REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)

REW Beta Release REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) V5.20 RC13b

You Must Login or Register to Download

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 RC12 macOS DMG universal binary

This is identical to the previous RC12 but is a universal binary with native Java runtimes for both Intel and M1 macs. Many thanks to Faustchz for testing the attempts to get this right and to EJ Technologies and their install4j for making it possible.

Changes in V5.20 RC12:
  • Added an input selection button on the RTA
  • Added a control in the SPL & Phase graph to adjust the measurement to a specific average SPL value over a...
Read the rest of this update entry...

nugliar

Registered
Using Catalina 10.15.7.
REW is not in the microphone permission list. I didn't find a way to fix this.

telegrapher

Registered
My AV System  
Main Amp
Hypex
Front Speakers
Telegrapher
Center Channel Speaker
Telegrapher
Front Wide Speakers
Telegrapher
Surround Speakers
Telegrapher
Surround Back Speakers
Telegrapher
Front Height Speakers
Telegrapher
Rear Height Speakers
Telegrapher
Subwoofers
Telegrapher
I am also using Big Sur 11.2.3 and mic is not on the permission list. I have upgraded from an earlier version of 5.20.
When do you think fix may be available? Or is there a chance that I can find the previous 5.20 versions?

I have also downloaded 5.19 which seems crashing so I am left without REW :)
I would appreciate a lot if somebody helps...

:)

sam_adams

Using Catalina 10.15.7.
REW is not in the microphone permission list. I didn't find a way to fix this.
I am also using Big Sur 11.2.3 and mic is not on the permission list. I have upgraded from an earlier version of 5.20.
When do you think fix may be available? Or is there a chance that I can find the previous 5.20 versions?

I have also downloaded 5.19 which seems crashing so I am left without REW :)
I would appreciate a lot if somebody helps...
See my post over here on a possible solution to this issue.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I wouldn't do too much at the moment until I resolve whether I just need to properly configure the entitlements for the app to use audio input.

telegrapher

Registered
My AV System  
Main Amp
Hypex
Front Speakers
Telegrapher
Center Channel Speaker
Telegrapher
Front Wide Speakers
Telegrapher
Surround Speakers
Telegrapher
Surround Back Speakers
Telegrapher
Front Height Speakers
Telegrapher
Rear Height Speakers
Telegrapher
Subwoofers
Telegrapher
Thank you @sam_adams , I have tried but does not work...

telegrapher

Registered
My AV System  
Main Amp
Hypex
Front Speakers
Telegrapher
Center Channel Speaker
Telegrapher
Front Wide Speakers
Telegrapher
Surround Speakers
Telegrapher
Surround Back Speakers
Telegrapher
Front Height Speakers
Telegrapher
Rear Height Speakers
Telegrapher
Subwoofers
Telegrapher
Thank you @John Mulcahy for your reply. I think you are the writer of REW, I am happy to find the chance to thank you personly for the great software...

I hope you can resolve this issue quickly. As a mac (Big Sur) user, now there is no working version of REW including 5.19 and 5.20. So people will like me won't be able to use REW until the problem is solved... (5.19 also crashes repeatedly)

Btw, I am efficiently using REW on my daily work, and really don't know what to do now....

Is there a way to find the previous versions of 5.20? I would be very happy to install it back...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 RC12 macOS DMG

This is identical to the previous RC12 but fixes the entitlements for mic access. It is a universal binary with native Java runtimes for both Intel and M1 macs.

Changes in V5.20 RC12:
  • Added an input selection button on the RTA
  • Added a control in the SPL & Phase graph to adjust the measurement to a specific average SPL value over a defined frequency span
  • Added a control in the All SPL graph to adjust the currently selected SPL measurements to a specific average SPL...
Read the rest of this update entry...

CAAudiophile

Staff member
Dear John, About REW:
why when I starts REW on my computer I don't get the notification to update to the new version??
And even when select "Check for upgrade now" I get the message "REW is up to date", even though I get a new email with a new install is ready.

Please help.

Thanks.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I changed from beta versions to release candidates when I thought I was on the verge of releasing V5.20 but that turned out to be optimistic. The update check only looks for beta versions or final releases. The latest builds are on the Downloads page here.

hestepare

Registered
I don't seem to be asked to give REW 5.20 RC12d (latest per today) permission to use the microphone. I tried running the tccutil command for resetting permissions but that didn't help. I reverted to 5.19 for my measurements and that worked fine.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There shouldn't need to be an access request now as the permission to use the mic is part of the code signature. The access request from older builds was due to the installer's use of a legacy mode for handling permissions.

sam_adams

RC12d on 11.4 Intel will ask to use the Mic the very first time you do a measurement. Any subsequent use of the mic is, of course, not prompted for as the permissions are already set.

hestepare

Registered
I see!

Then my issue is more confusing as the mic works fine according to MacOS but REW receives “only zeroes”. That’s why I reverted to 5.19 for my measurements.

The reason I thought permissions were involved was that I got the permissions error message that suggested I tick the box next to REW in privacy.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I see!

Then my issue is more confusing as the mic works fine according to MacOS but REW receives “only zeroes”. That’s why I reverted to 5.19 for my measurements.

The reason I thought permissions were involved was that I got the permissions error message that suggested I tick the box next to REW in privacy.
You may need to untick the mic permission box, accept the prompt to quit REW, then tick the box again.

hestepare

Registered
Thanks

REW never shows up in the permission box in the first place, for some reason, unless 5.19 is installed. I put 5.19 in the trash, started up 5.20 RC12b, got the question "UMIK-1 detected, use for measurement?", clicked "yes".

Verified that MacOS detects the UMIK:

Went to RTA to see if it could pick up anything, but it doesn't:

Here's the "security and privacy" window, showing no REW:

Measuring worked with 5.19, so the mic should be ok, I guess.

sam_adams

What input source is selected in Audio MIDI Setup.app (/Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app)?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW never shows up in the permission box in the first place, for some reason, unless 5.19 is installed. I put 5.19 in the trash, started up 5.20 RC12b
Where you typed RC12b did you mean RC12d? Needs to be RC12d. The permissions are probably only picked up during installation, installing 5.19 with the legacy permissions method and RC12d with the current permissions method may confuse macOS. Try uninstalling 12d using the REW uninstaller in the Application/REW folder then reinstall it.

hestepare

Registered
Where you typed RC12b did you mean RC12d? Needs to be RC12d. The permissions are probably only picked up during installation, installing 5.19 with the legacy permissions method and RC12d with the current permissions method may confuse macOS. Try uninstalling 12d using the REW uninstaller in the Application/REW folder then reinstall it.
Yes, sorry, I meant 12d.

I'll uninstall both and reinstall 5.20!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No idea then, if you are using the RC12d file REW should appear in the list, audio input is part of the code signature permissions for that file. Perhaps something in Sam's post will help.

Top Bottom