Q

scottatah

Registered
Hi all,

Fairly new to this. Bought a UMIC-1 recently. My computer is connected to my AVR (UMC-200) via HDMI and everything appears to be working correctly with taking measurements. My challenge is know what actually matters or doesn't matter. I've got a 5.1 setup, though I've been focusing on the sub so far. Below is two measurements of the sub using 1/6th smoothing.
  • Red is the flat settings
  • Blue is REW's recommended EQ setting
SW red flat - blue REW.jpg

No matter what I've tried so far, I'm unable to get around the dip at 55Hz. My particular AVR allows for 3 PEQ settings for the sub and suggested using the following:
  • 43.16Hz -5.5 dB 6.875 Q
  • 68.28Hz -11.75dB 10.125 Q
  • 161.91Hz -6.25dB 4.5 Q
Granted I can't figure out a way around the dip at 55Hz, how do I determine where efforts are best laid? Is fixing the small rise at 161.91Hz more important than the one around 94Hz?

Despite reading the REW 101 Getting Started with REW, I'm very much new to this. So if there are general comments or other reading you'd highly recommend, please point me in the direction.

Thanks,
Scott

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It looks pretty decent before changing anything with that smoothing, but better to show an unsmoothed plot for subwoofer measurements, and/or post the .mdat file for the measurement.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
If you have other placement options, try them and take measurements, to see if you can get a better response curve.

Since your receiver has PEQ for the sub, you might try adjusting it in real time using REW’s pink noise feature. That filter at 161 Hz is wasted, as it’s above the sub’s operating range.

The 55 Hz dip doesn’t appear to be a null, so you might be able to boost it a little (assuming you don’t end up going with a different position for the sub).

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom