REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE)

REW Beta Release REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) V5.20 beta 24

You Must Login or Register to Download

TheNidz

My AV System  
Main Amp
Accuphase E-212
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Aqua La Voce S2 DAC
Front Speakers
Spendor A2
Just tried REW today for the first time, using this latest build. Managed to get a working set of measurements (UMIK-1) and resulting profiles defined. Didn't make any adjustments to the REW-suggested filtering (on account of I don't know what I'm doing yet) and it immediately reduced a boominess in the low frequencies. Still have a LOT to learn, but really impressed with the software; the fact that a REQ newb could get something working in a few hours says something about the user-friendliness of the software. Thank you.

Arve

The installer freezes for me and needs to be force-quit (OS X 10.13.4). And by freezes: It's chugging 100% CPU and seemingly accessing disk like no other

Edit: However, this does only happen if I run the installer from the same drive (internal) as where I'm installing REW. If I copy it to an external USB drive first, the installer works as intended

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Installs normally for me from the same drive on 10.13.4, running it from the desktop. Are you OK for disk space?

Arve

Yup, am OK for disk space (~200 GB free), no other JRE or JDK installed on the system. This happens while doubleclicking from finder - haven't tried any other method. Also note that this does not happen for the beta 8 installer.

Either way, I sampled the log, and both the footprint (2.5 GB) and call graph for the beta 9 installer looks fairly insane. I sampled the process for a second, and the top calls are:

7617 _NSAccessibilityEntryPointValueForAttribute.llvm.BD8B677 (in AppKit) + 182 [0x7fff438d02d7]
7611 NSAccessibilityPerformEntryPointObject.llvm.BD8B677 (in AppKit) + 16 [0x7fff438d010b]
7571 NSAccessibilityGetObjectForAttributeUsingLegacyAPI (in AppKit) + 371 [0x7fff4331e273]
6898 -[JavaComponentAccessibility accessibilityAttributeNames] (in libawt_lwawt.dylib) + 182 [0x1180d1a37]
4213 NSAccessibilityPerformEntryPointBOOL.llvm.BD8B677 (in AppKit) + 16 [0x7fff438d066d]
3993 _NSAccessibilityEntryPointIsAttributeSupported.llvm.BD8B677 (in AppKit) + 101 [0x7fff438d0822]
3879 ___NSAccessibilityEntryPointIsAttributeSupported_block_invoke.llvm.BD8B677 (in AppKit) + 322 [0x7fff438d3cbe]
3811 ValueOfAttributeWithDefault.llvm.3D055F6B (in AppKit) + 56 [0x7fff43674f3d]
3545 JavaAccessibilityAttributeValue (in libawt_lwawt.dylib) + 135 [0x1180cf595]
3503 JavaAccessibilityAttributeValue (in libawt_lwawt.dylib) + 30 [0x1180cf52c]
551 JavaAccessibilityAttributeValue (in libawt_lwawt.dylib) + 107 [0x1180cf579]
526 +[NSString stringWithFormat:] (in Foundation) + 169 [0x7fff47e09b31]
509 -[AWTView accessibilityAttributeValue:] (in libawt_lwawt.dylib) + 242 [0x1180a5ef2]
334 -[AWTView accessibilityAttributeNames] (in libawt_lwawt.dylib) + 68 [0x1180a5f3f]
290 _CFStringCreateWithFormatAndArgumentsAux2 (in CoreFoundation) + 116 [0x7fff45cb9034]
274 -[NSArray arrayByAddingObject:] (in CoreFoundation) + 283 [0x7fff45d2aeeb]

I dunno if this is a bug in the JRE used in the installer or in AppKit, but the result is an application that tends up using gigabytes of memory and 100% CPU

Arve

Also of note: The volume I'm running this from when it goes south is an APFS-formatted volume, not HFS+, and the volume is OK

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Beta 9 bundles the latest JRE (8u162), but there have been a few hundred downloads of that installer and haven't seen any other issues mentioned. Concerning though.

Arve

A little more digging: There is some freak interaction between BetterTouchTool and the installer - if I temporarily disable BTT during installation, nothing bad happens.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Good to know. If you can send me a log of some sort of it going wrong I'll let the installer provider know, maybe they can work around it.

Roger Dressler

Have been using REW fine on my 2011 Macbook Pro (Sierra 10.12.6), both on the Mac side and also with Win 8.1 via Parallels. In both cases I use an old M-Audio MobilePre USB interface. So why start looking for trouble?

Just wanted to try bypassing the MobilePre unit and going with a Firewire-to-HDMI output, so I obtained such an adapter cable from AmazonBasics.

I installed REW 5.18 on the MAC, and the About screen reports JRE 1.8.0_102 is running.

My question is -- will this setup work for this MAC via this cable? Is there something special to be done in Preferences to make it work?

Would I have better luck trying it on the Windows side? Or is this Firewire adapter useless in this quest regardless of OS -- I should stick with the USB interface?

If this Mac setup stuff is all written up somewhere -- please point me. I could not find it.

--Roger

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you want to access the individual audio channels on an HDMI interface the options are using an ASIO driver on Windows (or ASIO4All to synthesise an ASIO driver) or using MacOS. The setup for multichannel access on MacOS is discussed in the help. In both cases best using the latest beta version from the downloads section.

