QSC or Crest Audio

Discussion in 'AV Receivers / Processors / Amps' started by Tony V., Sep 14, 2018.

1. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
    Staff Member

Crest audio CC2800 or QSC MX 1500 for my subwoofer amp?

So a couple months ago I posted that I was going to reuse a EV sub enclosure that I got from an abandoned theater and that project is still on going just delayed for a bit.
    I have two amps noted above and reading the reviews the QSC is a beast of an amp but I can't find a lot on the Crest audio.
    Thoughts?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff Member

3. JBrax

JBrax Senior AV Addict
    VIP Supporter

QSC makes quality amps. Have you given Crown any consideration? That’s what I have on my JBL 515XT loudspeaker that I use on the deck. It can push that thing to incredibly loud and clear db’s.

4. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, Crown is good, I used them at our church for years but I'm not going to buy another amp as I already have the above in my possession so its going to have to be between them only as options. The QSC has a noisy fan so if I used it I would have to modify the fan to a quieter one.
    I also have another Samson servo 600 but I may use that for something else and it's not enough juice for a sub anyhow.

5. JBrax

JBrax Senior AV Addict
    VIP Supporter

Sorry, I didn’t realize you had the two in possession. I’d personally use the QSC and mod to a quieter fan.

6. Tony V.

Tony V. Moderator
    Staff Member

No worries, hope things are going will with you and the family

7. Negatron

Negatron Senior Member
    VIP Supporter

I had a couple of Crest amps in my old setup for a while, and they were ok. They had noisy fans, but sounded decent. I had a QSC for a while, and I likedit too, but my favorites werethe Yamaha P2500s, and p7000s. They were dead quiet, and rocked my setup!

8. ddude003

ddude003 Active Member

Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
    After a brief look at the specs of both amps I would go with the QSC... If you have both amps in hand, why not just A/B them and decide which sounds better to you...

9. Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes Staff Writer
    Staff Member

I agree with this. I’d AB them and decide. They are fairly similar.

Crest certainly has some great amps, but the fact that they are owned by Peavey and that some amps are the same has been an unforgivable offense for me. Crest is forever banished from my house!

10. Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes Staff Writer
    Staff Member

Admittedly I maybe should amend this by mentioning that the Crest is about twice the power of th QSC. In practice I don’t think you will notice a difference. The Crest would probably need a dedicated 20a circuit to hit its rated output, and even then you are talking about 3dB, assuming no power compression from the sub.

I say choose the one you can more easily live with, but if it’s the crest, all the better, it’s more powerful.