Front Speakers
SVS
Center Channel Speaker
SVS
Surround Speakers
Cerwin Vega
Subwoofers
SVS
I am assuming REW can only output PCM. Is that correct? I am assuming that is why I can't get REW with work with an optical output unless I force it to stereo output PCM. You can't force REW to output in Bitstream can you? My receiver is an older receiver and only has optical inputs or analogue inputs.

REW actually doesn't even recognize my optical out from my macbook pro. The macbook pro outputs toslink via a mini toslink cable from the headphone jack. The only way I can get anything to work is to output PCM via HDMI to my tv which then has passthrough of that signal through an optical output to my receiver. I then set my crossover in my receiver to 130 Hz. I select L plus R output in REW which then puts everything under 130 Hz to my subwoofer. Is this an ok way to do it, and is there any possible way to send 6 channels like I originally wanted to. I thought about seeing if I could find a converter that would convert 5.1 channel PCM back to bitstream to send through my optical cable to my receiver. I was worried a converter might introduce more delay though. I could also get a converter to convert the 6 channels of PCM to analogue that would go into my receiver.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW doesn't have a surround encoder, those are licensed software components with associated fees. Your receiver doesn't support multichannel PCM over HDMI?

steve1616

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Sunfire
Main Amp
Sunfire
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
sony
Front Speakers
SVS
Center Channel Speaker
SVS
Surround Speakers
Cerwin Vega
Subwoofers
SVS
My receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs. It is a Sunfire TGR-3. My speakers are low impedance (2 ohms) also so I don't think a normal receiver would work with them. Would it cause any issues to run PCM from the HDMI on my Macbook into a DAC which could output analogue? My receiver does have 7.1 channel analogue inputs.

Top Bottom