Pink noise not playing v5.19

b4s3k

Registered
I have been using REW EQ for a while, and after building my new aborbers I was eager to get started and make new measurements.

Fired up REW EQ, but when I wanted to take a new measure the pink noise was not playing back. When I go into preferences to do a calibration of the soundcard.. no pink noise. First I thought something was wrong with my audio setup, but iTunes, Youtube or Media player all work fine.

Uninstalled REQ EQ, downloaded v5.19 (tried multiple times: with Java runtime, without) for Windows 10 x64, and reinstalled - but no luck. I am using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (first gen) with a Beringer ECM8000 connected via XLR, and this setup worked fine in the past.

When I change to the driver to ASIO I do hear pink noise, but only for a couple of seconds, and then it stops with the message: Soundcard did not provide any data, please check connection (when doing a soundcard calibration in preferences, so I guess that makes sense - as I do not have the loop back cable inserted). When trying to do a measurement with the ASIO drivers I immediately get the message: SPL meter audio input not available.

Any ideas?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
For ASIO make sure the buffer size is large enough, larger buffers work better. For Java drivers can check the obvious like the volume settings to make sure they haven't ended up set to 0 in REW's soundcard preferences. If you post an image of the soundcard preferences can see if anything else looks odd.

b4s3k

Registered
Thanks for your reply John. I added the settings for both Java and Asio here, allthough I have to say that so far I have always used Java drivers. Sweep levels are set to the default of -12db. I was initially not even looking to calibrate my soundcard, as I have done this already months ago. I have been using that same cal file ever since.

Note that the sample rate here is the same in REW EQ and my Windows sound settings for this device (not sure if it matters, just FYI).

Java:

REW Java.jpg

ASIO:

REW ASIO.jpg

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Nothing looks out of place there, other than you haven't selected an input for ASIO which you would need to do to measure. For the Java drivers it is best to select the output and input from the list offered rather than leave them as default, that allows REW to read the volume settings.

b4s3k

Registered
The miracle of Windows.. plug the Focusrite into a different USB port, and waddayaknow.. pink noise is back!

Not sure why through. Perhaps crappy Focusrite drivers. Anyway, its fixed. Regardless, thanks for taking a look.

Top Bottom