Timothy Ivie

My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
tim.ivie@gmail.com
Main Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Front Speakers
Kef 104/2
Center Channel Speaker
None
Surround Speakers
None
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
36"
Hi John,

I updated today to 5.19 beta from 5.18. Found something odd in comparing graphs from previous version. In current Beta I applied 1/6 smoothing to measurements taken last month. The curve is much flatter. See the attached jpgs. To the best of my knowledge I did nothing different in capturing the graphs. Be interested on your comments or suggestions. All the best

Attachments

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Those images have graphs with dramatically different SPL scales, two have a span of 60 dB and the other two have a span of about 400 dB (which makes pretty much anything look flat). With such different scales it isn't easy to visually compare them. Probably easiest if you post an mdat file of your measurements, labelling them to distinguish any differences you are seeing.

Timothy Ivie

My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
tim.ivie@gmail.com
Main Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1000
Front Speakers
Kef 104/2
Center Channel Speaker
None
Surround Speakers
None
Surround Back Speakers
None
Front Height Speakers
36"
Thanks for the pointing that out. Assume changing spl scaling is in the documentation, am sure it must be.

Obviously, I am new REW and this subject matter. Definitely need to spend more time reading the documentation before posting.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Simplest is to use the Limits button at the top right of the graph, easy to define a specific span that way. There are also zoom in/out buttons at the top of the SPL axis that appear when the mouse is within the graph limits. Graphs posted on the forum will usually have a 60 dB SPL span, having a consistent range makes it straightforward to visually compare different measurements.

sushfish

Hi, brand new here, just trying out REW for the first time. In the RTA window I cannot get the "Reset Averaging" button to have any effect. The only way I can clear the window and start with fresh averaging is to quit REW and reopen the application, then the RTA window opens up clean. Any suggestions? Thank you!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

V5.19 beta 10 macOS DMG

Changes in V5.19 beta 10:

• 24-bit data is now supported where the JVM makes it available (currently macOS and probably Linux)
  • Added 176.4, 352.8 and 384 kHz to the sample rates allowed for ASIO
  • Allow generator to continue running if ASIO output selection is changed - audio will be interrupted briefly, however
  • Added a dBc axis option for the RTA (dB relative to carrier, mainly used to present data relative to the level of the fundamental tone in the signal)
  • Only stop the...
Read the rest of this update entry...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) with a new update entry:

V5.19 beta 11 macOS DMG

V5.19 beta 11 changes:
  • Added Leq traces for the last minute and the last 10 minutes to the SPL logger
  • Added * in front of comment lines in the impulse response text export file and a * Data start comment immediately before the data
  • Trim trailing zeroes when exporting impulse response as text with window applied, but note that the data will be padded with zeroes so the length is a binary power if required
  • Show an error message if the file selected for data import does not...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

V5.19 beta 12 macOS DMG

Small changes in 5.19 beta 12, all being well the last before the 5.19 release.

• Improved rendering of text on spectrogram graph images when spectrogram floor is filled
  • Small refinement to the IR start detection code
  • Changed delay figure with acoustic timing reference back to using IR start time for limited bandwidth measurements (e.g. subwoofers), retained use of the Estimate IR Delay process otherwise
  • Bug fix: Added checks to try and prevent occasional exception when...

Manny LaCarrubba

I'm not sure if this is the right placer to report a bug, but here goes:
I'm using REW 5.19 beta 12 and have had no issues on my late 2017 MacBook Pro running 10.12.6. Had to upgrade to latest Mac OS 10.13.6. REW will now not accept input from either my Behringer UMC404HD or Focusrite Scarlett 18i. I can set the input device, but the pulldown menu where I would normally set the input channel is grayed out as are the I/O control check boxes and level settings. The only options to me under the "Input" pulldown are "Default Input" and "MICROPHONE". REW will only see the input from the built in mic. If I set the system preferences to the USB interface and then set REW to "Default Device" I get the same behavior, so no help there.

Any insights in how to work around this would be greatly appreciated as Apple makes it all but impossible to roll back the OS.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm not aware of any inherent issue with 10.13.6, that is what I run on my test machine. Is there any software associated with your soundcards that might need reinstallation? Can you use the soundcards in other software? From a quick google some folk do seem to have problems with the UMC on OS X. The Focusrite looks like it should work, but may require an update to Focusrite control.

As an aside, 5.19 has been released, which supercedes the beta, you will find it at www.roomeqwizard.com

dale smith

My AV System  
Main Amp
Unico Unison Primo
Marantz CD63 KI
Front Speakers
ProAc Studio 110
Hi. Just installed REW 5.19 for OSX from your downloads section. ( 10.7 to 10.14 ). installs fine, but unexpected quit error when trying to run on 10.7.5 mac mini.

Last edited:

dale smith

My AV System  
Main Amp
Unico Unison Primo
Marantz CD63 KI
Front Speakers
ProAc Studio 110
Following on from previous post, I went to version history and downloaded V5.1 Installed and runs fine so far. Not used it to measure room yet though!

Top Bottom