Phase-locked loop subwoofers

Silverprout

Registered
Hello,
Can anyone explain why manufacturers do not use more phase-locked loop circuits principle in order to have a coherent global phase matching ?
Is there any commercial stuff that use this design ?

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
Hello, Silverprout. Would this audibly improve subwoofer performance?

Silverprout

Registered
Hello,
Perhaps, i'm curious ! (and sorry for my english)
the impedance coupling to the room air volume (shape, size and surfaces) charateristics is barely everything.
i've wasted a lot of time by performing equalizaton experiementations of on a randomly placed subwoofer, a bad impedance coupling will transform any equalization into unefectively wasted energy.

You are not constrained to read the lines surrounded by ***
***if there are membrane to the air relative impedances mismatches, the mechanical energy transmission to the air will not occur and the loudspeaker will move and consume the energy for nothing at all, except agravating the room resonances and raising dramaticaly the loudspeaker driver THD***

I'm curious to know if manufacturers take account of energy efficiency (we are in 2017, and we try to save the humanity by reducing its energy impact on its envionement) by limiting power consuming useless frequencies that are uncoupled to the room (and therefore inaudible) by identifying them and kill them in the soup of reverberations.

Or that the global commercial and technical strategy is only based on the customer satisfaction, and this mainstream customer love to see his subwoofer membrane moving hard and fast for nothing at all, wasting energy for nothing in order to hear nothing accurate?

Tony V.

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX RZ920
Main Amp
Samson Servo 600
Additional Amp
QSC MX1500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic 220
Front Speakers
EV Sentry 500
Center Channel Speaker
EV Sentry 500
Surround Speakers
Mission 762
Surround Back Speakers
Mission 762
Subwoofers
SVS PB13u
Video Display Device
Panasonic AE 8000
Remote Control
Logitech 1100
Streaming Subscriptions
Denon DT 625 CD/Tape unit, Nintendo WiiU, and more
This goes into an area I cant really be helpful on but the deficiency of the amplification being most manufacturers are using a digital amp now may not be as relevant as it was in years past. Its proven already that a digital amp (Class D) are very capable.

Silverprout

Registered
This goes into an area I cant really be helpful on but the deficiency of the amplification being most manufacturers are using a digital amp now may not be as relevant as it was in years past. Its proven already that a digital amp (Class D) are very capable.

Yes, digital amps and digital filters opens a new era in term of optimisations, but the automatization of this optimizations seems impossible and only few people will benefit from this advance (very, very few)

Top Bottom