REW - hoursecurves and the Minidsp

Thomas Larsen

Registered
Hi
have this idea to use the 4 presets on the Minidsp 2x4 HD (have the remote) and use different configs and house curves. P1 should be a flat one and then I will use REW to calculate the house curve - from 100 hz to 30 hz and then rise 3.5, 4.5 and 5.5 - will give me around 6, 8, 10 db at 30 hz more or less.
But here is the thing - should I set REW to calculate target level for each or should I kind of find a shared target for them all. The flat one will most likely have higher db and will be the one used for AV room eq. I know that change of this will alter the sound and will most likely require me to either lower or raise the channel level of the sub - but if I could have it like one for flat eq - and then other channel level for the other 3 would be great. Could also be that I need to find one housecurve and only use that and skip the flat one (use that for music only).

Anyone else here that uses the 4 presets like this ?

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
I do it a little different. I sometimes listen to music with Yamaha Volume turned ON (which adjusts the bass and treble according to the volume level) and sometimes with it OFF. I don't want a house curve when YV is ON and vice-versa. So I use REW to get a flat response, import it to each of the miniDSP 2x4 HD configs, then add a LOW_SHELF filter to the configs where I want a curve. When I listen with YV turned ON, I select the flat config, otherwise I select the LOW_SHELF config.

I use config 4 for BEQ when I watch movies.

This works very well for me, but I don't know if it meets your needs.

miniDSP-REW-Flat.png miniDSP-LOW_SHELF-filter.png

Thomas Larsen

Registered
Hi
thank you so much for bringing me in that direction - this was exactly what I was after. Only thing now - it does not stop at 30 hz but contrinues upwards - but now it's at the same level. Config 1 is flat and then LS filter at 30 hz Q 0.7 and then 4 db, 6 db and 8 db (maybe too much - will see).
Btw when you make the eq - what do you use for meassurement - java or some of the ASIO variants - asio4all / flexasio. I correct from 18 hz to 105 and then I dare to boost 9 db on single ones and 5 db overall. Flatness = 3 db and smoothing was 1_24. Before that I used var.smoothing but then it used all 10 slots.
Here is how it looks now
minidsp-LS-filter.png

I have a nasty dip at 51 hz and have it reduced.
Not sure why it rises from 100 hz and up. The initial raw meassurement was done with minidsp / usb as source and this now was done with flexasio (also done another day so mic could be a little diff. placed). Anyway you get picture.

Thx for the help !
:T

(edit: wonder if the rise / drop is because I forgot to change the 80 hz cross-over in the receiver ? Not sure how this works - flexasio vs receiver vs windows and REW. Out 4 is the LFE but on my Pioneer I only have crossover not a LPF setting like Denon at 120 hz or something like that !)

Last edited:

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Hi
thank you so much for bringing me in that direction - this was exactly what I was after.
Hi Thomas,
I'm not a REW or miniDSP expert, so I usually refrain from giving advice, but you seemed to be looking for something similar to what I was doing. I'm glad I could help in this case.
Only thing now - it does not stop at 30 hz but contrinues upwards - but now it's at the same level. Config 1 is flat and then LS filter at 30 hz Q 0.7 and then 4 db, 6 db and 8 db (maybe too much - will see).
Here's an explanation of the miniDSP shelf filters, which states that the target frequency is the mid point of the filter, so in your case <30hz would continue to rise.
https://www.minidsp.com/forum/software-support/11040-house-curve-simple-filter#19444
Btw when you make the eq - what do you use for meassurement - java or some of the ASIO variants - asio4all / flexasio.
I use asio4all.
I correct from 18 hz to 105 and then I dare to boost 9 db on single ones and 5 db overall. Flatness = 3 db and smoothing was 1_24. Before that I used var.smoothing but then it used all 10 slots.
My correction range is 18 to 90. I don't change the REW filters afterwards, I simply export/import them into miniDSP and add low shelf filters to 1 or 2 configs to find the settings I like. I do increase the sub gain to my liking, either in my AVR or on the subs.
Here is how it looks now
View attachment 41425
I have a nasty dip at 51 hz and have it reduced.
That looks really good! I don't think you'd be able to hear that narrow dip.
Not sure why it rises from 100 hz and up. The initial raw meassurement was done with minidsp / usb as source and this now was done with flexasio (also done another day so mic could be a little diff. placed). Anyway you get picture.

Thx for the help !
:T

(edit: wonder if the rise / drop is because I forgot to change the 80 hz cross-over in the receiver ? Not sure how this works - flexasio vs receiver vs windows and REW. Out 4 is the LFE but on my Pioneer I only have crossover not a LPF setting like Denon at 120 hz or something like that !)
Your graph shows the drop off starting at 80hz, which would match your crossover setting, and tapering off from there. I have a Yamaha, which doesn't have a LPF setting either.

Your graph looks good, how does it sound?
Jack

Top Bottom