REW Linux installer

REW Beta Release REW Linux installer V5.20.2

You Must Login or Register to Download

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is it that difficult to update REW to java 11 to see if it makes a difference?
Yes. Some things will break with a newer runtime, but you can edit the installation script to accept newer runtimes, apparently. Pavel ran the generator and RTA successfully on Java 14 for a while.

CommanderLake

Registered
I got it to work with jre 15 and the performance is better but can only do 7.1 output at 48KHz smoothly which is fine for my purpose I suppose, I can get a stereo output up to 192KHz.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW Linux installer (requires Java 8) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20RC9 Linux installer

Changes in V5.20 RC9:

A collection of small bug fixes with a couple of minor tweaks.

• Use the last req file notes as the default entry when saving a req file
  • Allow saved filenames to include commas
  • Speed up saving mdat files to network storage
  • Changed "multi-channel capture" to "multi-input capture" to avoid confusion
  • Bug fix: If the minimum phase impulse is visible on the Impulse graph when adjusting t=0 it will move with the time axis
  • Bug fix: The response...
Read the rest of this update entry...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW Linux installer (requires Java 8) with a new update entry:

REW V5.20 RC10 Linux installer

Changes in V5.20 RC10:

This build adds an option on the Measure dialog to make a series of SPL measurements by seting the total number required in the Measurements count. A typical use would be when measuring polar responses. The Measure dialog delay is applied before each measurement, to provide time to adjust the speaker turntable, and there is an option to pause the sequence. Measurement names are updated for each measurement according to the Measure dialog settings, for polar...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 RC11 Linux installer

Changes in V5.20 RC11:
  • Limit the impedance graph Q overlay value to 999 and DF value to 200 %
  • Bug fix: Impedance cal file values were written with insufficient precision (unintended side effect of change to allow unit selection for exports)
  • Bug fix: Impedance reference cal measurement was limited to 2 Hz even if the axis limit was lower
  • Bug fix: Trying to open mdat files directly from web pages with Firefox could fail with a file not found message

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 RC12 Linux installer

Changes in V5.20 RC12:
  • Added an input selection button on the RTA
  • Added a control in the SPL & Phase graph to adjust the measurement to a specific average SPL value over a defined frequency span
  • Added a control in the All SPL graph to adjust the currently selected SPL measurements to a specific average SPL value over a defined frequency span
  • Added an option on the export all measurements as text dialog to use one file or individual files
  • Added an action in the EQ...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

REW V5.20 RC13 Linux installer

Changes in V5.20 RC13:

Windows and Linux installers now include a bundled JRE (Azul Zulu Java 8 without Java FX) which will be installed for REW's private use if the system does not already have a suitable Java 8 runtime

• Added an action in the EQ window filter tasks pane to create a new measurement from the current filters
  • Software equalisers (currently the Generic, TMREQ and AU N-Band EQ options) now run at the sample rate of the measurement they are applied to rather...

John Mulcahy

REW Author

John Mulcahy

REW Author

jschwender

My AV System  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
Philipd dss940

Attachments

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's not new, the linear impedance axis is limited to 1 k otherwise the slider becomes very difficult to use. Set the impedance axis to log in the graph controls.

Last edited:

jschwender

My AV System  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Philipd dss940
Year, log scale does it, thanks!

Dilbert

Registered
My AV System  
Audio Note AN-E/Spe and JMR
Video Display Device
BenQ projector
Screen
106inch
Streaming Equipment
laptop
When I tried to install either V5.19 or V5.20 RC15, I got the following error messages. I am wondering if anyone has encounter the issue. Is it because of the wrong java version? My environment is Debian 10 (Buster) on an Acer Aspire ZC-105 computer.

java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
exe4j.moduleName=/home/ken/Downloads/REW_linux_5_20_RC15.sh
sun.boot.library.path=/usr/java/jre1.8.0_301/lib/amd64
java.vm.version=25.301-b09

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Why do you call them error messages? What are you doing to install REW?

Dilbert

Registered
My AV System  
Video Display Device
BenQ projector
Screen
106inch
Streaming Equipment
laptop
Why do you call them error messages? What are you doing to install REW?
I tried to install as root by issuing: . ./REW_linux_5_20_RC15.sh

The error message is this:

Starting Installer ...
No protocol specified
An error occurred:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
Error log: /tmp/install4jError5333317115316703.log
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.createGE(GraphicsEnvironment.java:103)
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:82)
at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(XToolkit.java:132)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:264)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:860)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:855)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:854)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getEventQueue(Toolkit.java:1736)
at java.awt.EventQueue.isDispatchThread(EventQueue.java:1071)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.GUIHelper.invokeOnEDT(GUIHelper.java:432)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.headless.AbstractHeadlessScreenExecutor.init(AbstractHeadlessScreenExecutor.java:86)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.headless.ConsoleScreenExecutor.<init>(ConsoleScreenExecutor.java:25)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.frontend.headless.InstallerConsoleScreenExecutor.<init>(InstallerConsoleScreenExecutor.java:6)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.getScreenExecutor(Installer.java:84)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.runInProcess(Installer.java:60)
at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Installer.java:46)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:84)
at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.UnixLauncher.start(UnixLauncher.java:69)
at install4j.Installer2899577227.main(Unknown Source)

But on my windows tower PC, the REW installed fine and runs well. The windows tower PC is in a different room, which makes it very difficult to do measurements in the dedicated AV room.

Thanks for your help

jschwender

My AV System  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Philipd dss940
I could install rew even in a remote terminal via ssh session, where no DISPLAY variable is set. It installs completely with text console dialogs.

Dilbert

Registered
My AV System  
Video Display Device
BenQ projector
Screen
106inch
Streaming Equipment
laptop
Originally I installed the correct java from Oracle and had the same error messages. I then completely removed the java from Debian and was hoping the java included in the V5.20 RC15 installer would work, but I ended up with the same error message.

I tried unset $DISPLAY and same error message. I tried to run the installer in two different terminal programs - X11 terminal and wayland. Both ended up with the same error message.

here's the the log file:

Attachments

Dilbert

Registered
My AV System  
Video Display Device
BenQ projector
Screen
106inch
Streaming Equipment
laptop
I finally got the REW installed on Debian Buster. I connected to Debian from a Windows PC using Putty and the installer ran fine without any issue.

jschwender

My AV System  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Philipd dss940
The issue could possibly be caused if your installation has no X11 Server at all running. Nowadays Debian and others utilize Wayland as default display server, which results in errors connecting to it from outside a user session – what is exactly the case if you install in a root shell that is entered by login from a normal user session in a terminal.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
John Mulcahy updated REW Linux installer with a new update entry:

REW V5.20.1 Linux installer

This is the official release of V5.20, the version number is 5.20.1 to distinguish it from the release candidates. It will only be available here for the next week or so, then I will also add it to the REW website and enable the version detection to report it as available on REW startup. It has taken a tad longer than I expected to release 5.20 (more than 2 years longer!) but on the plus side it does have a lot of new features. :)

There are a few changes from V5.20 RC15:

• There is...

Top Bottom