the results are the same:

"USE Mac OS file Dialogs" 'fixes' this by not using these, but the REW native dialog boxes should probably be usable in any case...

"Quit" dialog is illegible:

Attachments

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW macOS V5.20 RC14 Level plotting issue

Amplitude plot discrepancy between "SPL & Phase", "All SPL," and "Distortion" modes.

I did a sweep of an audio interface at -10dBfs, with the SPL calibrated so that the plot would appear at "0" dBfs on the resulting plot.

When I switch between "SPL & Phase", "All SPL," and "Distortion" modes the graph reverts to "SPL" on the Y axis and / or the level shifts from the expected 0dB line to a -10dB plot.

I did not have this issue with any previous release. How can I ensure a consistent plot at 0dB for comparative purposes?
The Y axis of each plot can be selected independently, so you likely have different settings for them. To see the effect of your SPL calibration you should set each graph Y axis to SPL, only SPL traces are affected by SPL calibration. If you select dBFS as the graph axis (for example) you will see the dBFS level that was captured, which is not altered by changing the SPL calibration.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW macOS V5.20 RC14 File menu in OSX

Cursor is invisible and names of previously saved files do not appear (in the example below it is placed after the "Q" to correct the misspelling:
The filenames are there, but in a shade of grey that is almost the same as the background. Looks like I have a few issues to resolve with colours in dark mode since adding FlatLAF.

John Mulcahy

REW Author

Ole Siig

Registered
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva MC-700
Main Amp
2 x DIY water cooled Krell KSA 100 MKII
Additional Amp
2 x DIY water cooled Super Hiraga
Other Amp
1 x DIY class A/B 200W amp, 2 x QUAD 306
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
SONY UBP-X800
Front Speakers
70'ties modified 4 way Coral
Center Channel Speaker
JAMO
Surround Speakers
Eltax bookshelf
Surround Back Speakers
JAMO Shiloetto
Subwoofers
DIY Ripole
Other Speakers or Equipment
DIY 4 way analog phase linear active crossover
Video Display Device
LG 4K 49"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Hub (crap)
Streaming Subscriptions
Too much to mention
John, thank you for creating REW and being tempted to add the new Burst Decay mode in the Spectrogram.

Very useful as can be seen in the attached measurement of the novel bass system in a soon to be launched loudspeaker designed to reproduce frequencies from 16 - 200Hz.

Attachments

Top Bottom